What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Not Buying It

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:44 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:45 pm
MerrieMiss wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:42 pm
Home Centered Church!

It was prophesied! The church it true!
I’ve heard this a few times now.
It's ridiculous. If the Prophet knew something dangerous was coming, he did a piss poor job of warning the world. You find out a pandemic is coming and the best you can do to warn the world is start getting your members to have their Church services at home??? That's the most important thing? You are God, and you know tons of your children are going to be impacted by a pandemic, and the only precaution you take is to have members of your little Church learn to do their own worship services at home?

It's ludicrous. What a worthless prophet and God we have if all of that is true.
Last edited by Not Buying It on Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:13 am

For perspective:

Over the past month about 40 US citizens died from COVID-19.

In that same period about 4000 US citizens committed suicide and 3300 died in traffic accidents (based on recent statistics).
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:29 am

MerrieMiss wrote:
Home Centered Church!

:lol: :lol:

Seriously tho... the first F&T after this is all over is gonna be hell. All the gushing and hero worship. Barf.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:35 am

EQP sent out an email about how ministering is needed now more than ever and to make sure and contact all your families to assess their needs. Yes by all means, go into the homes of the elderly and frail and shake hands and speak face to face for 2 hours. That will help greatly.

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:07 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:13 am
For perspective:

Over the past month about 40 US citizens died from COVID-19.

In that same period about 4000 US citizens committed suicide and 3300 died in traffic accidents (based on recent statistics).
Perspective is so valuable and I appreciate your sharing those stats, Hagoth. Of course COVID-19 needs to be taken seriously, but the near-panic we're experiencing doesn't seem to me to be warranted.

I follow a wonderful blog called Letters of Note, and yesterday he shared this letter written by a doctor working on a military base at the height of the Spanish Influenza pandemic in 1918. It also provides a useful perspective.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2020/03/go ... again.html
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:29 am

MoPag wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:29 am
MerrieMiss wrote:
Home Centered Church!

:lol: :lol:

Seriously tho... the first F&T after this is all over is gonna be hell. All the gushing and hero worship. Barf.
Well, I've been telling my husband for the past year, "Home centered church, why bother going?" For the most part he hasn't been amused. However, we received a notice this week about the possibility of receiving the sacrament at home once a month for vulnerable people for the duration or something like that, and husband thought is was strange: "You mean, taking it every week wasn't really that important in the first place?" Ah, the cog dis wheels turn slow, but once they begin I don't think they really stop.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:40 pm

There was an interesting comment by one of the medical experts during the national emergency press conference. She said the hospitals are in danger of being over-stressed by COVID-19 mainly because they are already handling so many other seasonal viruses. Even in hard-hit countries 96-98% of the respiratory cases in the hospitals are from viruses, and only 2-4% are coronavirus.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:02 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:40 pm
There was an interesting comment by one of the medical experts during the national emergency press conference. She said the hospitals are in danger of being over-stressed by COVID-19 mainly because they are already handling so many other seasonal viruses. Even in hard-hit countries 96-98% of the respiratory cases in the hospitals are from viruses, and only 2-4% are coronavirus.
Exactly. (Unfortunately.) It's not that the new corona virus is "THAT" dangerous.

It IS that the new virus is extremely contagious, and we need to slow the contagion so as to not over-run the hospitals, and make it so the vulnerable folks/hospitals have to end up dealing with a triage situation.

The social distancing and shutdowns are gonna suck, but there's not much else we can do.

And I'm still not sure how my basement full of TP I hoarded is going to help. [YES that previous sentence is sarcasm.]

Will the toilet paper/bottled water/virus "Dad-Jokes" ever go away after this? :cry:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:14 pm

I immediately went to Costco and bought all toilet paper and bottles water they had...
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:35 am

2bizE wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:14 pm
I immediately went to Costco and bought all toilet paper and bottles water they had...
I went to Costco and did sacrament blessings on all of the bottled water and loaves of bread, just to make sure everybody was covered. Then I'll go back on Sunday and get some stuff for myself.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:09 am

A friend of Mrs. Hagoth witnessed a physical fight over food and toilet paper at a grocery store yesterday. My Home Teach... uh, Minister just told me they're fighting at the Bishop's Storehouse, where his wife volunteers. This is a shortage entirely created by people overreacting. I hate to think what would happen if there was an actual shortage.

In the meantime, my minister went to the Costco website and ordered everything his family needs, including toilet paper, and is having it delivered to his door.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Part of me feels like this is everything I've trained for:

Rest
Stay home
Avoid people
Watch TV
Hoard alcohol and Easter candy

Now if my job would just get on board and send us home for 53 days or so....

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:42 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:35 am
2bizE wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:14 pm
I went to Costco and did sacrament blessings on all of the bottled water and loaves of bread, just to make sure everybody was covered. Then I'll go back on Sunday and get some stuff for myself.
Interesting... Remember when you turn regular olive oil into Magick Olive Oil™ and you're supposed to take the lid off?

I'm positive that the lower-priesthood-magick-incantation of for sacrament in no way has power to penetrate though plastic packaging. Not even the plastic bags over the bread. Sorry.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

alas

Post by alas » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:17 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Rest
Stay home
Avoid people
Watch TV

I think people ARE hoarding Easter candy. My SIL put a picture up on FB of nearly empty shelves. I had to laugh as I looked closer and realized that she was in the isle for Easter candy. So, if you didn’t buy your kiddo’s Easter candy already, be ready to explain why the Easter Bunny can’t come because of the Corona virus.

