The temple ceremony’s Egyptian origin

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Red Ryder

The temple ceremony’s Egyptian origin

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:17 pm

I didn’t want to hijack Corsairs travel log so I’ll start this thread new.
“alas” wrote:Hugh Nibley is the one who invented the connection between Egyptian art and the endowment. My husband got a copy of his book sometime in the 80s and I looked through it enough to think that if he stretched things any further it would be hilarious. It was the biggest pile of unadulterated crap ever invented....well maybe Joseph gave Nibley a run for his money. So, look up his theories or go to DIs for an old copy of his book. I can’t believe there are still people...
Nibley was onto something before he was whacked by the FP. It’s true. See the resemblance of the green apron?

And the witness couple? They’re Friday night regulars from the Alma 9th Ward!

Notice their white “temple clothes” and raising the hands up in the air like they just don’t care, singing hey ho, hear the words of thy mouth three times!

And the dark line representing the veil! Notice the temple worker on the right, his garments hanging out?! See, Nibley was on to something.

Here we have the Egyptian men waiting in the lobby for their wives to change back into their Sunday clothes before heading to the cafeteria for tapioca pudding!!!

After waiting for what feels like an eternity, the women emerge from the dressing room the and end Friday night date night with a trip to the temple cafeteria! Also, that’s not a nipple it’s a mole on her armpit. Note the menu on the right? Sorry peeps, we out of tapioca!!

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Re: The temple ceremony’s Egyptian origin

Post by wtfluff » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:32 pm

Dear Cronus!

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:42 pm

Nibley had it nailed down to the exact role Anubis plays in the Temple ceremony. Pele Ale, Elder Orsirus justified.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:40 am

The book is The Message of the Joseph Smith Papyri. I remember the presence of white and green in Egyptian sacred art being one of his main points of comparison. I'm certain you won't find those two colors in any other cultural contexts.

This is also where Nibley talks about some of his alternate theories, like the Long Scroll Hypothesis, that plague the credulous to this very day.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:42 am

Oh my gods! Thanks for the literal LOLs this morning before I dive into a day full of meetings.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:52 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:17 pm
I may have to hijack your thread. Have you been talking to my mother-in-law? In Nauvoo she quite confidently told me that the LDS church sent Elder Bruce Porter over to Egypt to confirm that the ancient Egyptians had the temple ceremony. They didn't have the priesthood to administer the temple ordinances, but they just performed them anyway because they wanted the blessings or something like that.

Elder Porter produced some videos that talk about this and my mother-in-law urged me to pay attention to what they say. I asked if other non-LDS Egyptologists had agreed with this view of ancient temple ceremonies. She was annoyed by that question noting that because Elder Porter was a Seventy he must be correct in his conclusions.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:50 pm

Dearest Cowboy: Can you please point out where the "Matter Unorganized" is located on the panels?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:52 am
Red Ryder wrote:
I may have to hijack your thread. Have you been talking to my mother-in-law? In Nauvoo she quite confidently told me that the LDS church sent Elder Bruce Porter over to Egypt to confirm that the ancient Egyptians had the temple ceremony. They didn't have the priesthood to administer the temple ordinances, but they just performed them anyway because they wanted the blessings or something like that.

Elder Porter produced some videos that talk about this and my mother-in-law urged me to pay attention to what they say. I asked if other non-LDS Egyptologists had agreed with this view of ancient temple ceremonies. She was annoyed by that question noting that because Elder Porter was a Seventy he must be correct in his conclusions.
Not to throw a monkey in the works between you and your MIL, but this isn't Elder Bruce Porter of the Seventy. He's just Bruce Porter of the CES/BYU instructor. Will that change her mind about what he has to say?

For proof, there's this:

http://www.ancienthistoricalresearchfou ... uce-porter

Sorry to burst your MIL's bubble!
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:22 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Not to throw a monkey in the works between you and your MIL, but this isn't Elder Bruce Porter of the Seventy. He's just Bruce Porter of the CES/BYU instructor. Will that change her mind about what he has to say?

For proof, there's this:

http://www.ancienthistoricalresearchfou ... uce-porter

Sorry to burst your MIL's bubble!
I'm happy to have any bubbles burst. My dear mother-in-law was quite confident that Brother Porter was authorized by the institutional LDS church at the very least.

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:50 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:52 am
Red Ryder wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: just wow........
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:31 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:50 pm
Dearest Cowboy: Can you please point out where the "Matter Unorganized" is located on the panels?
Here we have a picture of the Egyptians organizing that matter. Yes it looks like a vineyard full of employees picking the seasonal grape for wine, but if you drink too much or becomes “matter unorganized”.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:40 am

First image. Top left corner. People are sitting on chairs in a row....sure sign of temple ritual.
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:50 am

2bizE wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:40 am
First image. Top left corner. People are sitting on chairs in a row....sure sign of temple ritual.
Same image, notice the position of his hand? Extended, surely a sign of the nail? Notice the hand just below, surely that of the temple worker passing out signs?

Notice the eye on the right? Surely the Houston Astros stealing signs! :lol:

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:17 am

No words...

“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:23 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:17 am
No words...

Ahhh, Valentine’s Day Min.
~2bizE

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:19 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
No words...

Joseph Smith had words for this... "God sitting on his throne, revealing through the heavens the grand key-words of the priesthood."

It is unreal to watch people redefine Min to make that less embarrassing, and they're STILL doing that today.

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:21 am

This is the best thread I've seen in a very long time. Awesome! Red Ryder is the first 2020 NOMinee for an award.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:26 am

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:19 am
RubinHighlander wrote:
No words...

Joseph Smith had words for this... "God sitting on his throne, revealing through the heavens the grand key-words of the priesthood."

It is unreal to watch people redefine Min to make that less embarrassing, and they're STILL doing that today.
Ignore the boner, what you need to be noticing here is the green and white, the altar, the hand raised to the square, and the hand poking through a compass-shaped opening. I mean, c'mon people!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:28 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:31 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:50 pm
Here we have a picture of the Egyptians organizing that matter. Yes it looks like a vineyard full of employees picking the seasonal grape for wine, but if you drink too much or becomes “matter unorganized”.
Sorry, folks, this is obviously Zeno's allegory of the olives. In Reformed Egyptian olives translates to grapes.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:30 am

You know what's awesome about Min? THat the church removed the boner in the PoGP for a while before having to restore it once they realized what it was and that Joseph got it wrong.

i read a post from an apologist who is the #DezNat version of Hugh Nibley that said Min was originally the God of creation, and that's why Joseph Smith *correctly* identified the figure as God sitting upon his throne.

You can not make that up.