Bednar

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Random

Bednar

Post by Random » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:17 pm

I honestly don't know where to put this topic.

I was reading LDSFF and came across this interesting post:
I spent a few years in military intelligence and had the opportunity to interrogate people. Nothing abusive or cruel. Just reading their mannerisms and I can tell you that Bednar is a psychopath. He has no empathy for his fellow man. Everything is black and white and if you are on the opposite side of him you are wrong. Watch his wife when she is around him. She looks as if she has been mentally abused by him. This is all just my opinion of course but heaven forbid he ever becomes the president of the church. Talk about wheat and tares. There will be a flood of people away from that serpent of a man.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Arcturus

Re: Bednar

Post by Arcturus » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:30 pm

This is consistent with what I’ve heard of him as well! My uncle is a 110% TBM professor at BYUI and has said on a few occasions that Bednar rubbed him the wrong way and that opinion is more common than not among folks who were under him during his tenure as president up there. Also have heard that same sentiment is had towards him at Bednar’s other academic institutions.

I think the Oaks and Bednar duo will likely do irreparable harm for the church if they’re both presidents...
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:08 am

Arcturus wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:30 pm
I think the Oaks and Bednar duo will likely do irreparable harm for the church if they’re both presidents...
Unless something "drastic" happens, Both Bednar and Oaks will end up being CEO of LD$-Inc. If irreparable harm happens, I hope that harm is droves of folks leaving the church. The collateral damage that my happen if Oak's continue his constant hate-speech from the pulpit is something I HOPE does not happen.

As far as Bednar being a psychopath, I have no "formal" training or schooling in such, but I do see the behaviors mentioned in the quote. (Is that my own confirmation bias?) If you do a web search of photos of the Bednar's together as a couple, you'll find plenty of photos where Mrs. Bednar is smiling, and "putting on her happy face" for the photo. Seeing her mannerisms in videos when she's sitting with/near Bednar during speeches, I see just the opposite: She looks miserable. To me, her mannerisms during Bednar's "There are no homosexuals in the church" rant spoke volumes.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:54 pm

Arcturus wrote:
Y'all are cruel getting my hopes up like this.

Random

Post by Random » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:10 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:08 am
If irreparable harm happens, I hope that harm is droves of folks leaving the church.
Me, too. A man can do a tremendous amount of damage to a person's life, body, and soul if that person believes everything the man says and does is exactly what God wants - and moreso if that person does not believe, but those around him (parents/spouse/teachers/siblings/friends/neighbors/employers/local law enforcement/etc.) do.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:49 am

I was a student at BYU-I during what I call Bednar's reign of terror. Being a student then was like a constant emotional beat down. I do feel bad for Susan, but she can get ugly too. Bednar told us we were better off dead than unclean. They both constantly yelled at us for dressing "immodestly." The thing is it was f--king Rexburg and freezing cold so really no one was dressed immodestly. It was just their way of mentally screwing with us.

Once during an RS fireside Susan told us she was sick of seeing "every bump and curve" of our breasts. WTF? At the time I felt guilty and ashamed for having boobs. Now I realize how horribly unprofessional and inappropriate it was for her to say that.

There is a scene in The Handmaid's Tale where all the handmaids are brought to the training center and they are still in their street clothes. None off them are dressed immodestly, but Aunt Lydia says "Look at the parade of sluts." And when I saw that I had flash backs to my BYU-I days.

Sh!ts gonna get real when Bedanr or Oaks take over. Under His Eye.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:54 am

slavereeno wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:54 pm
Arcturus wrote:
Y'all are cruel getting my hopes up like this.
This is also the villain in me that just wants to watch the world burn. I commented to a friend that I was slightly disappointed when Monson outlived Packer and thus denied us all the opportunity to have Packer's gravelly voice be revered as prophet for a couple of years. One can only speculate on the nature of Boyd Packer's time at the helm of the Good Ship Zion.

But, we're in luck! It is demographically likely that Bednar will be the prophetic face of LDS leadership for a solid number of years. He is in better physical shape than Boyd Packer, but does come from a similar background in CES and education. The barely restrained glee exhibited by Nelson two years ago at his inaugural press conference was simply his joy at getting control of the direction of the LDS church. Nelson's unfortunate caricature of "Monty Burns" from The Simpsons is only a foretaste of Bednar's "Superintendent Chalmers". I can hardly wait.

Random

Post by Random » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:18 am

MoPag wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:49 am
I was a student at BYU-I during what I call Bednar's reign of terror. Being a student then was like a constant emotional beat down. I do feel bad for Susan, but she can get ugly too. Bednar told us we were better off dead than unclean. They both constantly yelled at us for dressing "immodestly." The thing is it was f--king Rexburg and freezing cold so really no one was dressed immodestly. It was just their way of mentally screwing with us.

Once during an RS fireside Susan told us she was sick of seeing "every bump and curve" of our breasts. WTF? At the time I felt guilty and ashamed for having boobs. Now I realize how horribly unprofessional and inappropriate it was for her to say that.
How horrible! I hope you've recovered from the emotional abuse.

