This is the Place... to Rant!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

This is the Place... to Rant!

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:07 pm

I was thinking we haven’t had a lot of anger on the board lately or at least had any epic rants. I thought we could start a mega thread for rants.

Then I wrote out this long rant and set my phone down only to have it close and upon opening the web page refreshed and my rant was gone. It was cathartic to type out. Essentially I typed out all the things I was tired of relative to Mormon surroundings and recent drama. I’ll spare the details and pat myself on the back for not mentioning garments. Low hanging fruit. Silly fruit that looks bad.

If you need to read a rant I would suggest googling “The Holy Ghost is a Pu$$y!” by Lloyd Dobbler that originated on the now defunct Post Mormon forum. Here, I found a link for you too lazy to google internet newbies.

https://mormonbandwagon.com/postmormon/ ... host-is-a/

So what’s bothering you? Let’s hear your rant!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Reuben

Re: This is the Place... to Rant!

Post by Reuben » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:29 pm

Dear Mormon friends:

You're all too chicken-shit to be my friends anymore.

Ever been bullied?

Ever seen the other kids standing in a circle around you, afraid to do anything because they might be next?

Ever listened to a whole classroom that gave in to laughing at you because they were afraid to regard you as a person?

Those other kids are you. You all are the yellow-livered delusional half-wits who think keeping your place in the social hierarchy is the most important thing in the world. So you show off your designer spirituality and you repeat your popular dogmas, and to hell with me and how I feel. You're afraid to do otherwise. Right?

No? You would stand up for me? You're not like those kids? You grew up and learned courage?

Fine. Let's test your courage.

My bullies are your so-called prophets and apostles.

Stand up to them.

Say they're wrong about me. In public.

And now I've split you, my former friends, into two groups: those who think they're wrong about me, and those who think they're right.

To those who think your prophets are wrong: grow a pair and say something. Oh, it would be inappropriate? It would be too contentious? You worry about the spiritually weak? Liar. You're chicken-shit, and you know it. If you stand up for me, you might be next.

Just like those kids.

To those who think your prophets are right: grow a pair and look into it. Oh, but you always follow the prophets? You want the safety they say God promised you? Guess what that means? You're chicken-shit, too afraid to think for yourself, to do what it takes to regard me as a person.

Just like those kids.

And so I leave you all to wallow in your toxic, self-aggrandizing cesspool of faux spirituality, where you can be safe in the knowledge that you're right and that God likes you best. Well done finding the truth. Good job. Way to wear the right clothes, style your hair just so, like the right music, and say the expected words.

You are truly the elect, assholes.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:20 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:07 pm
If you need to read a rant I would suggest googling “The Holy Ghost is a Pu$$y!” by Lloyd Dobbler that originated on the now defunct Post Mormon forum. Here, I found a link for you too lazy to google internet newbies.

That was a glorious rant. And it's based on sound reasoning, not just complaining. I would really have to dig for a faithful response to this profanity laden tale of life long disappointment with the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:07 pm

Corsair wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:20 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:07 pm

That was a glorious rant. And it's based on sound reasoning, not just complaining. I would really have to dig for a faithful response to this profanity laden tale of life long disappointment with the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

So I read the rant.

I would just say that I don't think this guy's issue should be with the Holy Ghost. It should be with the false doctrines that LDS church leadership teach regarding the Holy Ghost.

Their teachings consistently over-promise and under-deliver. It would be like me trying to sell you a horse that I claim can run 65 miles an hour. That can be measured pretty quickly. Religious teachings? Not so much....

The Holy Ghost deals in Truth and reality. He can't fulfill the false promises made by men, no matter how well intentioned (or manipulative) they may be. It wouldn't be correct or fair.
If the promises and doctrines of men fail on a consistent basis, and we feel frustrated or confused by that situation it might be the Holy Ghost telling us to look elsewhere for enlightenment. Even if Mormon leadership tries to gaslight you and tells you it's your fault.

Or He might even be waiting for usto wake up of our own volition as possibly this person did who wrote the rant. But he's mistakenly blaming the wrong individual. God doesn't teach that there will be "constant companionship" through the "gift of the Holy Ghost." Only Mormon leadership teaches that fallacy.

And lest we forget, the person himself has a big say in this effort that we sometimes forget. Our brains and conscience were given to us for a reason. Don't discount Heavenly Father giving a person the time to work this out for themselves.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

slk

Post by slk » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:01 pm

My favorite part "moms looking at other moms and their boob jobs"

I'd have to say that this was one of my early issues how we as nembers have the HG and everyone else only having the Light of Christ. What a joke!

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:03 pm

Palerider wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:07 pm
If the promises and doctrines of men fail on a consistent basis, and we feel frustrated or confused by that situation it might be the Holy Ghost telling us to look elsewhere for enlightenment. Even if Mormon leadership tries to gaslight you and tells you it's your fault.
Yes, this is the undercurrent of most posts on NOM. I will have to post this in another thread, but I am in Nauvoo this weekend with my wife visiting my parents who are missionaries here. Everything good that happened is tied to Joseph Smith. Everything bad that happened is tied to mobs and anti-Mormons. At no time is there a chance for basic inspiration to allow another conclusion.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:50 pm

I think I figured out that guy's problem. He was probably praying too late into the night. Everyone knows the Holy Ghost goes to bed at midnight.

Which leads to another question. Does the HG say his prayers before he goes to bed?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:33 pm

I would like to rant about getting assigned a ministering companion in an email from the elders quorum recently. I had been pretty chill about all things mormon lately until this email popped up. Turns out they assigned me a another fairly less active companion and assigned us to minister to 2 other completely inactive families, effectively making this a totally symbolic gesture of inneffective bureaucratic nonsense. I replied that I no longer accept assignments and to remove me from the list.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:34 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:33 pm
I would like to rant about getting assigned a ministering companion in an email from the elders quorum recently. I had been pretty chill about all things mormon lately until this email popped up. Turns out they assigned me a another fairly less active companion and assigned us to minister to 2 other completely inactive families, effectively making this a totally symbolic gesture of inneffective bureaucratic nonsense. I replied that I no longer accept assignments and to remove me from the list.
😎👍
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington