Offloading

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Thoughtful

Offloading

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:47 pm

How to get rid of 2 tons of wheat? In a way that benefits me? My chickens eat a little....

2bizE

Re: Offloading

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:24 pm

You could use it to make wheat beer??
~2bizE

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:58 am

2bizE wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:24 pm
You could use it to make wheat beer??
Hmm...any tips?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:02 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:47 pm
How to get rid of 2 tons of wheat? In a way that benefits me? My chickens eat a little....
Any other "micro" farms, or similar near you that could take some? Other folks with "farm" animals that could consume said grain?

We have a "rescue" farm near us that takes donations similar to this. (I'm not positive about the hard, red wheat. :D )
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:05 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:02 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Any other "micro" farms, or similar near you that could take some? Other folks with "farm" animals that could consume said grain?

We have a "rescue" farm near us that takes donations similar to this. (I'm not positive about the hard, red wheat. :D )
I will ask around to my farming friends. I could give it to the mormons, but that doesnt benefit me.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:29 am

You can grow special fungus on it that produces magic molecules and tap into the secrets of the cosmos. No, seriously!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:31 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:05 am
wtfluff wrote:
Thoughtful wrote:

I will ask around to my farming friends. I could give it to the mormons, but that doesnt benefit me.
Preppers? (Sorry... I couldn't restrain my fingers...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:36 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thoughtful wrote:

You have to be careful when feeding pure grain to animals. Cattle and Horses for example have to have a mix of grass into their diet. Pure grain can cause deadly digestive issues. With some planning, it can be mixed into feed and consumed, but it could take a little while to git though a large quantity. It's at least worth while to talk to farmers in your area.

Talk to your local food pantries to see if they could use it.

Heck, list it on Craig's List or in your local classifies. See if someone is is willing to buy it.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:03 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:36 am
wtfluff wrote:
Thoughtful wrote:

You have to be careful when feeding pure grain to animals. Cattle and Horses for example have to have a mix of grass into their diet. Pure grain can cause deadly digestive issues. With some planning, it can be mixed into feed and consumed, but it could take a little while to git though a large quantity. It's at least worth while to talk to farmers in your area.

Talk to your local food pantries to see if they could use it.

Heck, list it on Craig's List or in your local classifies. See if someone is is willing to buy it.
Yeah that's why I go through it so slowly, my hens just get a tiny bit every week or two.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:25 pm

I know this isn’t the answer to your question, but I’ll put this here in case it can help someone else with this or something similar.

Sometimes sunk costs are sunk costs, and the thing that benefits us most is to get rid of it and move on.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:35 pm

MerrieMiss wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:25 pm
I know this isn’t the answer to your question, but I’ll put this here in case it can help someone else with this or something similar.

Sometimes sunk costs are sunk costs, and the thing that benefits us most is to get rid of it and move on.
Yeah, I was gonna mention that there's definitely a lot of hard red wheat in the landfills in UT. :shock:

Benefit: NOT having 2 tons of next-to-useless wheat.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:38 pm

MerrieMiss wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:25 pm

Good advice. I want to see if it can be useful. But I also wanna get it out of here.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:24 pm

With resin and concrete, you could make hard wheat. :D
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha