The temple ceremony’s Egyptian origin

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
wtfluff

Re: The temple ceremony’s Egyptian origin

Post by wtfluff » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:49 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:28 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:31 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:50 pm
Dearest Cowboy: Can you please point out where the "Matter Unorganized" is located on the panels?
Here we have a picture of the Egyptians organizing that matter. Yes it looks like a vineyard full of employees picking the seasonal grape for wine, but if you drink too much or becomes “matter unorganized”.
Sorry, folks, this is obviously Zeno's allegory of the olives. In Reformed Egyptian olives translates to grapes.
Hold on a second... Grapes? That's it??? No "matter unorganized?" What about dinosaur bones!?!?!?

I was "this close" to having my testi-monkey restored and getting out my checkbook to pay my entry fees to get back into the Polygamy Palace.

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:30 am
You know what's awesome about Min? THat the church removed the boner in the PoGP for a while before having to restore it once they realized what it was and that Joseph got it wrong.
The only instance in modern times where the "priesthood" has had the power to restore a severed limb! :mrgreen:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:33 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:49 pm
The only instance in modern times where the "priesthood" has had the power to restore a severed limb! :mrgreen:
Oh my gods! That's some golden Fluff right there!
...your loins, that you may be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth, that you might have joy in your posterity...
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:10 pm

"Hon, the kids are asleep. How about a quick Min?"

"Oh, how romantic! Like when we were young soakers at BYU."
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:30 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:10 pm
"Hon, the kids are asleep. How about a quick Min?"

"Oh, how romantic! Like when we were young soakers at BYU."
Ah yes... known in reformed Egyptian times as the BYU Blue Lotus! Go cougars!

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OMGs!!! This is thread!! :lol: :lol: It's up there with the "rectal scanning" thread from NOM 1.0 :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:26 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:52 am
Elder Porter produced some videos that talk about this and my mother-in-law urged me to pay attention to what they say. I asked if other non-LDS Egyptologists had agreed with this view of ancient temple ceremonies. She was annoyed by that question noting that because Elder Porter was a Seventy he must be correct in his conclusions.
So... I watched/listened to that entire effing video. Like a train wreck, I wanted to look away, but couldn't.

The audacity that Porter kook exhibits is shocking. Spending a lifetime wallowing in MORmON confirmation bias, and coming to the conclusion that modern scientists, and the entire Egyptian civilization (along with many other civilizations) "got it all wrong" and Joe Smith Jr. and the MORmONs are the only ones who get it? I'm left somewhat speechless...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:18 pm

Egyptian rituals passed down through the centuries were kept alive through secret organisations and emerged publically for the first time via Freemasonry. The Mormon connection as we know is history.

The attainment of esoteric knowledge via ritualiastic rites is hardly new and is universal in practise. The Mormon confirmation basis sees this universal concept as their exclusive inherentance.

In my own Maori New Zealand culture (pre-european contact) my ancestors ran small schools of higher learning. The tohunga (high priest) engaged ritualistic rites and prayers to transmit knowledge to a new generation.

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:40 am

Washing and annointing

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:40 am
Washing and annointing

Yeowzha!

Looks more like adult circumcision.....Ouch! :cry:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington