A visit to church (inspired by the EQ thread)

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
lostinmiddlemormonism

A visit to church (inspired by the EQ thread)

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:47 pm

So this past Sunday I visited church. My son who is 13 had an event and I went to support him. It was surprisingly upbeat. There were multiple scriptures that were read...they were all from the new testament. The singing was upbeat, not a funeral dirge pace, and all of the messages were about Jesus, loving one another, bearing each other's burdens, and being honest about where we are as individual people and as a church. It centered on how do we make the world around us a promised land here and now instead of hoping for something in the future.

There was no talk of Joseph Smith, or regurgitated conference talks by Oaks or Nelson. It was actually quite pleasant. I left feeling uplifted, motivated, and inspired. The people were friendly.

Of course it was the local United Methodist Church and not the CJCOLDS. Who knows...I might even go again.

-lost

græy

Re: A visit to church (inspired by the EQ thread)

Post by græy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:15 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:47 pm
Of course it was the local United Methodist Church and not the CJCOLDS. Who knows...I might even go again.
I thought it sounded too good to be true! Two whole hours without mentioning Joseph Smith OR Russell Nelson? Impossible!

late edit: without. I meant without.
Last edited by græy on Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:57 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That was great. You had me for a minute.
~2bizE

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:19 am

Ha ha! I was, like, where is this magical progressive ward? Somewhere in Seattle? Antarctica? Mars?

FWIW, Sundays were sometimes sort of close to this in my non-student Provo wards, except for the bits about where we were as a church. (It's great! All is well in Zion!) And the fact that the church did its usual insert self between believer and God thing. I wonder, though, whether having a broad political spectrum in the wards where professors lived had something to do with the positives. Maybe political diversity offers some protection against fundamentalism.

Methodist... hmm. I wonder if there are any of their churches nearby.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:28 pm

Forget to add....it was a woman <gasp> pastor. She was great.

-lost

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 am

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:28 pm
Forget to add....it was a woman <gasp> pastor. She was great.

-lost
You had me going pretty well in your first message, and now you drop this bomb. I hope you are "enjoying" the sign of the Great Apostasy as much as I am enjoying hearing about it.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:03 am

We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin