How do I teach primary?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
jfro18

Re: How do I teach primary?

Post by jfro18 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:47 pm

You guys made me read the online Come Follow Me outlines... they're much shorter and looser than I thought, but as you said just amazing how manipulative they read having been out now.

Yesterday DW was getting ready to teach SS and was cutting up this fancy gold paper, and it took everything in me not to make a comment that joseph smith never even used them to translate, so why isnt she bringing a rock and a hat.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:04 pm

Linked wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:17 pm
I'm with you on the horrible lesson guides. I used to enjoy reading through lesson manuals, I thought they had a lot of good information. After a broken shelf they are just insidious. Questions like "How do the testimonies of the 3 and 8 witnesses strengthen your testimony?" are so leading, they aren't there to help you find truth, they are there to deepen your indoctrination. It's gross.
Exactly, they feel rather manipulative.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:14 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:31 pm
Well... You could always teach the real truth about the BoM and get yourself fired.

Start teaching about magic rocks and hats, and see how long you last? :shock:
:lol: Oh its defiantly crossed my mind!
jfro18 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:47 pm
You guys made me read the online Come Follow Me outlines... they're much shorter and looser than I thought, but as you said just amazing how manipulative they read having been out now.

Yesterday DW was getting ready to teach SS and was cutting up this fancy gold paper, and it took everything in me not to make a comment that joseph smith never even used them to translate, so why isnt she bringing a rock and a hat.
:lol: yeah its bad.

I should have made some fake plates out of tin and covered them in a cloth, taken them into class, let the kids feel them through the cloth then told them they have now had an experience just like the witnesses did!

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:00 am

slavereeno wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:15 pm
So I accepted a primary teaching calling (yeah my second calling :( ) but I just found out its on Church history. I am sorta glad I don't have to go to SS or EQ now I suppose, but teaching church history from a manual might make my blood boil.

Advice?
Teach as close to the truth as you can. Hopefully, there will not be anyone from the First Ministry of Propaganda to correct you.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:51 am

In case you teach in the nursery, you can still include the lesson on the Book of Mormon translation with a song:

Baby Shark
do do do do do do
Baby Shark

Baby Seer Stone
do do do do do do
Baby Seer Stone

Baby Hat
do do do do do do
Baby Hat

Repeat this through Mommy and Daddy hats, then positively reinforce the lesson with a snack. The toddlers will be glowing with the gospel.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha