An open letter to Thayne

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

An open letter to Thayne

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:44 pm

Dear Thayne,

I'm willing and able to purchase a copy of the old board database if that's what it takes to ensure the content of the old board isn't lost forever. It's a valuable resource to the transitioning mormon crowd here and would be a huge loss to humanity if it was gone for good.

Please consider.

Sincerely RR
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Re: An open letter to Thayne

Post by wtfluff » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Add a bottle of whiskey of your choice to RR's purchase price Thayne.

I'll deliver it in person, maybe you can attempt to teach me how to like the stuff... :D
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:35 pm

I'll chip in a six pack of local brews.

wtfluff - I would recommend a trip up to High West Distillery in Wanship or Park City. There you'll be educated in the whisky distillation process and get a chance to try the various types side by side. I've liked all the High West spirits so far. It really makes a difference when you can sample them next to each other with the guy telling you about each one and how they are different. If you want to start with a mellow whisky that's easy to drink, not too spicy, I'd recommend the original Pioneer recipe: Valley Tan. Before the WoW was a hard liner rule, the saints were brewing and selling Valley Tan right out of the ZCMI mercantile.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:41 pm

I'll include a gift certificate to Buffalo Wild Wings.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:02 pm

I've got a coupon for a $24.99 oil change at Jiffy Lube (non-synthetic only) that I'll add to the pot.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Emower

Post by Emower » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:15 pm

I do a mean belly dance. I can post a gif...

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:44 pm
Dear Thayne,

I'm willing and able to purchase a copy of the old board database if that's what it takes to ensure the content of the old board isn't lost forever. It's a valuable resource to the transitioning mormon crowd here and would be a huge loss to humanity if it was gone for good.

Please consider.

Sincerely RR
I hope Thayne sees this and responds! I'm still mourning the loss of the old board and all the great information and history that was there. I wish that I'd saved more threads. Luckily I did save some of the classic George Miller threads....but not all of them :cry:
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

John G.

Post by John G. » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:38 pm

There is a thread on Reddit spreading a rumour that this guy Thayne became TBM again.
"If your children are taught untruths on evolution in the public schools or even in our Church schools, provide them with a copy of President Joseph Fielding Smith's excellent rebuttal in his book Man, His Origin and Destiny."

Ezra Taft Benson

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:16 pm

John G. wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:38 pm
There is a thread on Reddit spreading a rumour that this guy Thayne became TBM again.
It's from an hour-old account though, so it's extremely dubious.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:56 am

I would pitch in. This was sort of my diary of a faith crisis and I am sure my memory has faded. I wold live to see some of my old posts and so much of the other great content there.

document

Post by document » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:28 am

Didn't Thayne become a Baptist? I thought I heard that on a Mormon Expression podcast.

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:58 am

MalcolmVillager wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:56 am
I would pitch in. This was sort of my diary of a faith crisis and I am sure my memory has faded. I wold live to see some of my old posts and so much of the other great content there.
Me too. I'll pitch in $50. Help me Thayne, you're my only hope.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:57 am

I will pledge 1/2 oz of the best weed grown in the Pacific NW.

Does anyone have the old "angst" threads? I would very much like to save some of those.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:49 pm

Archimedes wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:57 am
I'd pay good money for some of that! :D
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:18 am

I've saved up some bottle caps in case there is a Trumpocalypse or something. The preservation of the NOM data is important and worthwhile. One small step for NOM 2.0, one giant leap for Mankind.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:32 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:49 pm
Archimedes wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:57 am
I'd pay good money for some of that! :D
Whenever I'm struggling to find, I think, "F**k you, Satan, money can't buy any thing in this world!"

TheRunningmom

Post by TheRunningmom » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:34 pm

Great idea! I hope he sees this.

But in the meantime, the Wayback Machine does have the website archived 121 times. The links are active so you can even open up threads and read them there. For example, check out the capture for January 17, 2013. This link is for the Support forum. The pages after the first kind of jump dates a bit, but you can at least see what we were discussing on any day the forum was archived.

Support Forum 01/17/2013

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks for that link, Runningmom. It was good finding old names of the regulars. And it was fun reading some of the old threads.
The user formerly known as Lazyeye. Now living in SLC.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:31 pm

Thought i would bump this thread in the hope that makes it easier for Thayne to bump into. Add me to those willing to pay for that database. A lot of us left a portion of our souls on that board. We also learned a great deal from discussions involving some of the most knowledgable members. That database was built with the good will of a lot of people with the best of motives. Their contributions should be available to the benefit of others who walk the NOM path.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

oximormon

Post by oximormon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:59 am

I don't post here very often anymore, I was more active on the old NOM board. (I probably should see my bishop and repent or something.....)

Whilst I should be 'over' it now, Im still pissed at Thayne for letting it all die.
I know people say he didn't owe anyone anything, I have a differing view on that.

Nevertheless my disappointment is really the loss of some of my own journal posts from a very difficult time, and the loss of such a repository of discussions and information that saved me (and no doubt others) from doing some really, really stupid stuff, it brought me down off the edge.

I know that its slowly gaining all that info here again, but for some of us oldtimers, its not the same.
I still miss some of the old names, wonder where they are, how they are doing......

All of this has happened before and will happen again.....

Oxi.....
(getting more sentimental in my old age....)