Another shot at church lawsuit

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Palerider

Another shot at church lawsuit

Post by Palerider » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:37 pm

Will be interesting to see how this goes. One can only hope. :|

https://legalnewsline.com/stories/53865 ... ing-church
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Red Ryder

Re: Another shot at church lawsuit

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:37 pm

“The Amended Complaint is little more than a hodgepodge of criticisms of the Church and its teachings… She is, of course, entitled to her religious beliefs. But she is not entitled to use this Court to spread those beliefs or to force the Church to defend its religious teachings.”
This is the strategy they constantly employ. Tie the complaints to criticism of the church.

This one will get thrown out too.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:35 pm

Religions can get away with anything short of the systematic rape of children by its Holy Men, but it mostly gets away with that too. Wake me up when Scientology gets sued out of existence and I'll set my alarm for 50 years to see how it eventually works out for Mormonism.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:29 am

Waste of time. Move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:16 am

Filing a suit against the LDS Church in Salt Lake City makes about as much sense as filing a suit against Monsanto in Mutant Genetics Land. Neither the Mormon nor genetically mutated judges would allow it; they owe too much to their respective corporations.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:34 am

If at first you don’t succeed...
You just have to find the right loophole...
~2bizE

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:34 pm

Isn't that the judge who ruled in favor of gay marriage? Ironic that mormons hated him for that but he tossed the original suit in this case.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:37 am

Sounds like the judge is doing his job.

There was no legal justification for banning gay marriage that didn't violate separation of church and state. Like it or not, churches can tell whatever story they want to people. This judge is just doing what the law says to do.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:26 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:35 pm
Religions can get away with anything short of the systematic rape of children by its Holy Men, but it mostly gets away with that too. Wake me up when Scientology gets sued out of existence and I'll set my alarm for 50 years to see how it eventually works out for Mormonism.
Agreed. This lawsuit is a waste of time that just makes it easy for the faithful to laugh at those who leave. Matters of religious doctrine and belief simply cannot be litigated - all faith by definition serves as a substitute for fulsome evidence.
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.