Saved as we fake it !

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Mackman

Saved as we fake it !

Post by Mackman » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:28 am

According to evangelicals all you need to be saved is faith in Jesus Christ. Even baptism is not absolutely necessary and is just an outward expression of faith. So my point here is as many of us fake it and remain in the lds church for family and or friends I bet many of us still believe in basic christianity and have faith in Jesus Christ so we myself included probably should not worry about being saved as we do good works have faith etc etc I dont think we will be condemned by a God who knows our heart and were forced to follow a fake religion for family and friends. I guess I am looking for a little feedback on this because I am trying to justify staying in a church I know is Fake as fake can be . Thanks.

Palerider

Re: Saved as we fake it !

Post by Palerider » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:48 am

During my disengagement from the church I had the same thoughts you have expressed cross my mind. The one thing I immediately decided was, "Yes, I may continue coming to your meetings for a time and I may fulfill a menial calling where I don't have to teach what I consider false doctrine, but you guys are no longer getting ANY of my money to support your cultish organization. I no longer support what you're doing."

I may post more on this later when I have more time, but the main thing for me was....no more money! No more support.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:50 am

Mackman, I'll gladly buy you a drink at the Judgement Bar. Since I no longer pay tithing, I can afford it.

I am heavily involved in faking it. I am an undercover unbeliever and, therefore, an inveterate liar. I'm happy with claiming basic Christianity and certainly the teachings of Jesus. I have read a fair amount of Christian history and find the centuries of argument over details to be mostly amusing. The "filioque" controversy alone just feels silly after more than a thousand years of contention. The Mormons walted into the One True Church argument after 1800 years and this leaves me rolling my eyes at the detailed commandments that Russell Nelson insists upon.

So yes, I'm faking a lot of things. And I would still feel comfortable explaining my actions in whatever post-mortal life ends up for my consciousness. My aim is simply to support my family and the good people in the ward where I attend church. My widower father loves his temple calling and my dear wife loves family history. I am happy to maintain a temple recommend through any underhanded means in support of them. I harbor no contention towards the vast majority of apostates who need to leave for their own emotional well-being. They are following a different path that is good for them and probably harder in many ways..

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:31 am

Better to live authentic. Belief in Jesus or not I would rather face god having lived an authentic life doing good deeds as much as possible than defend myself by being a good faker.

It may not be something you can do immediately but something that needs to be your end game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:35 am

I’m faking it less and less, but still faking it. Living on the fringes of Mormonism.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:39 pm

If we're using Evangelicalism as the measuring stick then no, faking it in the Mormon church will not save you. I had an Evangelical explain it to me. See, Mormons believe in their own version of Jesus, which is not the real Jesus. He's a fictional version who LDS theology tells us was conceived from a literal act of sex by a Mormon god named Elohim who sneaked up on poor unsuspecting Mary in the middle of the night. Neither Elohim nor his offspring - The Mormon Jesus - are the real God. So, accepting Mormon Jesus as your savior makes you just a little bit better than heathens who have never heard of Jesus (and who are going to Hell because they have not accepted him as their savior), so not close enough to grab the brass ring.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:42 am

One delusional says to the other delusional, "Your Bonaparte isn't real".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:58 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:42 am
One delusional says to the other delusional, "Your Bonaparte isn't real".
Sounds like a playground argument to me: "My Bonaparte can beat up your Bonaparte!"
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:56 pm

Interesting post. Thank you.

The thing is, none of us know what lies beyond this life, although we may have ideas. To me it is pointless to rule out any teachings that we don't know about as they may be true. The Mormon church has tried from its inception to claim the only true church nonsense, and although most of us bit off on that, we know better now. No true church. No "saved" nonsense. No "I'm better than you cause have an important position in a church".

If there is an afterlife, and I believe that there is, the theme of happiness is going to be pretty much the same as it is here, and probably always has been; love, kindness, compassion, and a willing mind and heart. We all know this and we always have.

Tithing, reading scriptures, not drinking coffee in front of other Mormons, things like that- we know is just nonsense, and has nothing to do with love and kindness and the like.

I believe that we came from someplace and that we are going someplace, and whatever we do along the way to "cheer up the sad or make someone feel glad", even if that person is our selves, well, that's all the better. And that's all I believe.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell