Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Hermey

Re: 420

Post by Hermey » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:30 pm

BringEmYoung wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:41 am
Hermey wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:40 am
BringEmYoung wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:34 am
+1 for dry herb vaping. I use the Dynavap. It's cheap and effective. 1 gram lasts me several months (I use once or twice a week). I tried edibles, but after being high for well over 12 hours and very dizzy off of 15mg, I abandoned that method.
Nice. It's amazing how much much more efficient/effective it is.
Yes, I marvel at how potent such a small pinch of flower is when vaped. In fact, I wish I could blow through it a little quicker cause I want to try some new strains :)
Totally. It's a two-edged sword, isn't it? :lol: I'll be in Oregon next week. Should be interesting....

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:50 pm

Another update: I've gone as high as 13mg in edibles, still no effect other than a good night's sleep.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:51 pm

Sounds like you are not having much luck with THC. Might be time to try some cubensis fungus?
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:51 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:50 pm
Another update: I've gone as high as 13mg in edibles, still no effect other than a good night's sleep.
I’ve tried edibles only once — about 3.5 decent sized brownies. 3.5 because I wasn’t feeling anything after the first so I went for it.

Wow. I was high as a kite very quick. It was a Sat night my group of friends and I tried the brownies. I slept pretty much uninterrupted until Tue around 11am, with maybe 3-4 hours total of a little eating/drinking/restroom that entire time.

Would’ve gone to the hospital had I not listened to How Stuff Works Podcast episode on edibles. You can’t overdose on THC...

Don’t think I’ll ever try edibles again after that. And I’m hesitant to ever try the green goddess in other forms. I’ve heard it’s best enjoyed inhaling it. I just have little interest in experimenting further...
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:06 am

Arcturus wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:51 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:50 pm
I’ve tried edibles only once — about 3.5 decent sized brownies. 3.5 because I wasn’t feeling anything after the first so I went for it.

Wow. I was high as a kite very quick. It was a Sat night my group of friends and I tried the brownies. I slept pretty much uninterrupted until Tue around 11am, with maybe 3-4 hours total of a little eating/drinking/restroom that entire time.

Would’ve gone to the hospital had I not listened to How Stuff Works Podcast episode on edibles. You can’t overdose on THC...

Don’t think I’ll ever try edibles again after that. And I’m hesitant to ever try the green goddess in other forms. I’ve heard it’s best enjoyed inhaling it. I just have little interest in experimenting further...
So I've seen this problem several times with my friends that have never tried it. There's a few things that can make the first experience go wrong and Arcturus provided a good example. The main problem is, there's no THC already in your system if you've never done it before or it's been a couple of weeks. So the first dose of an edible is not likely to have any effect. Then you take another soon after and then it's too much THC all at once because the flood gate opens; they get loopy and dizzy and I've even seen folks get nausea from the spins and barf. Ideally you could take one whole gummy and see what happens or just a half and nothing will likely happen. Then the next day take another half (or whole if you have no where to be and can just chill at home). Other things that can dull the effects of THC edibles are anti-depressants and even high doses of CBD.

The advantage of vape or smoke over the edibles is that you can get a more immediate effect and you can keep hitting it every couple of minutes until you feel it kick off, then stop. But if you've never smoke anything before, it's can be a real challenge. I like the cigar method, where the smoke sits in my mouth for a bit then I take it in with air from my nose in smaller hits, makes it less harsh. Same for the vape. There does seem to be a slightly different buzz from smoke vs. vape vs. edibles, but just minor differences. I really like the pure flower in the bong once in a while on a weekend and get really deep into a nice high for 3-4 hours.

Edibles take about 30 minutes to start ramping up. I like edibles when I'm heading to a concert or on the last leg of a long hike or just working through a nasty virus at home. I think if you can use them once or twice a week you'll have enough THC in your system to keep the receptors open and they will be effective for most people. I think a lot of folks thing THC will be like alcohol; have a beer on an empty stomach and feel the buzz within a minute or two of consumption. MJ is a little more complex than that. I will say that MJ has significantly reduced my alcohol consumption; I didn't drink that much before but now I might have a beer like once every two weeks and hard stuff only once a month. I'll also say the alcohol and THC pair up just fine in moderate amounts of course.

Another warning - don't ever smoke/vape AND eat an edible at the same time; that's a path to getting the spins and nausea and you'll probably have a bad time.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:46 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:51 pm
Sounds like you are not having much luck with THC. Might be time to try some cubensis fungus?
Seems like it. Sad. Was hoping to see what its about. Friend of mine grows mushrooms and offered me a try but I am not sure on timing. She lives a ways away from me.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:43 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:46 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
Seems like it. Sad. Was hoping to see what its about. Friend of mine grows mushrooms and offered me a try but I am not sure on timing. She lives a ways away from me.
Here's some quick tips: If you get some from her, start with .25 to .5 grams to get a feel for the euphoria, lasts from 3-6 hours but you'll be fully functional. When you get into 2-4Gs you should see some amazing things. I like to grind them up into a powder with my coffee bean grinder and mix them into a glass of OJ, that kicks them off in 5-10 minutes. Set and setting are very important; be somewhere comfortable and safe, be in a good mood, a walk, short hike or exercise is a good idea to get in a good state. For a big trip we spend the morning cleaning the house and room, removing distractions and such. The tub is a great place to start, it's a very liquid experience for me and we always have lots of things to drink (lime Perrier is our favorite), expect to pee a lot. It helps me to stay away from gluten the morning of a big trip, just protein, like some eggs, then wait at least an hour. Music can be good and bad you have to find something that syncs up; Pink Floyd Endless River seems to be the most popular. It can be hard to sleep after a trip because your brain will be buzzing with lots of new connections; I usually hit the THC to help me relax and sleep. Good luck!
--Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:04 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
RubinHighlander wrote:
Did you catch this 60 minutes segment last fall?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/psychedeli ... 019-12-29/

I think a heroic dose they talk about is probably in the range of 6Gs and it would be something you would not want to trifle with unsupervised! But it's amazing the success rate they are having solving major issues where no other solution existed, sometimes just one session. Fingers are crossed that they research continues and frees up the restrictions. But it will always be about government control and over regulation. Big pharma $$ will see to that.
--Douglas Adams

BringEmYoung

Post by BringEmYoung » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:50 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:06 am
I will say that MJ has significantly reduced my alcohol consumption; I didn't drink that much before but now I might have a beer like once every two weeks and hard stuff only once a month. I'll also say the alcohol and THC pair up just fine in moderate amounts of course.
Same here. I definitely drink less after discovering MJ. I do like to combine one drink with vaping and it seems to put me in a good place. I recently overdid it with the combination, however, and ended up extremely paranoid. I had never experienced that before and hope to never again. It sucked.

Over the holidays I picked up a Fury 2 dry-herb vaporizer hoping to decrease the smell when compared to the dynavap and be more stealth. It seems to have accomplished that. Also, it hits a little less hard than the dynavap which is probably a good thing for someone like me with low tolerance.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:05 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:04 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
RubinHighlander wrote:
Did you catch this 60 minutes segment last fall?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/psychedeli ... 019-12-29/

I think a heroic dose they talk about is probably in the range of 6Gs and it would be something you would not want to trifle with unsupervised! But it's amazing the success rate they are having solving major issues where no other solution existed, sometimes just one session. Fingers are crossed that they research continues and frees up the restrictions. But it will always be about government control and over regulation. Big pharma $$ will see tqo that.
My friends have used ketamine for PTSD with some success.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:43 am

BringEmYoung wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:50 pm
I recently overdid it with the combination, however, and ended up extremely paranoid. I had never experienced that before and hope to never again. It sucked.
Yup, I overdid it with a friend once, trying to get the MJ to kick in for him, because the THC was not already in his system. He had a brownie, then hit the pen but bam! - all kicked in at once and it was too much. He nearly passed out, got the spins, threw up, nauseated for a couple of hours. I felt so bad I did the same thing the next weekend just to see if that's really what threw him into that bad of a trip. One brownie, hit the pen twice and man it was ugly. The visuals were like 100 TVs on the wall playing crappy ads in very short segments, eyes open or closed, it was just as unpleasant. Never got the paranoia but I've had that in the past too. But I don't regret going through it because A - you won't die and B - it's good to know where those thresholds are.
--Douglas Adams