Cancelling Church is PROOF that CFM was inspired

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
slavereeno

Cancelling Church is PROOF that CFM was inspired

Post by slavereeno » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:03 pm

Ug,

Have been trying really hard to just put Mormonism out of my life as much as possible. Things have been reasonably quiet around my place and I have mostly avoided Internet Mormonism.

Enter COVID-19 and now I am being inundated with "End of Days" and "Come Follow Me" is PROOF that RMN is getting revelation from God, and that I can't prove it wasn't etc. This has never happened before and a home inspired program was the only way to get through this... blah, blah blah...

So here I am venting again. This is nothing short of arm-chair prophecy.

Step 1. Make a change, or lots of changes.
Step 2. Something happens, life throws some kind of curve-ball
Step 3. Apply the change from step 1 as the solution to step 2 after the fact.
Step 4. Profit.

Red Ryder

Re: Cancelling Church is PROOF that CFM was inspired

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 pm

Cheer up slavereeno. You can assign the SM topics now!

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:35 am

Oh yeah.....

The big whoopty-doo general conference planned for April with all it's promise of being a blow out spectacle will now perform for an empty house.

That's prophecy alright.

I'm actually surprised that they're going to put all the choir members together along with whatever orchestra and entertainers they have. That's a huge crowd in and of itself.

Makes total sense. :roll:

R. M. Nelson must be ready to cry because of this "unforseen" fly in his butter. If only he could get that stupid rock and hat to work...... :oops:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:55 am

To me, CFM looks an awful lot like the FHE program of my childhood. Every family gets a manual. We teach the lessons in the home. I don't do CFM, but I hope families have treats at the end. The main difference is the coordination with lessons given in ward meetings. However, Mormons have been doing things like this since the 1830's. It's not a big change, but it's used as an example of a miracle so that we don't have the say that "Miracles have ceased."

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:38 am

I found this on Reddit - it is the best response I know of to all the nonsense about "President Nelson knew the coronavirus was coming and that's why he said this conference would be different and to take our vitamins and get lots of sleep". This right here destroys that silliness:

8geqpmbvz9m41.jpg
8geqpmbvz9m41.jpg (48.77 KiB) Viewed 15078 times
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:31 am

You know for sure this conference is going to be a complete idol worship of Nelson- everyone will be dripping with praise of his super-duper secret squirrel revelations.
Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 pm
Cheer up slavereeno. You can assign the SM topics now!
Thanks for sharing the home sacrament program Red! I would have EATEN THAT UP when I was TBM.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:13 am

Palerider wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:35 am
Oh yeah.....

The big whoopty-doo general conference planned for April with all it's promise of being a blow out spectacle will now perform for an empty house.

That's prophecy alright.

I'm actually surprised that they're going to put all the choir members together along with whatever orchestra and entertainers they have. That's a huge crowd in and of itself.

Makes total sense. :roll:

R. M. Nelson must be ready to cry because of this "unforseen" fly in his butter. If only he could get that stupid rock and hat to work...... :oops:
Yeah, if all the musicians in SLC area get sick and 10% die, that will put a world of hurt on the LDS music scene. :?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Sheamus Moore

Post by Sheamus Moore » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:51 am

Oh, yes, proof indeed. As well as these timeless reminders that have graced my FB feed...

89783695_2569428076611731_18486604393873408_n.jpg
89783695_2569428076611731_18486604393873408_n.jpg (47.21 KiB) Viewed 15045 times

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:10 am

Sheamus Moore wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:51 am
Oh, yes, proof indeed. As well as these timeless reminders that have graced my FB feed...

