What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
alas

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by alas » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:19 am

Remember, those “confirmed cases are only the ones sick enough to be hospitalized. My daughter is still sick with something that fits all the symptoms, but not enough “deep pain” in her chest, so she can’t get tested and people around her are getting sick, but they are all just people getting sick, because none of them are rich or famous or sick enough.

This is crap and we are not going to contain this if we continue to treat it as if it is only corona virus if you are #1 rich. #2 famous. #3 in hospital with serious respiratory complications.

Now, the grandfather of her children just died and she is terrified she gave him Corona virus, but they won’t test him either because he is old and died rather suddenly and had pre-existing heart problems.

She was in New York while people were getting sick from “that cruise ship virus” and then they started calling it Corona virus, and she came back to Utah and got sick, but she can’t get tested because she isn’t quite sick enough to go to the hospital. Meanwhile, people she lives with are being forced to work, (grocery store) and SHE CAN’T GET TESTED. She is “isolated” and crying because she can’t go to whatever funeral they have for the man who was her father in law for 20 years, but people who live at her house are at your local grocery store baking your cookies you buy.

People, we are not going to contain this thing unless we do like China did and test and isolate *everyone* who gets sick. China took everyone who was sick and put them in hotels/hospitals away from their healthy family, and they tested everyone who showed any symptoms and isolated them.

Be scared, be very scared, because we are not going to contain this any more than Italy did and they had a 4% death rate and New York has an even higher death rate, and in Utah, sick people with all the symptoms, who were in an area that has now been declared, “isolate yourself if you even visit” cannot even get tested and have to pitch a fit not to have to go to work sick, and have all symptoms, but still can’t get tested, meanwhile someone living in the same house, caring for the same baby, is going to work, leaving grandpa babysitting, while grandma is still sleeping in the same bed. Ya, right, we are going to flatten the curve, and we are going to reopen the economy by Easter. And Utah has 298 cases. [Hysterical laughing in the background]

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:59 am

Doesn’t help either when missionaries are walking off planes onto US soil without any form of care by customs or the church. Welcome home “hero”, now go self quarantine.

Meanwhile:

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Hi everyone - I just came back to this thread to eat some crow. I was one of the skeptics early in this thread, and while skepticism generally serves me well, it didn't in this case. I underestimated the threat from COVID-19, and never let it be said I won't admit when I am wrong.

It is way more serious than I realized when I commented on this thread earlier, and anyone who reads my earlier comments hopefully realizes they were made by someone who got it very, very wrong.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:56 pm
Ok, just one more trip to Costco and I think I'll be set for toilet paper
I can't even begin to tell you how disgusted I am by the selfishness and lack of concern for others displayed by the people in that picture.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:07 pm
t is way more serious than I realized when I commented on this thread earlier, and anyone who reads my earlier comments hopefully realizes they were made by someone who got it very, very wrong.
I was leaning skeptical too, but it's a fine line between skeptical and optimistic ;) . I think the most important thing is for people to realize that this isn't the apocalypse. It's gonna hurt but panic is still the worst enemy.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:17 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:23 am
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

55,225 confirmed cases in the US and 298 in Utah.
69,171 cases in the US and 340 in Utah.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:57 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Hi everyone - I just came back to this thread to eat some crow. I was one of the skeptics early in this thread, and while skepticism generally serves me well, it didn't in this case. I underestimated the threat from COVID-19, and never let it be said I won't admit when I am wrong.

It is way more serious than I realized when I commented on this thread earlier, and anyone who reads my earlier comments hopefully realizes they were made by someone who got it very, very wrong.
Me to. We’ve gone from laughing about washing hands and home sacrament to moksha’s daily death toll updates.

A friend had a coworker die. I’m worried about elder care and parents, a college kid in limbo, and all the other things out of my control.

The bright side here is the church has become extremely irrelevant in my head.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:23 am

Well, time to chime in. I went to pick up my kid from a church school and now I'm in quarantine with Sis. M and this kid. It hasn't been too bad, but can I tell you how shocked I was to go to this CES school and it looked like business as usual, other than classes were cancelled? It was bizarre.

I wasn't overly concerned either, but my goodness I used a lot of hand sanitizer as I travelled across the States to get my kid. I sure hope everyone is keeping safe.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:26 am

Not Buying It wrote:

Can I tell you how much I appreciate the people like NBI on this board? I suspect that's why we're all here, that we weren't afraid of admitting we were wrong about something. I wasn't at Sis M's level of concern initially at all, but I have certainly grown to appreciate her point of view and how she has kept all of us safe. Now I wash my hands all the time, practice social distancing, and we have no symptoms. And won't during our quarantine, and we have enough supplies to keep us for two weeks and probably more. Glad I listened to her!
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:17 pm
moksha wrote:

We were "10 days behind Italy" I believe tomorrow or the next day we will pass them up.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:59 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 am
moksha wrote:
moksha wrote:

We were "10 days behind Italy" I believe tomorrow or the next day we will pass them up.
Yup. And the USA and Italy are both going to blow right past China in confirmed cases. (If you believe that China is being honest about it's numbers...)

Of course the USA has a much higher population and land mass than Italy does, so the actual numbers are not a real, fair comparison.

If we are truly 10 days behind Italy in "all things" then that would also mean that we are near the peak and confirmed cases will start dropping. Sadly, I don't think that will be the case; We 'Muricans aren't capable of listening when we're told to #StayTheF@ckHome...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:17 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
moksha wrote:
moksha wrote:

Looks like the USA just pole vaulted right past both Italy and China. Ugh.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:23 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:17 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
moksha wrote:

Looks like the USA just pole vaulted right past both Italy and China. Ugh.

And the USA isnt accurately reporting either for that matter. To be tested in my community it takes 3 days to find out if you're negative for flu, strep, and RSV. Then another 3 days for covid. And so, our first confirmed case today is 6 days old news. Many aren't able to be tested at all.

One other thing not in our favor is hotspots advertisers the country and cases everywhere. Italy was mostly North and then migrated South. We have hotspots in Northeast, Northwest, California, Louisiana.... and so on.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:23 pm

Yes, the US now leads the world with 85,840 confirmed cases. 396 reported in Utah (which either denotes under-reporting or illustrates the protective nature of its underwear).

BTW, China's population is over 1.4 billion people. Of course, China could be deliberately under-reporting. For instance, Utah has more cases than Fujian China which has a population of 38.6 million people. While China has been very strict about its quarantine and lockdown, there is such a disparity in cases and the sheer number of the total population. Who knows? Maybe their underwear is also special.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:18 am

(((hugs))) Alas!! I'm so sorry your daughter is going though this.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:38 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:59 am
Doesn’t help either when missionaries are walking off planes onto US soil without any form of care by customs or the church. Welcome home “hero”, now go self quarantine.

Meanwhile:

Church news said none of the missionaries had rested positive. Anyone want to bet that's because they didnt do any testing? Plausible deniability....

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:41 am

104,837 cases in the US and 479 in Utah.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:08 am

moksha wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:41 am

104,837 cases in the US and 479 in Utah.
143,055 cases in the US and 722 in Utah.
-- Moksha

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:13 pm

Now that the church had a world-wide fast, I am going to put my garments back on, get a blessing and go lick the door handles at Walmart.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:27 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:08 am

143,055 cases in the US and 722 in Utah.
189,633 cases in the US and 888 cases in Utah.
-- Moksha