A fellow Mormon asks us to give our lives for the economy

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

A fellow Mormon asks us to give our lives for the economy

Post by Hagoth » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:03 pm

Brother Glen Beck is calling for everyone over 50 to get out there and sacrifice their lives to Dow Jones while the kids stay at home. He said he will gladly give his life. Brave words, considering that his job is sitting alone in a room and talking to a microphone. Yes, Brother Beck, let's immediately clog up the health system with the most vulnerable people so there are no resources to protect those kids when they have to come out to pile up the corpses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... eck-trump/

And if that's not enough, his buddy Donald Trump is calling for all of the churches to be packed for Easter. He says it's a very special day for him. I wonder if he even knows what it represents for Christians, and that it's their most sacred day because it symbolizes overcoming death.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/24/coronav ... aster.html
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Re: A fellow Mormon asks us to give our lives for the economy

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:08 pm

Beck is an idiot. I shouldn't really type the other adjectives I'd also like to use to describe him.

"The Economy" can and will return. It might not look exactly like it did last year, but human beans are resilient things; If that were not the case, we wouldn't be here. We've made it through pandemics before, we'll do it again.

Human life cannot be replaced. The end.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:07 am

In Utah, the Governor has taken the Health Department off the lead response and shifted it to those who think like Beck. In his plan, there is talk about being true to "our Beehive mentality".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:53 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:07 am
In Utah, the Governor has taken the Health Department off the lead response and shifted it to those who think like Beck. In his plan, there is talk about being true to "our Beehive mentality".
Unquestioning sacrifice to the queen. Make sure the honeycombs are filled to the brim. Sting once and then die.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:18 am

Maybe this is a good thing. The older Mormons who still give that blowhard any credit will go out and work themselves to death. Then us survivors can collect their inheritances, less strain on social security, and the old diehards inthe church pass away and hopefully make room for a younger crowd with slightly less draconian views of the world.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:02 am

It's amazing to me anyone would even make the suggestion, but here we are in 2020, slowing slouching our way back to the Dark Ages...
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:08 am

I didn’t realize Glenn Beck was still a thing...
~2bizE

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:19 am

2bizE wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:08 am
I didn’t realize Glenn Beck was still a thing...
:lol: :lol:

He's a sh!t. I bet he feels all noble about it too. :roll:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:34 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:18 am
Maybe this is a good thing. The older Mormons who still give that blowhard any credit will go out and work themselves to death. Then us survivors can collect their inheritances, less strain on social security, and the old diehards inthe church pass away and hopefully make room for a younger crowd with slightly less draconian views of the world.
Hmm... Now you've got me thinking.

I volunteer the Q15 as Tributes!!! ;)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:35 am

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:34 am
Just This Guy wrote:

SOLD!
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:57 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:35 am
wtfluff wrote:
Just This Guy wrote:

SOLD!
Yep, I'd tell Beck and all the prophets, seers and revelators that they can go first.

I'll be right behind you..... ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:28 am

Palerider wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:57 am
Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:35 am
wtfluff wrote:

SOLD!
Yep, I'd tell Beck and all the prophets, seers and revelators that they can go first.

I'll be right behind you..... ;)
Yeah except most Mormon inheritances end up as a donation to the church. You know, like they Covenant’ed in the temple!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Angel

Post by Angel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:34 am

I wish everyone would stop thinking in such black and white terms. This is not a "choose option A, or choose option b" type of thing - there are an infinite number of choices and ways to handle this responsibly.

My DH and I are both working from home, and loving it. Most people can work from home, or work in small groups, or work with masks and protective clothing.

We just need to work carefully - not stop working.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:52 pm

Angel wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:34 am
That's part of how S. Korea and Japan have been handling it, with better success than most countries. The other big difference is that they took it seriously and started taking action on day one, rather than spinning their wheels for six weeks calling it a political hoax and pretending it would just magically go away.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:17 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:52 pm
Angel wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:34 am
That's part of how S. Korea and Japan have been handling it, with better success than most countries. The other big difference is that they took it seriously and started taking action on day one, rather than spinning their wheels for six weeks calling it a political hoax and pretending it would just magically go away.
Yeah, S. Korea and Japan were smart enough to get ahead in the testing phase.

And I"m gonna go ahead and open up a can of worms here, but... The other thing that S. Korea and Japan are doing right, that we tend to laugh at as 'Muricans is: EVERYONE is wearing masks. When EVERYONE wears a mask, EVERYONE is protecting themselves from spreading the virus to EVERYONE else. Even if the masks only cut down on 50% of the particulates when someone coughs, that's 50% less infection. It's plain, simple logic, that us 'Muricans have been taught to ignore.

Of course, there are no masks available in the Good ol' USA, so there's that.

I know how to sew. I guess I should get busy. :|

Feel free to sling worms at me as you see fit.
Last edited by wtfluff on Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:18 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:17 pm
Of course, there are no masks available in the Good ol' USA, so there's that.
Yup, that's another way they're doing it better. A little bit of preparatory foresight.

Have you ever heard an LDS leader "prophesy" that storing surgical masks and hand sanitizer would be more useful than raw wheat and powdered funeral potatoes?

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:13 pm

wtfluff wrote:

NOM HALL OF FAME COMMENT RIGHT THERE.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:07 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:18 pm
powdered funeral potatoes?
[shudder]

Seriously. If they invented powdered funeral potatoes, I might have to add them to my list of essential supplies. (To go along with the whiskey and diet soda.)

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:22 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with the sentiment. If I were over 70, I would wish for a way to keep things running by putting only myself at risk. It's just not possible, though.

I think of his comments as a failure of reason rather than a moral failure.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:55 pm

Reuben wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:22 am
I don't think there's anything wrong with the sentiment. If I were over 70, I would wish for a way to keep things running by putting only myself at risk. It's just not possible, though.

I think of his comments as a failure of reason rather than a moral failure.
If retirees could just step out of retirement and take over their kids' jobs without years of training I'm sure most of us would be glad to do it but, as you point out Reuben, it's a lot more complicated than Bro Beck makes it sound. I would gladly give my life if it meant saving my childrens' (I can only imagine the guilt they would bear if they allowed me to die that way!). I guess the bigger problem is that just tossing a bunch of old folks into some of the most impacted industries, like airlines, doesn't fix the problem either.

Maybe the most positive thing about this situation is that a lot of people can work from home.

And I have to remind myself that commentators like Beck are just entertainers who sell products by firing up people's amygdalas.