She also told us she saw a guy with two carts full of Cap’n Crunch. Two carts! At least he should have gotten peanut butter Cap’n Crunch. Do people honestly think they need a year’s supply of stuff with a 1 year or less shelf life? By the time he and his family of (?) finish that much cereal, it will have expired and gotten bugs in it.

And my poor DH is out looking for onions for the fajitas I promised. He called and said one more store, then we will see what fajitas are like with half an onion.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:23 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:42 pm
I'm positive that the lower-priesthood-magick-incantation of for sacrament in no way has power to penetrate though plastic packaging. Not even the plastic bags over the bread. Sorry.
I will need to see chapter and verse on that! You remove the lid from the oil to let it any excess priesthood power dissipate. That's the higher priesthood, mind you, so too much of it in a small container could build up pressure and cause an explosion. I'm sure there's a faith-promoting story somewhere of WWI saint-soldiers making holy hand grenades in this manner.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:23 pm

I was in a Costco in Arizona yesterday and a store employee had to come out and announce to a line of about 30 people that they were out of water.....they were NOT happy.

I'd hate to see what would happen in a "for real" crisis where things went really bad. I'm getting the feeling things would get very ugly very quickly.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:36 pm

The official decree authorizing home sacrament came today. Where did this arbitrary "once a month" thing come from?

Dear Brother:
The Stake Presidency has given authorization to the bishop to allow worthy priesthood holders to temporarily administer the sacrament in their homes along the following guidelines:
1.This authorization will be immediately rescinded once the normal Sunday meeting schedule is resumed.
2.The administration of the sacrament should be done at least once a month but not more than once a week.
3.This authorization is for you to administer the sacrament in your home only.  
4.We are to keep this simple with the focus on the sacrament ordinance only. This is not to be a sacrament meeting with songs, prayers, talks, etc.
5.Please familiarize yourself with General Handbook Section 18.9 as much as possible and pay particular attention to the following:
•The ordinance should be orderly and reverent
•Only worthy Teachers, Priests or Melchizedek Priesthood holders may prepare the sacrament
•Only worthy Priests or Melchizedek Priesthood holders may bless the sacrament
•Use a clean white cloth to cover the sacrament
•Use clean trays, plates or cups to pass the sacrament
•The priesthood holder(s) administering the sacrament should be dressed in their Sunday attire (white shirt, necktie, suit or slacks, etc.)
•The priesthood holder blessing the sacrament should kneel if at all possible
•Be sure to state the prayer word-for-word.  Read it from the Handbook or Doctrine and Covenants Section 20: 77, 79 (if reading from D&C, remember to change the word “wine” to “water”).  Do not try to recite the prayer from memory.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:26 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:36 pm
The official decree authorizing home sacrament came today. Where did this arbitrary "once a month" thing come from?

Dear Brother:
The Stake Presidency has given authorization to the bishop to allow worthy priesthood holders to temporarily administer the sacrament in their homes along the following guidelines:
1.This authorization will be immediately rescinded once the normal Sunday meeting schedule is resumed.
2.The administration of the sacrament should be done at least once a month but not more than once a week.
3.This authorization is for you to administer the sacrament in your home only.  
4.We are to keep this simple with the focus on the sacrament ordinance only. This is not to be a sacrament meeting with songs, prayers, talks, etc.
5.Please familiarize yourself with General Handbook Section 18.9 as much as possible and pay particular attention to the following:
•The ordinance should be orderly and reverent
•Only worthy Teachers, Priests or Melchizedek Priesthood holders may prepare the sacrament
•Only worthy Priests or Melchizedek Priesthood holders may bless the sacrament
•Use a clean white cloth to cover the sacrament
•Use clean trays, plates or cups to pass the sacrament
•The priesthood holder(s) administering the sacrament should be dressed in their Sunday attire (white shirt, necktie, suit or slacks, etc.)
•The priesthood holder blessing the sacrament should kneel if at all possible
•Be sure to state the prayer word-for-word.  Read it from the Handbook or Doctrine and Covenants Section 20: 77, 79 (if reading from D&C, remember to change the word “wine” to “water”).  Do not try to recite the prayer from memory.
The church is telling people when they can and cannot pray, sing, and lecture their children. As if.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:28 pm

alas wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:17 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Rest
Stay home
Avoid people
Watch TV

I think people ARE hoarding Easter candy. My SIL put a picture up on FB of nearly empty shelves. I had to laugh as I looked closer and realized that she was in the isle for Easter candy. So, if you didn’t buy your kiddo’s Easter candy already, be ready to explain why the Easter Bunny can’t come because of the Corona virus.

She also told us she saw a guy with two carts full of Cap’n Crunch. Two carts! At least he should have gotten peanut butter Cap’n Crunch. Do people honestly think they need a year’s supply of stuff with a 1 year or less shelf life? By the time he and his family of (?) finish that much cereal, it will have expired and gotten bugs in it.

And my poor DH is out looking for onions for the fajitas I promised. He called and said one more store, then we will see what fajitas are like with half an onion.
Walmart is empty but our other stores are fine. We bought pie, ice cream, wine, canned fruit and pasta sauce, cereal today with no issues.

Toilet paper is never in stock anymore, but we are ok on that.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:05 pm

moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:29 pm
1,663 right now.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
Current US total 2,726. Cases in Utah 10.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha