What are you reading right now?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Hagoth

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:29 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:26 am
wtfluff wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:58 pm
crossmyheart wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 am
What are you reading?
The Skeptics' Guide To The Universe
Ha! I'm actually still working on The Skeptics' Guide.

And truthfully, I've read, and re-read many sections. This is a book that I think will be my new scripture. I'm hoping that this type of scripture can untangle the more than half a lifetime of MORmON/religous knots that my brain is made up of. (Shout-out to FetchFace.)
I listen to the podcast. Didn't even know there was a book.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

alas

Post by alas » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:00 am

2bizE wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:30 pm
I’ve read all the Bosch series by Michael Connolly and now downloaded two books to take on a cruise. One is a John Grisham. And another is from a writer I haven’t read before. I like the spy novels by Robert Ludlum. I’ve reach most of the Jack Reacher books.
Michael Connolly has been my favorite author lately.

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:00 pm

I am currently talking a children's literature course. I just finished Out of my Mind by Draper for the class. It is a book about a young girl with cerebral palsy. She is very intelligent and the book shares her mind and journey. It was so good I immediately bought copies and sent them out my family members. You could read it first or read it together with your children. It is a great way to discuss disabilities or even open your own mind. Even though I am an avid reader, my classmates who hate reading loved it too.

I am sitting on a copy of The Body in Pain by Scarry but I think that will have to wait for summer. And I am picking at Kindness and Wonder: Why Mister Rogers matters now more than ever by Edwards.

Maybe when school isn't trying to kill me I'll start a manga (and anime) thread because I make time for both... or should I say use both to procrastinate doing hw. I can't be the only one on here who likes it/them.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:14 pm

I just finished "Going Clear", an expose of Scientology by Lawrence Wright. I'd recommend it. I noticed striking similarities (and of course differences) between L. Ron Hubbard and Joseph Smith- what kind of personality and abilities it takes to start a Church.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:53 pm

Lithium Sunset wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:00 pm

And I am picking at Kindness and Wonder: Why Mister Rogers matters now more than ever by Edwards.
Just finished The Good Neighbor:The Life and Work of Fred Rogers by Maxwell King. It was an interesting read.
deacon blues wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:14 pm
I just finished "Going Clear", an expose of Scientology by Lawrence Wright. I'd recommend it. I noticed striking similarities (and of course differences) between L. Ron Hubbard and Joseph Smith- what kind of personality and abilities it takes to start a Church.
Did you like the book? I have a copy, but I've never read it. My husband was mad when he saw it originally because he thought I was buying scientology scripture. :lol:

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:26 pm

Yes, I liked it. I thought it was over-sensationalized at times, but overall it seemed credible
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.