Polygamy kids restrictions lifted

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Polygamy kids restrictions lifted

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:59 am

Apparently while finance-ageddon is going on in the news, this little story popped up:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/12 ... ns-policy/

Apparently there are a lot of fundamentalist kids joining both the mainstream church and their own flavor church and the big corp is ok with it now.

Interesting move.

blazerb

Re: Polygamy kids restrictions lifted

Post by blazerb » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:19 am

It is an interesting change. I don't think the purpose of the ban was to make sure those outside the church knew that it prohibited polygamy. I think the purpose was to make sure polygamists were not seen as normal by church members. You don't want your kids hanging out with fundamentalist kids on Wednesday nights. You want to make sure those polygamists look as weird as possible. We'll see what happens.

Also, I like "finance-ageddon." :D

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:25 am

I thought it was interesting that the polyg Dad in the article thought the mainstream church was more of a threat to their fundamentalist teachings than the other way around. Makes sense given that kids that live in both worlds probably keep their polyg side secret. The mainstream church will somehow assimilate their kids out of polygamy rather than the kids recruiting normal LDS kids into polygamy.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:50 am

Normally during big, public scandals we expect some cool, new announcement from the LDS church. This is commonly seen as a distraction, but is usually welcome. I'm really disappointed if "polygamist kids can get baptized" is the distraction story this time. Nelson doubled down on the Word of Wisdom last summer so lightening up on coffee restrictions was simply not in the cards for this scandal.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:42 am

If they were trying to draw attention away from the IRS whistle blower, they failed miserably.

Baptizing kids of polygamist families only really seams to be an issue in Utah and the Moridor. Out on the east coast it's a non issues and no one cares. None of the major news organizations are following that. Unless you are in Mormonism deep, (one way or another) no one has even heard about it. Even TBMs out here haven't heard that. It's just not a blip on anyone's radar.

IRS scandal? BIG interest on that one. All the major news organizations, from FOXNEWS, to NPR, to the NYT, they are all talking about it.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams