If I didn't have the gospel in my life...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

If I didn't have the gospel in my life...

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:40 pm

The thread about wombats got me thinking of all of the times I have heard people say things like "If I didn't have the gospel in my life I know I would be a horrible person."

What does that mean?

Do they believe that they are horrible people but the church is keeping them under control? Are they really horrible people who want to do horrible things but the church keeps them aware that they will be punished for doing what they really desire? By "horrible" do they mean that without the church they might drink coffee, watch R-rated movies and have a favorable view of same-sex marriage, so they would only be horrible according to the definition of Mormons?

I am reminded of Penn Jillette's declaration that he rapes and murders exactly as much as he wants.

It makes me grateful that the LDS church exists. I take comfort in knowing that all of those potential rapists and murderers are being kept in check.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Linked

Re: If I didn't have the gospel in my life...

Post by Linked » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:58 pm

I think the TBM view that the church keeps them in check is mainly a manifestation of the Us vs. Them mentality that is rampant among believing members. The World is evil, all of the worst things to mormons are worldly. These include truly awful things like murder, rape, and abuse, as well as the stuff that are more of a mormon thing like coffee, swearing, and shopping on Sunday. So, if they don't have the gospel to protect them from the World, then they would do Worldly things, from drinking coffee to eating babies.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:08 pm

My wife said this when I first started reading about the church.

I asked the same thing, because I told her that I've known her since she was in high school, and there's absolutely no way she would be a horrible person if she was not a member of the church.

And I acknowledged that being raised in the church did teach her some good things (being kind, forgiveness, charity, etc), but that bad people are typically going to be bad people which is why we know people in the local wards who cheated on their spouses, been charged with theft, etc.

But that is such a drilled in idea that it's a go to response and she absolutely believes it... it's really sad to see because she is absolutely an amazing person and it's not because she is afraid of what happens if she isn't, but instead of having that confidence in herself she gives all of the credit to the church.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:31 pm

I just had two thoughts occur to me: 1-Whatever the religious gene (or genes) look like, it is very common, because most people have it. 2- People with this gene/genes know the church is true, because they really need life to make sense, and one way for life to make sense is to know the church is true.
Another way for life to make sense, is to believe that a loving, truthful God, or just plain knowledge and love, or whatever makes the world go round, is fascinating, and worth exploring. And passing on to the next generation, or anybody really (if they are interested) is worthwhile. At least it feels purposeful to me. When I think about the things I know that I would never have known if I didn't question the Church's teachings I want to say, "hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah for the internet." ;) Them what's got ears to hear, let 'em hear.

A third thought. 3. I'm glad I've never been tempted by the kind of power Joseph Smith had. I think I might have fallen harder, and done less good and more harm than he did.

This seems unrelated to the topic. Sorry. :?
Last edited by deacon blues on Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:20 pm

To get back to the topic- I don't think most people who say that have thought much about what they would do if they learned the Church isn't true. They don't even ask "Could the Church be untrue?" because they are afraid of disturbing the orderliness of their LDS/TBM world view, where everything is in it's perfect place. Not all LDS are like this, but I know many are.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:01 pm

If I didn’t have the gospel in my life...

I would have:
A boat
More money saved
A smaller underwear drawer
More friends
A different outlook on life
Less religious ptsd

I would not have:
An addiction to internet Mormonism
A Reddit account
A NOM account
A friendship with Kish and Corsair!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:20 am

Most non-Mormons are about as happy as most Mormons. Statistically few of them are rapists and murderers. What would I be like without the Church? Pretty much like I am now, probably with less baggage. I read a quote long ago about the Church that has always stuck with me: “your apples aren’t any better than anyone else’s apples”.

The Church sure screws with your mind making you think you and your family would be savage barbarians without it.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph