Restoration Heritage Sunday Meeting

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
John Hamer

Restoration Heritage Sunday Meeting

Post by John Hamer » Wed May 13, 2020 7:59 pm

At noon Eastern Time Sunday, May 17th, 2020, we're having a Restoration Heritage Sunday meeting, live from Toronto Centre Place, Kirtland Temple, the Redbrick Store in Nauvoo, Illinois, and other locations.

Participants will include:
Lachlan Mackay, Community of Christ Apostle in charge of church historic sites and heritage
Jill Brim, the president of the John Whitmer Historical Association
Richard Howard, Emeritus Historian of Community of Christ --- our Leonard Arrington --- one of the luminaries of the New Mormon History
Barb Walden, the president of the Community of Christ Historic Sites Foundation
Seth Bryant, the director of Kirtland Temple
Christin Mackay, the director of the Joseph Smith Historic Site in Nauvoo, Illinois
Rachel Killebrew, the Archivist for Community of Christ
and myself

I think this will be a wonderful program. You can watch it on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dFiA8UvD3k

Hagoth

Re: Restoration Heritage Sunday Meeting

Post by Hagoth » Thu May 14, 2020 8:57 am

Sounds fascinating. That will have me bouncing between three Sunday morning tele-meetings! I watched one of your earlier meetings and found it really enjoyable.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu May 14, 2020 9:48 am

This looks appealing to me too. If I can sit through a LDS General Conference session, this looks like a piece of cake. I hope that doesn't sound too flippant. ;) :lol:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

John Hamer

Post by John Hamer » Thu May 14, 2020 3:21 pm

I don't know that it's flippant, deacon blues. In that vein, I can't imagine sitting through a General Conference session.

My own philosophy is that church should be interesting. I think our services are pretty action-packed in terms of solid, original, engaging content.

Glad you enjoyed one of the previous ones, Hagoth.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu May 14, 2020 4:47 pm

In case we miss the live presentation, will this remain on Youtube for later viewing?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

John Hamer

Post by John Hamer » Sat May 16, 2020 8:59 pm

moksha wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:47 pm
In case we miss the live presentation, will this remain on Youtube for later viewing?
Yes. Our YouTube channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/CentrePlaceTV

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun May 17, 2020 8:28 pm

John Hamer wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:59 pm
moksha wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:47 pm
Yes. Our YouTube channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/CentrePlaceTV
Thanks John. I tuned in for part of it but I also had my Oasis Community meeting and was checking in with my wife who was watching Zoom Sacrament Meeting in the other room. Is it just me or does your corner of the universe have a very different vibe from the Salt Lake branch? I have attended a few times but it feels a lot more traditional-churchy than the wave you are riding. Maybe I'm just responding to the physical space?

I need to find a good excuse to move to Toronto, or at least take a vacation there after the current apocalypse winds down.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

John Hamer

Post by John Hamer » Mon May 18, 2020 9:35 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:28 pm
Thanks John. I tuned in for part of it but I also had my Oasis Community meeting and was checking in with my wife who was watching Zoom Sacrament Meeting in the other room. Is it just me or does your corner of the universe have a very different vibe from the Salt Lake branch? I have attended a few times but it feels a lot more traditional-churchy than the wave you are riding. Maybe I'm just responding to the physical space?

I need to find a good excuse to move to Toronto, or at least take a vacation there after the current apocalypse winds down.
The different congregations are fairly autonomous and have their own cultures. Toronto has been one of the leading congregations of the Reorganization for most of its history, so our vibe may be a bit more cutting edge than other congregations.

John Hamer

Post by John Hamer » Mon May 18, 2020 9:40 pm

If people want to watch the recording, it's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dFiA8UvD3k

This was a pretty amazing service. We broke records with well over a thousand individuals participating live from dozens of countries.