A possible source of Joseph Smith's ideas?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
stuck

A possible source of Joseph Smith's ideas?

Post by stuck » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:21 pm

I was watching the history of Christianity on a great courses lecture and they spoke about Munster's rebellion which sounded a lot like what Joseph Smith did. Here is a link to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnster_rebellion

Arcturus

Re: A possible source of Joseph Smith's ideas?

Post by Arcturus » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:20 pm

I could be wrong, but I think Dan Carlin did an episode on this in his Hard Core History podcast - Prophets of Doom if I recall. Very fascinating history and fascinating parallels with Mormonism. Also shows how crazy religion can be and the damage it can do.

Rather than a possible source, maybe this is just how religious abuse/fanaticism manifests across groups. It’s also a fun exercise to map the parallels between Scientology and Mormonism. Hubbard and Smith have a lot of crazy similarities...
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

annotatedbom

Re: A possible source of Joseph Smith's ideas?

Post by annotatedbom » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:59 am

Arcturus wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:20 pm
I could be wrong, but I think Dan Carlin did an episode on this in his Hard Core History podcast - Prophets of Doom if I recall. Very fascinating history and fascinating parallels with Mormonism. Also shows how crazy religion can be and the damage it can do.

Rather than a possible source, maybe this is just how religious abuse/fanaticism manifests across groups. It’s also a fun exercise to map the parallels between Scientology and Mormonism. Hubbard and Smith have a lot of crazy similarities...
Wow! I listened to that Hard Core History episode not too long after it came out--at least long enough ago that it was still free (looks like that episode costs $1.99 to listen to now). It was amazing (as every episode of that podcast I've listened to has been). I was visiting non-Mormon friends and family in another state right after listening to that episode, and I probably bored them silly talking about the Anabaptists.

And like you, if I had to bet, I'd wager that rather than a possible source for Smith's ideas, it seems more likely that Smith's hunger for power and control organically led to these similarities between Mormonism and the Anabaptists.