Yesterday's Launch and Today's ISS docking-

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Lithium Sunset

Yesterday's Launch and Today's ISS docking-

Post by Lithium Sunset » Sun May 31, 2020 12:05 pm

I thought it was all so exciting! Even if "any moment" meant in the next hour or so. Goodness, I was ready to suit up, fly up there, and push them out of the Dragon myself. I now equate extreme patience to mission control and astronauts. And I felt so bad he hit his head, even after all the padding they put up.
Ah, just so cool to be able to watch the launch, docking, and them board the ISS. Technology can be awesome. ... though once they started talking politics I checked out. Who put that guy in charge? They can "party" without me.

I'm still geeking out over the fact the rocket can land like that and is reusable. And it was so fast on take off; I had goosebumps when it launched.
Anyway, fun piece of history. Hopefully all our astronauts are now safe when launching, landing, and everything in between.

Now to await my beloved JWST's launch. Talk about patience... I have been waiting for five years, mind you they have been working on it much much longer that that.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Random

Re: Yesterday's Launch and Today's ISS docking-

Post by Random » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:38 pm

It was exciting and I missed it. :(
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:30 pm

All of this takes me back to my childhood when I used to read stories about billionaires building their own spaceships, and when rockets took off from the pad and then landed tail-first on their landing gear. I get Ray Bradbury chills whenever I watch one of these launches. And now we're putting humans back into space from Cape Canaveral. It's warm fuzzies all around for me.

BTW, anybody watch Space Force on Netflix?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:13 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:30 pm
BTW, anybody watch Space Force on Netflix?
Ah, sorry Random...

The boys and I watched Space Force in two sittings. When season one ended I said it was okay/pretty good and my oldest son replied smugly with, "what are you talking about, you laughed the most every episode." Well, I couldn't argue that. My youngest son had watched it first and loved it so wanted all of us to watch it together. I didn't like everything, but it was fun way to spend time together.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:34 pm

All I knew about it was that the critics were harsh on it, so I didn't expect much. Maybe that's why I as pleasantly surprised. I kind of get the impression that people want Steve Carell to be Michael Scott into the eternities. I didn't like him at all in The Office, having been a fan of the original Ricky Gervais version. I only watched one or two episodes and gave up. I think his Space Force character is pretty funny.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:05 pm

I was giddy with excitement. This is great stuff.

The autonomous barge the first stage landed on is named the Of Course I Still Love You. Its name is that of an AI spaceship in the book The Player of Games by Iain Banks, which coincidentally I'm reading right now.

Age of the geek, baby.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.