A fun quiz for you and your favorite TBM's

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
lostinmiddlemormonism

A fun quiz for you and your favorite TBM's

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:57 am

For each of the following please complete the sentence or thought to the best of your ability:

1. Knock! Knock! (Door Opens) Hello, my name is Elder Jones, and this is my companion Elder Shumway, and we are missionaries from...

2. The name of the leader of our church is...

3. If you have committed a serious sin and feel the need to repent you should being the repentance process by talking to...

4. ... has the ability to exercise all priesthood keys and can delegate these to others.

5. The individual who provides final approval on our worthiness and ability to enter the temple is...

6. The one who gives the final approval that the sacrament prayer has been said appropriately is....

7. We are saved by...

8. ...was martyred to seal his testimony with his blood.

9. Follow the...

10. If confronted with a situation where the prophet told me to do one thing and Jesus told me to do another then...

lostinmiddlemormonism

Re: A fun quiz for you and your favorite TBM's

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:03 pm

Now for the answer key:

A TBM likely responds as follows:
1. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
2. President Russel M Nelson.
3. the bishop.
4. The Prophet
5. the Stake President.
6. the bishop.
7. This one has a few likely answers (grace after all we can do) (Faith, Repentance, Baptism) (Obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel)
8. Joseph Smith
9. Prophet
10. Won't happen because the prophet will never lead us astray so he would never tell us something that is contradictory to the words of Jesus.

There may be some variation of the above but those will likely be the answers.

A Christian's answers would be: Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.

Kind of makes one wonder why we put all this other stuff between He and us doesn't it...most significantly our thought process.

-lost

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:34 pm

1... down the block.
2... Charles Nelson Reilly (any Dead Milkmen fans out there?)
3... that guy in the mirror who talked you into doing all of that stupid-ass stuff in the first place
4 Vince Clortho, Keymaster of Gozer...
5... Karen W. Mormando (Director of Undergraduate Admissions at Temple University)
6... Minerva McGonagall
7... hitting the S key
8... Blue Oyster Cult? My college roommate wouldn't listen to them because they had signed a contract with the devil... in their own blood.
9... White Rabbit down the hole
10... excuse yourself by making smoke come out of your ears
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:38 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:03 pm
A Christian's answers would be: Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.
But... but... but... that means you could follow Him without any sort of church oversite or money exchange at all. That can't be right!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

alas

Post by alas » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:24 pm

Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:57 am
For each of the following please complete the sentence or thought to the best of your ability:

1. Knock! Knock! (Door Opens) Hello, my name is Elder Jones, and this is my companion Elder Shumway, and we are missionaries from...

3. If you have committed a serious sin and feel the need to repent you should being the repentance process by talking to...

4. ... has the ability to exercise all priesthood keys and can delegate these to others.

5. The individual who provides final approval on our worthiness and ability to enter the temple is...

6. The one who gives the final approval that the sacrament prayer has been said appropriately is....

7. We are saved by...

9. Follow the...

10. If confronted with a situation where the prophet told me to do one thing and Jesus told me to do another then...
3. The person hurt by the sin. Because to me, restitution is the most important part of repentance. Even if you confess to Jesus He is going to tell you to go to the person you hurt
5. Me, I answer the last question about do I feel worthy to enter the temple
9. Your own conscience
10. Even when I was The most TBM ever, I still would have answered that I would do what I feel is right, because sometimes you don’t know for sure what Jesus would say n the subject.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:24 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:34 pm
I do have a big lizard in my backyard, but I won't dance to anything.

Edit: And now it will be stuck in my head for... Weeks? (Not necessarily a bad thing...)
Last edited by wtfluff on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:44 pm

grace after all we can do
Grace of Jesus covers 90% and you have to pay the Church the remaining 10%.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:54 pm

Monsignor - Hey, is there any way we could tell our parishioners that the "Grace of Jesus covers 90% and you have to pay the Church the remaining 10%?"

Bishop - Yes, but that would be blasphemy.

Monsignor - We could start investing that 10% and soon have a hundred billion dollar tax-free slush fund like the Mormons.

Bishop - I suppose it wouldn't hurt to form an exploratory committee on this matter.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:09 am

Oh, my goodness! You two must be very hot and tired. Here, let me get you some water.

How nice. I don't believe in organized religion.

I'd start with my therapist, because I have a tendency to put my foot in my mouth and then I'd go talk to the person I hurt and work things out with them.

You know what you're saying is bonk, right?

Me.

You know there's a pandemic going on, right?

7. We are saved by...

Minding our own goddamned business and living a good life.

All those "witches" who weren't actually witches killed during the witch trials.

9. Follow the...

Money. IOW, who benefits from what I see happening?

Follow my own logic and conscience.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Random

Post by Random » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:19 pm

Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:57 am
1. Knock! Knock! (Door Opens) Hello, my name is Elder Jones, and this is my companion Elder Shumway, and we are missionaries from some Church or other.

2. The name of the leader of our church is Jesus.

3. If you have committed a serious sin and feel the need to repent you should begin the repentance process by talking to God and, if it will not do further harm, the person you hurt.

4. God has the ability to exercise all priesthood keys and humans really have no clue what that even means.

5. The individual who provides final approval on our worthiness and ability to enter the house of God is God.

6. The one who gives the final approval that the sacrament prayer has been said appropriately is whoever was willing to read along as the prayer was being said.

7. We are saved by the grace of God and our own sincere repentance.

8. ̶ ̶.̶.̶.̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶m̶a̶r̶t̶y̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶e̶s̶t̶i̶m̶o̶n̶y̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶l̶o̶o̶d̶. [I really don't have one for this. I disagree with the general consensus here of JS's moral character. I believe he was killed because of those who professed to follow him (or at least who once professed that). At this point, I don't really understand sealing a testimony with one's blood. What testimony, exactly, was he sealing? What I see is that time had run out for building the temple God told them to build; and if they didn't build it soon enough, they'd be moved out of their place. I think Joseph being killed marked the end of the allotted time]

9. Follow the gospel of Jesus Christ.

10. If confronted with a situation where *a prophet told me to do one thing and Jesus told me to do another then - duh, no-brainer. Listen to Jesus.

*A prophet, not "the". I don't believe we have one man we should follow and place in the chief seats, as it were. And anyone can be a prophet, really.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:16 am

This is a very strange claim and the points Random made were very good. I think people may have been using the idea of people, objects, and ideas being sealed with blood for a long time. Religious guy, John Hus, refused to recant before he was burned at the stake and said, "My testimony is sealed with my blood'. Amerindian tribespeople would indicate a bond between each other with blood. Faust's deal with the devil was sealed with Faust's blood. I imagine vampires have their own stories as to what this concept means to them. Anyways, this phase was widely used back when Blood Atonement was being discussed.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:29 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:16 am
This is a very strange claim and the points Random made were very good. I think people may have been using the idea of people, objects, and ideas being sealed with blood for a long time. Religious guy, John Hus, refused to recant before he was burned at the stake and said, "My testimony is sealed with my blood'. Amerindian tribespeople would indicate a bond between each other with blood. Faust's deal with the devil was sealed with Faust's blood. I imagine vampires have their own stories as to what this concept means to them. Anyways, this phase was widely used back when Blood Atonement was being discussed.
James Strang
David Koresh
Marshall Applewhite
Etc.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:01 pm

The Church of Cheese and Rice of Rattle-Day Snakes.

Reality itself, distantly approchable and somewhat effable.

The person you have wronged, if possible.

Whoever has the common consent of those they delegate to. Keys are purely a social construct, and pretending they come from God is only a ploy to get people to hand over their personal authority without question.

Whoever you think has that authority over you. I hope it's you.

The bishop, as per the corporation's employee handbook.

7. We are saved by...

Lifeguards? The fire department? What is this saving you speak of? Why would we need it? Saving from what?

Thanos. Emperor Palpatine. Scar.

This is a stupid notion. The fact that someone is willing to die for an idea says almost nothing about that idea's worth.

9. Follow the...

Evidence, regardless of where it leads.

I would make an appointment to see a psychiatrist.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:30 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:09 am

Oh, my goodness! You two must be very hot and tired. Here, let me get you some water.

How nice. I don't believe in organized religion.

I'd start with my therapist, because I have a tendency to put my foot in my mouth and then I'd go talk to the person I hurt and work things out with them.

You know what you're saying is bonk, right?

Me.

You know there's a pandemic going on, right?

7. We are saved by...

Minding our own goddamned business and living a good life.

All those "witches" who weren't actually witches killed during the witch trials.

9. Follow the...

Money. IOW, who benefits from what I see happening?

Follow my own logic and conscience.
This is perfect.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:42 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:34 pm

Okay, I bought that album on vinyl in the 80s. I have it on a thumb drive. Next road trip! Here's to politically incorrect angsty post punk rock surfer music!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Random

Post by Random » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:35 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:16 am
Vampires. Hm. :thinking:

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:29 pm
James Strang
David Koresh
Marshall Applewhite
Etc.
But what are these people sealing? Isn't a sealing a closing of some sort? (like sealing an envelope, or sealing a room so no one gets out) Or were they gluing themselves to something? God, maybe?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:41 pm

Random wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:35 pm
But what are these people sealing? Isn't a sealing a closing of some sort? (like sealing an envelope, or sealing a room so no one gets out) Or were they gluing themselves to something? God, maybe?
Or like little Jackie Paper who loved that rascal Puff the Dragon and brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff.
-- Moksha

Random

Post by Random » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:49 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Random wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:35 pm
Or like little Jackie Paper who loved that rascal Puff the Dragon and brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff.
Sounds about as good as any other explanation I've heard.

PK