I'm wondering why she was looking at the bumps and curves of women's breasts? Like, did her husband complain? It just seems strange to me that she'd notice it on her own.

PK

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:11 pm

Random wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:18 am
MoPag wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:49 am

How horrible! I hope you've recovered from the emotional abuse.

I'm wondering why she was looking at the bumps and curves of women's breasts? Like, did her husband complain? It just seems strange to me that she'd notice it on her own.
Because she had to find an equal opportunity offense where she wasn’t singling out a few but rather everyone.

The number one way to find fault is to body shame everyone for immodesty. As MoPag said, it’s F*cking Rexburg which means everyone could easily show up bundled in a winter coat and they would still pick on everyone for having their coats bundled too tight! Stuff like this only facilitates and fosters the cult label.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:04 pm

Sigh. I feel so sorry for Rexburg citizens - and for R̶i̶c̶k̶'s̶ ̶C̶o̶l̶l̶e̶g̶e̶ BYU-I students.

PK

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:21 am

If there was one COBler I could meet on the street it would be Bendnar. I have this social fantasy where I meet him in a public place and have the opportunity to challenge him to strike me dumb, def, blind or dead. I'd call him out on being a dishonest false prophet who has zero magic powers, yet expects everyone to standup when he enters a room and claims to have such powers. "Alma 30 beeautch! Let's make it happen!" Show all these good people that pay you 10% that you really do have the power of god!"

Didn't think so...
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:49 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:21 am
If there was one COBler I could meet on the street it would be Bendnar. I have this social fantasy where I meet him in a public place and have the opportunity to challenge him to strike me dumb, def, blind or dead. I'd call him out on being a dishonest false prophet who has zero magic powers, yet expects everyone to standup when he enters a room and claims to have such powers. "Alma 30 beeautch! Let's make it happen!" Show all these good people that pay you 10% that you really do have the power of god!"

Didn't think so...
I think my fantasy would be if I were to run into one of them would be to just treat them like the nobody that they are. At this point there's only a couple I would actually recognize anyway... but I think I would get a LOT of satisfaction from treating them like any other human and not feed their rock star ego.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:10 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:49 am
I think my fantasy would be if I were to run into one of them would be to just treat them like the nobody that they are. At this point there's only a couple I would actually recognize anyway... but I think I would get a LOT of satisfaction from treating them like any other human and not feed their rock star ego.
And be sure to call them by their first name.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:08 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:10 pm
crossmyheart wrote:
A head jerk and a "Sup, David" would be perfect.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:57 pm

Reuben wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:08 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:10 pm
crossmyheart wrote:
A head jerk and a "Sup, David" would be perfect.
While shaking their hand: "Who are you again?"

"Oh, you're one of those guys. You have blood on your hands." (While pulling hand away and looking at it.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:34 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:

Didn't think so...
I've fantasized about meeting him and acting as though I have no idea who he is or calling him Mr. Bednar - or being in a meeting where he is and standing up and walking out after the meeting, before he stands up.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:35 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Yes. And I think it would be good for their souls if this happened many times to them.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:39 pm

I like Hagoth and Reuben's idea - if one was going to actually recognize him.

PK

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:48 am

crossmyheart wrote:
RubinHighlander wrote:

Didn't think so...

I met Christofferson at a funeral. He and his wife came in during the family prayer time. They seemed like very nice, quiet people. HOWEVER--what got me was they way they were so accustomed to being celebrities. They were there are dignitaries to greet everyone, not to honor their deceased friend and mourn with the family. They were making a PR visit, not coming to a funeral. They were happy, cheerful to meet people, etc. It was off putting to me, knowing what I know. And I did act very indifferent, "oh, hello. Thanks for coming. How did you know him..." They were also not used to indifference in their presence. Everyone TBM thought it was "oh so speshul" to have them there and know their uncle was a friend of ELDER Christofferson.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:17 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:48 am
crossmyheart wrote:
RubinHighlander wrote:

Didn't think so...

I met Christofferson at a funeral. He and his wife came in during the family prayer time. They seemed like very nice, quiet people. HOWEVER--what got me was they way they were so accustomed to being celebrities. They were there are dignitaries to greet everyone, not to honor their deceased friend and mourn with the family. They were making a PR visit, not coming to a funeral. They were happy, cheerful to meet people, etc. It was off putting to me, knowing what I know. And I did act very indifferent, "oh, hello. Thanks for coming. How did you know him..." They were also not used to indifference in their presence. Everyone TBM thought it was "oh so speshul" to have them there and know their uncle was a friend of ELDER Christofferson.
I have a similar story involving DHO who showed up at our ward one day to a relative's baby blessing. Because of where I was sitting I ended up face to face with him and his offered handshake. I accepted the handshake with polite indifference, but thought I read in his face and body language a sense of surprise that I was not starstruck. Perhaps just my own confirmation bias, or perhaps not.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born