In preparation for GC, the FV, etc...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
MalcolmVillager

In preparation for GC, the FV, etc...

Post by MalcolmVillager » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:32 pm

So I have been studying the various FV accounts and reading several resources about them. I have encouraged my teenage daughters to read the Essay and the actual accounts themselves to gain their own opinion.

I also wrote these 3 versions of a true story from my own life. I think you will see where I am going.

The following account is my best recollection of certain events that actually happened to me in my early years. If there are mistakes, they are purely because of my human frailties or simply the fact that the purpose and audience changed with each telling.

Version 1, written in my own hand in my journal in my mid-twenties.
When I was fourteen years old I had some rambunctious friends who often coerced me into getting into trouble. One winter afternoon, a few of my buddies and I were passing the time by throwing snowballs at cars. Not in a criminal or malicious way that would damage property to cause a wreck, but in the soft and lighthearted way that would cause someone to grasp or laugh.

Unfortunately one of our targets was an undercover cop. We happened to be right in front of my house and the policeman immediately stopped to interrogate us. When he asked if we were throwing snowballs, my friends said no, but I cannot lie, and i said yes. He asked where we lived and I said right here. He told us to go inside and tell my parents what we had done.

We went in the house and were told that we were not in trouble, but that we had to eat beans for lunch as our punishment. I never threw snowballs at cars after that, although we did build a snowman in the middle of the road and throw a dummy in front of cars on a dark Halloween night a few years later.

Version 2, written on my computer in my early thirties as I explained my "criminal" history to an employer.
When I was a teenager I had some rambunctious friends who often coerced me into getting into trouble. Nothing significant because that just wasn't in my nature. One winter afternoon, my friend Steve and I were passing the time by throwing snowballs at each other. He lived on a busy street with lots of traffic.

Unfortunately one of his throws went over my head and almost hit an off-duty policeman who happened to be driving by at the time. He called one of his fellow officers, who immediately swarmed in on us, with sirens blaring. The policeman immediately stopped to interrogate us. When he asked if we were throwing snowballs, my friends said no, but I cannot lie, and i said yes. He asked where we lived and I said right around the corner. He gave us both citations and told us to go home and tell our parents what we had done.

I went home and told my dad and he said it wasn't a big deal. He told me we would go take care of it at the police station the following week and he made me eat beans for lunch as punishment. The next week, he drove me to the police station. I went in and spoke to several people. They told me the policeman never reported the citation and that I didn't need to worry about it. Years later I had a criminal report pulled for work and found out that I had an uncleared citation from decades before. When I spoke to the police department, they made me pay a $100 fine and apply to expunge my records.

Version 3, written on my computer in my late thirties as I explained my "criminal" history to my publicist who is trying to "get ahead of" certain events in my past as I seek public office.
When I was a teenager I had some rambunctious neighbors who often got into trouble. I avoided them as much as possible because trouble just wasn't in my nature. One winter afternoon, I was making a snowman in my front yard when my neighbor Steve began throwing snowballs at me. We lived on a busy street with lots of traffic.

Unfortunately one of his throws went over my head and almost hit an off-duty policeman who happened to be driving by at the time. He called one of his fellow officers, who immediately swarmed in on us, with sirens blaring. The policeman immediately stopped to interrogate us. When he asked if we were throwing snowballs, my friends said no, but I then told him what had happened. He gave Steve a citations and asked me to come testify at the trial.

I went home and told my dad and he said it wasn't a big deal. He told me we would personally take me to court on the day of the trial. He then made me some of his world famous beans for lunch and we ate together as he tried to console me. When we went to court a few weeks later, I found that Steve had already spoken to the policeman and had a counterclaim that I had to defend. Luckily, I got to speak directly to the judge himself. He believed my story completely and introduced me to the bailiff, and said while pointing to the bailiff "Malcolm, this is the bailiff. He will take you to the recorders office and dismiss your citation. Go with him."

After that, I knew that Steve was smearing my name all over the school. He said that everyone would know how much of a back stabber and dirtball I am,and that nobody would believe me. But I knew that I had never thrown a snowball in my life. I knew it, and the judge new it, and I would never deny that.

See, these are all the exact same story. The important things like how I spoke directly with the Judge, that I never thew a snowball, and that I ate beans for lunch were consistent in every version of this true story

2bizE

Re: In preparation for GC, the FV, etc...

Post by 2bizE » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:39 pm

Could you please share the recipe for your Dad’s beans? They sound tasty.
~2bizE

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:43 pm

2bizE wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:39 pm
Could you please share the recipe for your Dad’s beans? They sound tasty.
Pinto beans, ham, onions, salt. That is about it ;-) I always out cheese on them.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:04 am

Great example and good writing as well.

Plus, as all intelligent policemen, detectives, prosecutors know, the more a witnesses' story changes, the less credible they are.

This line that the church uses regarding Joseph's changing story being a sign of it's credibility is a joke that someone pulled out of their arse.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington