Penny Dreadful: City of Angels

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
moksha

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels

Post by moksha » Tue May 19, 2020 12:13 am

I saw the first episode of Penny Dreadful: City of Angels tonight. Has anyone else seen this show? I was trying to imagine Natalie Dormer as the angel with the drawn sword. Natalie plays the antagonist, the counterpart to Nuestra Señora de la Santa Muerte, the angel who lovingly receives the dead.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Re: Penny Dreadful: City of Angels

Post by moksha » Thu May 21, 2020 1:48 am

Watched three episodes in three days. That zoot suite dance number in episode three was totally worth the price of admission. I am really impressed with the quality of acting in this show.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu May 21, 2020 1:20 pm

Is this the first season? I had a friend who recommended this show some time ago.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu May 21, 2020 4:03 pm

This is the third season. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but this one appears to be something completely different. The original storyline was a Victorian mashup of classic movie monsters with some Oscar Wilde thrown in. At first I thought it sounded incredibly hokey, but they really made it work well. I haven't seen the new one; I don't have Showtime.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri May 22, 2020 5:41 am

Not sure where the streets are, but the location scouts really chose well. This really has the look and feel of 1938 going for it. The cars in this film are something to behold. Nazis, zoot suiters, an Aimee Semple McPherson-type character, an angel and devil, the Aroyo Seco Parkway (first freeway in the United States) - a lot of things going on.

I suppose they tacked the name Penny Dreadful onto this for franchise purposes even if it is totally unrelated to any past shows. Hagoth, I wouldn't want to suggest any downloads to bypass Showtime. That might be against the Word of Wisdom.
-- Moksha

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Sun May 24, 2020 2:14 pm

I watched all of Penny Dreadful on Netflix last fall while doing homework. I’m still not used to watching explicit scenes, so I do not regret not giving it my full attention. I did enjoy the show, obviously, because after the last episode I googled to see if it was really finished. That’s when I read about the spin off. I liked her the most therefore I don’t really feel drawn to City of Angles. Plus I don’t have showtime either. Uh, maybe one day if it’s put on Netflix, since you said it was as good as the original series?

I imagine you all have finished GoT. I haven’t, and my brother just said the last season was a huge disappointment. So much to read and watch, I am wondering if I should even bother ever finishing it (I have no intentions of reading the books). I think I was at the end of season 5 or 6. I had to look away a lot in that too haha... It’s not just the sex though... I still haven’t fully seen what John Wick does with that pencil... I can’t help but look away every time. I apologize if that’s too off thread topic; just wondering your thoughts.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:06 am

I just finished episode six. It was intense. Nothing predictable about the plot turns and twists in this show.
-- Moksha

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:30 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:41 am
Not sure where the streets are, but the location scouts really chose well. This really has the look and feel of 1938 going for it. The cars in this film are something to behold. Nazis, zoot suiters, an Aimee Semple McPherson-type character, an angel and devil, the Aroyo Seco Parkway (first freeway in the United States) - a lot of things going on.

I suppose they tacked the name Penny Dreadful onto this for franchise purposes even if it is totally unrelated to any past shows. Hagoth, I wouldn't want to suggest any downloads to bypass Showtime. That might be against the Word of Wisdom.
We might need to change your avatar image ;)
piratepenguin.png
piratepenguin.png (71.04 KiB) Viewed 4329 times
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:56 am

I finally watched all the episodes. I thought it would build up to a supernatural ending. Instead, it gave a religious message (that might not even be recognized as such by the religionists we are most familiar with since it dealt with the vigilance needed to keep anger from overpowering love. Building walls with a freeway is like proferring an exclusionary Jesus; it keeps love out). This was a well-crafted script with superb acting. I was very impressed by the guy who played the lead character. He reminded me of the old-time actor Jimmy Stewart.
-- Moksha