Dallin Oaks at the Mormon Hosanna Shout

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Apologeticsislying

Dallin Oaks at the Mormon Hosanna Shout

Post by Apologeticsislying » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:19 pm

The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Apologeticsislying

Re: Dallin Oaks at the Mormon Hosanna Shout

Post by Apologeticsislying » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:23 pm

https://ibb.co/bXJxfCJ

The other one did not photo well. I am seeing if this one is any better.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:33 am

We have special rooms inside each temple for practicing all parts of the temple ordinances. These are rooms where you can practice each procedure out loud. But I doubt that any group has ever really "practiced" the Hosanna Shout. President Nelson simply stood up front and waved his handkerchief in the way he felt would best work based on how he saw this performed in the past.

I am aware of no scriptures detailing exactly how to do it. So Oaks did it as he best knew and it ended up out of sync with the rest of the First Presidency. There are valid criticisms of various things that Oaks did and said over this past weekend, but I'll forgive him for following his lack of rhythm for the Hosanna Shout. It was more of a "Hosanna Mumble" at my house anyway.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:11 pm

Corsair wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:33 am
...I'll forgive him for following his lack of rhythm for the Hosanna Shout. It was more of a "Hosanna Mumble" at my house anyway.
White folks are notorious for having poor rhythm. The whiter you are the less rhythm is expected from you. Oaks was undoubtedly, considering the bigotry dogwhistling in his talk, the whitest person in the room.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."