Has anyone been back to church yet to report?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Has anyone been back to church yet to report?

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:07 am

I’ve read a few accounts on Reddit but wondering if anyone here has attended the limited services sacrament meeting?

Our Stake has attempted 3 times to start back up but have postponed due to the virus. I’m glad they have decided to postpone as it seems pointless to attend just to sing songs and listen to lame talks in small groups.

I’m personally holding out and not going back anytime until there’s a vaccine.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

alas

Re: Has anyone been back to church yet to report?

Post by alas » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:34 am

We are at Bear Lake and normally our ward runs an extra sacrament meeting just for tourists and still is overwhelmed with tourists for the “locals” sacrament meeting. The ward in Garden City has it worse and runs two sacrament meetings just for tourists, expanding to a brand new chapel just for tourists. But the two wards apparently talked it over and rather than trying to have sacrament meeting for the locals only to have 100s of tourists show up from all over and bring the virus with them in infect the local population, they have decided to have one sacrament meeting for tourists. First come first in the door, then once they have their chapel full with the spacing of six feet, they turn everybody else away. The locals aren’t supposed to come till fall. My husband kind of jokingly asked if us snowbirds qualify as tourists or locals. He doesn’t plan on trying to go to the tourist meeting. Too much risk of infection when there are people from all over. He said, why don’t we just go on a cruise? In their words, if they had opened up strictly locals only, he would attend. But, No way n hell is he showing up when the chapel is full of tourists. Ivan if they said “locals only”, then you have a bunch of Salt Lake valley folk who own a cabin and they spend most of the Summer weekends up here and they will show up at church feeling like they have every right. They pay taxes and tithing. And so we get the SL valley infection spread up here. So, no church for locals till after tourist season in the fall.

So, no church at least till fall when we migrate back south along with the other snowbirds. Then DH will look at the infection rates and decide if it is safe or not.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:32 pm

I can't remember the last time I went to church.

I plan on returning to church when I die.

End useless post.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:37 pm

My ward opens for business in mid-July. Mrs. Linked is going to go by herself to check it out. I am thinking this may be a good time to stop going semi-permanently.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:54 pm

I honestly have no idea if LDS churches are meeting in my area. Probably on some level because other churches are opening up, but IDK. That tells me that my "please don't talk to me about Mormonism" face and FB filters must be working pretty well.

græy

Post by græy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:48 am

My stake/ward plan on holding the first sacrament meetings in July. Each ward will have one Sunday to themselves and is free to have as many sac. meetings as necessary to meet demand and keep attendance below 50. My ward is planning 2 meetings.

Then in August we go to two meetings/month with two wards sharing a Sunday, maximum 100 in attendance per meeting.

I am immuno-compromised and neither myself nor anyone from my household will be going back to church until there is a vaccine. :D

The only drawback to all of this is that I used to play indoor competitive sports and if I can't justify church for health reasons, then I can't really justify sports either. :cry:

Still, worth it.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:53 am

græy wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:48 am
The only drawback to all of this is that I used to play indoor competitive sports and if I can't justify church for health reasons, then I can't really justify sports either. :cry:

Still, worth it.
Yup. I’m trying to explain to the wife why I won’t go back for church in a large group setting then I head off to Home Depot not worried about the crowds.

Seriously though, what’s the point of meeting in a small group for church if you can do all the church stuff at home?

It’s about maintaining control and reminding members church IS necessary when in reality church is NOT necessary.

From my personal perspective life is just better without it. Remind me again why church life matters?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

græy

Post by græy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:00 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:53 am
Yup. I’m trying to explain to the wife why I won’t go back for church in a large group setting then I head off to Home Depot not worried about the crowds.
:lol:
Red Ryder wrote:
Seriously though, what’s the point of meeting in a small group for church if you can do all the church stuff at home?

It’s about maintaining control and reminding members church IS necessary when in reality church is NOT necessary.

From my personal perspective life is just better without it. Remind me again why church life matters?
I'm still amazed at the number of people I talk to who admit to REALLY enjoying staying home on Sundays. The bold ones will even confess that they don't want to go back. And still, in the same breath, they will testify how the chuch/gospel (same thing, right?) make them SO HAPPY!! :roll:
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:25 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wait... Do do you shake hands with all the Home Depot peoples, give them hugs, sing songs, and eat magick Wonder-Bread that has been fondled by teenagers when you go to Home Depot?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

alas

Post by alas » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:56 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:25 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Wait... Do do you shake hands with all the Home Depot peoples, give them hugs, sing songs, and eat magick Wonder-Bread that has been fondled by teenagers when you go to Home Depot?
We do ACE hardwear. And they served popcorn until covid. Much better than mutilated Wonderbread.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:38 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:50 pm
Not yet. Wife really likes to attend church. I on the other hand and going to milk last years heart attack for all its worth. After all I am "immuno-compromised," and should avoid large gatherings...right?
Yes you should.
~2bizE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:40 pm

græy wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:00 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
:lol:
Red Ryder wrote:

I'm still amazed at the number of people I talk to who admit to REALLY enjoying staying home on Sundays. The bold ones will even confess that they don't want to go back. And still, in the same breath, they will testify how the chuch/gospel (same thing, right?) make them SO HAPPY!! :roll:
I have so enjoyed not having church. I love sleeping in without guilt or nagging. I want Covid to go away, but would love not to go to church anymore. I want to join a branch of home churchers.
~2bizE