What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:53 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:05 pm
Netflix? OMG, I would have to be REALLY sick.
Just three words: European detective series.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:07 am

There are currently 106,165 confirmed cases worldwide, with 433 cases in the United States and one active case in Utah.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:50 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:16 pm
Lithium Sunset wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:51 pm
So... washing hands, elderberry and knocking on wood.
Okay, two questions: Was your mother a hamster? Did your father use elder berries and do they have a strong smell?

Monty Python reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAy4zULKFDU
Haha, nice. Thanks for including the link. You know, I have that movie downstairs and I haven’t seen it start to finish yet... That’s practically a crime. Sounds like a summer goal haha.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:22 pm

Screw the TP and water bottles. In my house we’re stocking up on the right things....
Attachments
7B4F9C8D-BECE-448C-B628-2EB8EA257674.jpeg
7B4F9C8D-BECE-448C-B628-2EB8EA257674.jpeg (38.39 KiB) Viewed 25258 times

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:36 pm

Hermey wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:22 pm
Screw the TP and water bottles. In my house we’re stocking up on the right things....
Dammit.

They came by my place and I was home alone, and had no way of wrestling the 15lb overly furry attack dog, and signing up for my yearly allotment. I guess I'll have to catch them in front of the grocery store when the crack shows up for the rest of us.

If the stupid virus doesn't ruin that...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:29 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:34 pm
My patriarchal blessing says I'll live to see the 2nd Coming so I'm totally safe.
:lol: :lol:
Sh!t, I need to find my PB to see if I'm going to survive this thing. :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:46 am

Maybe Jesus is a shape-shifter like Gozer the Gozarian and one of the Q15 (or the Pope, who knows) chose his form to be a virus. Many Shubs and Zulls will know what it will be like to be roasted in the depths of a Sloar on that day, I can tell.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:51 am

Looks like there's a dent in the big party Rusty's planning this spring.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... -postponed

I can't believe he didn't see this coming. :lol:
I bet Wendy hid his seer stone. Or she lent it to Sherri and Sherri never gave it back.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:02 am

MoPag wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:51 am
I bet Wendy hid his seer stone. Or she lent it to Sherri and Sherri never gave it back.
Even better: Why doesn't Rusty use some of his Elohim-Endowed-Majick™ to just get rid of the virus? Or, at least have the virus mutated so it kills less people, and causes less panic...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:06 am

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:02 am
MoPag wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:51 am
Even better: Why doesn't Rusty use some of his Elohim-Endowed-Majick™ to just get rid of the virus? Or, at least have the virus mutated so it kills less people, and causes less panic...
Good call! Let's see some of that priesthood power!! Come on Rusty and pals fly over to China and rebuke that virus!!!!

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:08 am

OH!!!

Let's start a rumor that he is going to China to get rid of the virus. Quick call all your TBM friends and fam tell them we need to pray for Nelson as he goes to fight Corona.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:44 am

I think this virus thing is all my fault.

Sister RR “applied” for tickets to GenCon2020 and the SP “awarded” them to our family. In silent protest I prayed that conference would get cancelled so I wouldn’t have to travel to Utah. Prayers work! Phase I of cancel conference is well underway.

My DD has a great idea. Make it a conference call! :lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:50 am

Red Ryder wrote:I think this virus thing is all my fault.

Sister RR “applied” for tickets to GenCon2020 and the SP “awarded” them to our family. In silent protest I prayed that conference would get cancelled so I wouldn’t have to travel to Utah. Prayers work! Phase I of cancel conference is well underway.

My DD has a great idea. Make it a conference call! Image
That would certainly handle the opposed voters yelling issue if they just teleconference and mute everyone but the speaker.

græy

Post by græy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:47 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:44 am

That is a monkey-paw wish if I ever heard one. "You avoid going to general conference, thousands of people die world-wide, trillions of dollars lost in economic output." :lol:

I'm praying that regular church meetings get cancelled so that I don't have to teach anything on the first vision the 29th. Barring that, I'm considering voluntary self-isolation which would (un)fortunately necessitate my absence at church.

edit: I'm NOT laughing at people actually suffering and dying from this virus. Please don't think that. I'm laughing at the monkey-paw approach to getting out of GC.

Also, awesome daughter-joke!
Last edited by græy on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:20 pm

græy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:47 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:44 am

That is a monkey-paw wish if I ever heard one. "You avoid going to general conference, thousands of people die world-wide, trillions of dollars lost in economic output." :lol:

I'm praying that regular church meetings get cancelled so that I don't have to teach anything on the first vision the 29th. Barring that, I'm considering voluntary self-isolation which would (un)fortunately necessitate my absence at church.

edit: I'm not laughing at people actually suffering and dying from this virus. Please don't think that. I'm laughing at the monkey-paw approach to getting out of GC.

Also, awesome daughter-joke!
Isn’t that how god works? He maimes, kills, and makes suffer many of his children on behalf of getting a few to listen to him?

græy

Post by græy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:43 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:20 pm
Isn’t that how god works? He maimes, kills, and makes suffer many of his children on behalf of getting a few to listen to him?
Very good point. I for one will be very grateful for this sign of God's true love for us, the survivors. Assuming I survive. If not, then screw him anyway.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:40 pm

Italy is now implanting travel restrictions and quarantines. No football either.

Is it time to panic?

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:16 pm

Is everyone carrying emergency bottles of consecrated olive oil so that you can give yourself and your loved ones a quick dab of protection? Feel free to add in some cinnamon oil for a nice holiday smell. Might as well bless some clove oil for those having toothaches.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:39 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:16 pm
Is everyone carrying emergency bottles of consecrated olive oil so that you can give yourself and your loved ones a quick dab of protection? Feel free to add in some cinnamon oil for a nice holiday smell. Might as well bless some clove oil for those having toothaches.
All kidding aside, what a marvelous opportunity for worthy priesthood holders who are magnifying their callings to exercise their powers to heal the sick with consecrated oil. With all the priesthood holders the Church has, we should have this coronavirus thing licked in no time. Maybe the Brethren can go out and touch the afflicted and they will be headed immediately, just like the apostles did in the New Testament. Hell, even Peter’s shadow falling on an afflicted person healed the sick back then.

It speaks volumes that no Mormons are suggesting priesthood healing powers as a response to the spread of coronavirus.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:11 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:07 am
There are currently 106,165 confirmed cases worldwide, with 433 cases in the United States and one active case in Utah.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
808 cases in the US today.
-- Moksha