COVID-19 -- game in play

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Palerider

Re: COVID-19 -- game in play

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:09 am

Northwest here.

Everyone is staying pretty sane in our area. Groceries are available but being slightly rationed, which I think is smart.

The great offering from the church has been to come and do the sacrament at our home since there is no "priesthood leader" in the home. :roll:

Mrs. Palerider said, "Thanks but we've been doing home church long, long before Pres. Nelson ever thought of it."

Hope she didn't step on too many toes there.... ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:07 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:09 am
Mrs. Palerider said, "Thanks but we've been doing home church long, long before Pres. Nelson ever thought of it."
Love it!

If you want to hear the words of a prophet who really did see this coming: https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates_th ... nguage=en
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:25 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:07 pm
If you want to hear the words of a prophet who really did see this coming: https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates_th ... nguage=en
There are so many instances of prophetic wisdom like that example of Elder William H. Gates III, that it is truly quite scary to be living through current times.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Emower wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:03 am
Yobispo wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:03 pm
In in NorCal. My best pal is a law enforcement office way up in the leadership (trying to be careful). He just told me he heard that looting has begun in SF. It's such a big, populated city with one of the largest homeless populations (not blaming here, just stating a fact) and I have to imagine kinda tough to resupply any markets in the city.

As someone out in the valley, I remember my church emergency preparedness training. We were not worried about flood in my area (we should have been) and quakes were actually not the top priority. Our #1 catastrophic problem in the Sacramento area was the human flood from the Oakland, SF, San Jose area as those poor folks reacted to quake, flood, power loss, etc. Several million people jammed into a small area need to go somewhere for food and shelter. So when I hear that looting is starting only 48 hours after the Gov locked us down it starts to tickle my old mormon end of days-bones.

Be careful everyone, and maybe repent just a little. :)
Carson Reno area here. Nevada is pretty worried about Californians coming here to get away from situations like you just described.
I have family in Minden! Stay healthy my friend. And buy some extra Cap'n Crunch so I can eat it when we crash on your couch.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:31 pm

I am hearing from various sources that schools are closed for the year in:
Connecticut
Kansas
Virginia

And likely closed for the year in:
Washington
California

I believe our schools will not reopen April 16 as they plan.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:17 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:31 pm
It was just announced that the decision to reopen has been pushed to May 1. To me that says schools out for this year. Now I'm really wondering what will happen next year, with the likelihood of a vaccine at least a year away.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

alas

Post by alas » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:25 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
I am hearing from various sources that schools are closed for the year in:
Connecticut
Kansas
Virginia

And likely closed for the year in:
Washington
California

Those areas where the virus has barely arrived, such as Washington county (St George UT) where we only have one official diagnosed (hospitalized) case so far, are behind other areas on the curve. I figure we are one week behind SLC area, and 2-3 weeks behind Washington State. So, I wonder about when is the proper time to open things back up for such areas. We are behind probably because the population is smaller and more spread out, but there are also fewer medical facilities. We are used to having the luxury of sending the very sick to the bigger hospitals in SLC and LV. But being behind the curve, is going to put us in a bad position when the bigger hospitals we depend on are full.

I worry that things will reopen when New York curve has peaked. But our curve will be just getting started, right in time for things to open back up.

Or the idiot in chief will decide that the economic cost to rich people is worth a few thousands of deaths among the poor and elderly and open things back up no matter if it causes hospitals to be overwhelmed.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:03 pm

Any word on preppers take on missionaries coming home?

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

Emower

Post by Emower » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:30 pm

Yobispo wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:05 pm
Emower wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:03 am
Yobispo wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:03 pm
In in NorCal. My best pal is a law enforcement office way up in the leadership (trying to be careful). He just told me he heard that looting has begun in SF. It's such a big, populated city with one of the largest homeless populations (not blaming here, just stating a fact) and I have to imagine kinda tough to resupply any markets in the city.

As someone out in the valley, I remember my church emergency preparedness training. We were not worried about flood in my area (we should have been) and quakes were actually not the top priority. Our #1 catastrophic problem in the Sacramento area was the human flood from the Oakland, SF, San Jose area as those poor folks reacted to quake, flood, power loss, etc. Several million people jammed into a small area need to go somewhere for food and shelter. So when I hear that looting is starting only 48 hours after the Gov locked us down it starts to tickle my old mormon end of days-bones.