89783695_2569428076611731_18486604393873408_n.jpg
It IS amazing! (Confirmation Bias, that is; My own Confirmation Bias tells me so!)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:41 am

blazerb wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:55 am
To me, CFM looks an awful lot like the FHE program of my childhood.
It's almost like a bargaining chip. "We'll let you out of church an hour early if you PROMISE to actually do FHE this time around."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:48 am

Our bishop sent out a very nice letter. It starts by praising Pres. Nelson's revelation about the home-study program, but overall it shows concern for ward members who may need extra assistance. The problem they are really struggling with is how to distribute the sacrament to everyone in the ward. If we can have church at home, why not sacrament? And why not let home teachers (I still have a hard time calling them ministers) provide sacrament for the families they oversee?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:17 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:48 am
Our bishop sent out a very nice letter. It starts by praising Pres. Nelson's revelation about the home-study program, but overall it shows concern for ward members who may need extra assistance. The problem they are really struggling with is how to distribute the sacrament to everyone in the ward. If we can have church at home, why not sacrament? And why not let home teachers (I still have a hard time calling them ministers) provide sacrament for the families they oversee?
I'm having a really hard time seeing how NOT pretending to be a cannibal once a week is going to cause anyone any harm... :?

Sorry... Is it too harsh for me to point out a bit of reality?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:23 am

Hagoth wrote:
I'm just going to tell them not to worry about me. I'll bless my sacrament myself. :twisted: :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Sheamus Moore

Post by Sheamus Moore » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:30 pm

MoPag wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:23 am
Hagoth wrote:
I'm just going to tell them not to worry about me. I'll bless my sacrament myself. :twisted: :lol:
My Bishop (who I haven't seen in nearly a year) texted last night and authorized me to administer the sacrament in my home. I was rather shocked.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Sacrament at home is easy.

Just have a priest in the ward record both prayers and assign to a recorded phone message.

Have a MAN in the house prepare the bread and water. Call the number and play the recorded sacrament prayers.

It’s the SAME format as in sacrament.

If you don’t have a MAN in the house, prepare the bread and water and call the number anyway. Call it an adjustment and everything is OK!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Random

Post by Random » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:51 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Why not let every man who has the priesthood bless it for his family. Heck, they shouldn't even need permission to do that. It isn't on Church property.

And that just leaves those without a priesthood holder in the home. And if some of those above men invite the priestless people, that would take care of some of them (or all of them, if it's a compassionate ward).
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:55 pm

blazerb wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:55 am
To me, CFM looks an awful lot like the FHE program of my childhood. Every family gets a manual. We teach the lessons in the home. I don't do CFM, but I hope families have treats at the end. The main difference is the coordination with lessons given in ward meetings. However, Mormons have been doing things like this since the 1830's. It's not a big change, but it's used as an example of a miracle so that we don't have the say that "Miracles have ceased."
^this!! When the home centered church came out people were all over fb saying, "this is nothing new, we've been counseled to do this for years" those same people have now pivoted and are saying, "my testimony that Nelson is a prophet of god is strengthened, the church is true, home church was inspired". ugh. I have muted about 20 people so far and may mute more.

My favorite meme so far though was one that said something like, "President Nelson has done more to get people to stop attending church than John Dehlin and Jeremy Runnels..."

Random

Post by Random » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:57 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:38 pm
Sacrament at home is easy.

Just have a priest in the ward record both prayers and assign to a recorded phone message.

Have a MAN in the house prepare the bread and water. Call the number and play the recorded sacrament prayers.

It’s the SAME format as in sacrament.

If you don’t have a MAN in the house, prepare the bread and water and call the number anyway. Call it an adjustment and everything is OK!
:lol: :lol:

The overkill is killing me. I mean, lots of men have that piece of paper that says they have reached the rank to bless the sacrament. No-brainer.

I like your idea of a recorded message, also. And maybe even have tv or internet sacrament if they really have to be controlling.

I think any logical bishop is going to do what Sheamus Moore's bishop seems to be doing: giving permission to every man to bless the bread and w̶i̶n̶e̶ water.

MoPag wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:23 am
You go, Sister!
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:09 pm

This really should bring home the ridiculousness of women having to rely on men for "priesthood authority". Why should a grown-up, responsible woman have to have a man come bless bread and water for her so she can have the sacrament? What kind of foolishness is that?
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:44 pm

Here's my plan for wards who think they can't trust individual priesthood holders to bless their own damn sacrament. Have the bishop or somebody bless a few cases of bottled water and a pile of individually-wrapped saltines. Set up a drive-through window at the church. A 12-oz bottle should be a large enough supply for the time being.