If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 22

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
annotatedbom

If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 22

Post by annotatedbom » Sun May 31, 2020 7:01 am

For Come Follow Me, Lesson 22, Jun 1-7, 2020, Alma 5-7

If I wanted to encourage thought and try to understand devout believers better, I might ask:
Were there really sheep in the Americas during Book of Mormon times?

See the Things to consider for this lesson.

And, here’s a list of some other observations about this lesson’s reading.

Enjoy!
A-Bom

deacon blues

Re: If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 22

Post by deacon blues » Sun May 31, 2020 4:19 pm

I just wanted to say again, thanks for this wonderful resource. We visited TBM stepson and family today, and your lesson from last week was right on. I choose not to push any points, but this coming weeks discussion of sheep could lead to some very interesting discussions. :)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Sun May 31, 2020 6:24 pm

Thanks Deac! That means a lot to me.

I hope the Annotated BoM helps validate some of us and maybe even helps a few devout Mormons have a little better understanding of why their loved one or other acquaintance can no longer believe. I doubt many devout believers would change their mind about the BoM because of what I write. I try to address the evidence, but most don't believe because of the evidence. My writing doesn't do much by way of telling a personal story, so it's not likely to touch the heart of a believer. But, that's okay because there are plenty of other sources out there to help bring believers to the rabbit hole of evidence against the Church when a person is ready for that.

Hope it isn't too unpleasant sitting through Come Follow Me lessons with your fam. If you ever do end up sharing information with some of your believers that is problematic for BoM claims, please share some of that experience with us if you're comfortable with that (whether the info came from my Annotated BoM or not).

Best wishes amigo,
A-BoM

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun May 31, 2020 9:17 pm

I'd like to see the Nephite who could catch a Bighorn lamb. :roll:

Especially in the areas where they live.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:45 am

Palerider wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:17 pm
I'd like to see the Nephite who could catch a Bighorn lamb. :roll:

Especially in the areas where they live.
Hahaa! Well, I’m sure you’ve seen the Arnold Friberg paintings of Nephites. Certainly the athletic physiques he portrayed shows that if anybody could have caught a bighorn lamb, it would have been a Nephite.

What’s that you say? Any reality depicted in BoM art is merely coincidental? Shudder at the thought!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:36 pm

annotatedbom wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:45 am
Hahaa! Well, I’m sure you’ve seen the Arnold Friberg paintings of Nephites. Certainly the athletic physiques he portrayed shows that if anybody could have caught a bighorn lamb, it would have been a Nephite.
Not to mention Ammon defending the king's "flocks."
My former bishop, who is far better read than most members, came to the conclusion that Lamoni's flocks must have been turkeys because that's pretty much the only possible American substitute of something that could be raised in flocks.

Also, Jesus talked to the Nephites about chickens, which would have been a real WTF moment in the sermon. What's that apologist? Chicken bones were found on the coast of South America? You mean the ones from a much later time period and far outside of BoM geography, and that were genetically traced directly to Polynesia?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:00 pm

Folks, let’s not forget that the earliest Americans crossed the ice bridge to Alaska like 13,000 years ago and came down the coast and perhaps even by Rocky Mountains. They could have been exposed to Dall Sheep and Bighorn Sheep. They could have told the BoM people about them during a 600 bc Family Home Evening while eating popcorn and pork chops.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:19 am

Evidence of the Lost Sheep of Beringia may have been hidden by the Cumoms and Cureloms
when they tidied up the continent after their friends the Nephites disappeared.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:41 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:36 pm
annotatedbom wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:45 am
Not to mention Ammon defending the king's "flocks."
My former bishop, who is far better read than most members, came to the conclusion that Lamoni's flocks must have been turkeys because that's pretty much the only possible American substitute of something that could be raised in flocks.

Also, Jesus talked to the Nephites about chickens, which would have been a real WTF moment in the sermon. What's that apologist? Chicken bones were found on the coast of South America? You mean the ones from a much later time period and far outside of BoM geography, and that were genetically traced directly to Polynesia?
Those chicken bones are so last decade. The chickens Jesus referred to were actually turkeys.

The Reformed Egyptian word for "turkey" was variously translated (by the power of God!) into "flocks" (plural), "chicken," "curelom" and "horse," depending on context.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:05 pm

Freidberg's forgotten last painting:
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:36 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:36 pm
I challenged an apologist (albeit, certainly not of FairMormon caliber) once on the chicken reference, and if memory serves, they linked to an article about chickens in pre-Columbian America that actually put the earliest date of them in the Americas as long after Moroni allegedly buried the plates in the Hill Cumorah. I think I remember American chickens were here maybe as early as the 1300s. Poor apologist.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:20 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:05 pm
Freidberg's forgotten last painting:
That's what I'm talkin' about, my man. One of his best works, a fine rendition of Enos on horseback.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.