Be careful everyone, and maybe repent just a little. :)
Carson Reno area here. Nevada is pretty worried about Californians coming here to get away from situations like you just described.
I have family in Minden! Stay healthy my friend. And buy some extra Cap'n Crunch so I can eat it when we crash on your couch.
Ha, your welcome anytime. My DW attends the ward in Minden, so if you do crash on the couch and it happens to be a Sunday, we can go and heckle elder's qourum together!

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:45 pm

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:20 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:45 pm
Republicanism Comes Through

https://twitter.com/i/status/1241512305889890311
The reaction of the guy to his right is priceless.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:30 am

Its interesting that they are reluctant to test in Utah. I have a family member who has all the symptoms,...but is younger so is being told to stay home; she will not be tested, by the direction of the TEST people.

I think the numbers are very under-reported at this point. She may have it...its a real chance, but no testing?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:30 am
Its interesting that they are reluctant to test in Utah. I have a family member who has all the symptoms,...but is younger so is being told to stay home; she will not be tested, by the direction of the TEST people.

I think the numbers are very under-reported at this point. She may have it...its a real chance, but no testing?
They are "reluctant" to test because they don't have massive amounts of test kits, labs to perform the tests, or even the required materials to perform the tests in the labs. (2nd hand information from a hospital employee.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:25 am

Rob4Hope wrote:

This is the glaring problem with the government reaction to this mess, so far. Why no testing of everyone? If everyone were tested, those affected could efficiently be quarantined and the virus could be perhaps contained. Certainly, with the $Billions thrown at this with the latest stimulus package, sufficient money could be allocated to test everyone. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_testing

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:56 am

Exiled wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:25 am
This is the glaring problem with the government reaction to this mess, so far. Why no testing of everyone? If everyone were tested, those affected could efficiently be quarantined and the virus could be perhaps contained. Certainly, with the $Billions thrown at this with the latest stimulus package, sufficient money could be allocated to test everyone. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_testing
Again, as I mentioned above, there are simply not enough actual, physical test kits available to test everyone. They're "working on it," but so far no-one has been able to make test kits appear out of thin air.

That's part of the reason for the pandemic: Too many countries ignored the warning signs, and they're having to ramp-up the testing after the fact, and, well; It's too late (in many instances.)

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:39 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:17 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
It was just announced that the decision to reopen has been pushed to May 1. To me that says schools out for this year. Now I'm really wondering what will happen next year, with the likelihood of a vaccine at least a year away.
I am not in UT. April 16 until they push it back.

Vaccine delay is about money, not science. Big pharma wants a guarantee of exclusivity and profit.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:17 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:39 pm
Vaccine delay is about money, not science. Big pharma wants a guarantee of exclusivity and profit.
No doubt some parties will try to profit as much as they can at others' expense, but the science has to be done too.

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:09 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 am
Rob4Hope wrote:

They are "reluctant" to test because they don't have massive amounts of test kits, labs to perform the tests, or even the required materials to perform the tests in the labs. (2nd hand information from a hospital employee.)
But remember we are the greatest nation on the earth. There is nothing we can't do, we are the best in all categories (And I might add even stupidity, after all look who we elected as President).......
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:42 pm

Just lost a close relative to covid. I'm kind of glad the family is mostly uber TBM. They have the belief of being together again. I can't believe how far behind the USA is with getting ahead of this thing.

alas

Post by alas » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:10 pm

My nephew’s whole family is sick. The symptoms match Covid 19. But, since there are not enough test kits, the family each got different diagnosis, and sent home. It would be logical that with the whole family sick with nearly identical symptoms, that they have the same thing. But they got told that one person has bronchitis, and other members of the family were given totally different opinions of what they might have, but I don’t remember because it was all so illogical that they were all different. They went home with a big WTF, because they have nearly identical symptoms. But then I guess they are not rich or famous, so no testing for you.

This is just plain stupid. Why are people being diagnosed over the phone, and being told it is something else, when obviously the people passing out these diagnoses don’t know, and it is most likely Covid 19, because my nephew has a coworker who tested positive, but they get told it is bronchitis and a couple of other things. If they all got told they had bronchitis, then OK. It is like, we don’t know and we don’t have enough test kits, so let’s just make something up and pretend this isn’t as bad as it obviously is.

I would say the number of positive tests is only the tip of the iceberg.