Request: short list of JS paper juiciest bits?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Abinidied

Request: short list of JS paper juiciest bits?

Post by Abinidied » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:35 pm

Got a request from somebody who looks like they are about to bail looking for details from JS papers and wondering if anyones put together like a top 10 list of bat $#!+ crazy quotes and such from the papers?
Cum omnia defecerunt, ludere mortuis. (When all else fails, play dead.)
--Red Green

græy

Re: Request: short list of JS paper juiciest bits?

Post by græy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:50 pm

I would be interested in this too. I don't know any list sourcing only JSP. However, I do enjoy the following two "lists"...

https://faenrandir.github.io/a_careful_examination/

https://www.ldsdiscussions.com
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Abinidied

Post by Abinidied » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:14 pm

Thankyou græy! I was unaware of either of these sites. Just diving in and finding them excellent! Will spend some Covid time (months?) pouring through the content. Much appreciated.
Cum omnia defecerunt, ludere mortuis. (When all else fails, play dead.)
--Red Green

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:40 am

I'm not sure of a single source that goes over the best parts from the JS papers projects.

We try to cover parts of it @ ldsdiscussions, but more in the sense of how it fits into other topics.

I suppose it could be fun to do like a "top ten" list of craziest bits of info that are in the JS papers, but it's a pretty large amount of stuff to limit in that way.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:42 am

One unintentionally funny place to look is the 1832 First Vision. Certainly the 1832 version is its own can of worms. But look at the edges of the pages near the spine of the book. You can see a long, vertical line on those pages which is where they were carefully taped back in after Joseph Fielding Smith cut them out and hid them while he was church historian for decades. There is still a couple of noticeable margin cuts on page 3 and 4. Then there is an egregiously bad tape job on the bottom of pages 5 and 6. I suspect this is where JFS botched the job in the 1960s and not a library professional in the 1990s.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Corsair wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:42 am
One unintentionally funny place to look is the 1832 First Vision. Certainly the 1832 version is its own can of worms. But look at the edges of the pages near the spine of the book. You can see a long, vertical line on those pages which is where they were carefully taped back in after Joseph Fielding Smith cut them out and hid them while he was church historian for decades. There is still a couple of noticeable margin cuts on page 3 and 4. Then there is an egregiously bad tape job on the bottom of pages 5 and 6. I suspect this is where JFS botched the job in the 1960s and not a library professional in the 1990s.
A great supporting article:
https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-cont ... 02_210.pdf
~2bizE

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:03 am

What sealed the deal for me that Joseph Smith was a traitor was his being anointed literal king, and his followers being and going through the same, only in super top secret. This is entirely, 100% TOTALLY at variance with everything about having America free under the Constitution. I even had the historian Michael Marquardt in my home who gave a lecture on the kingly anointing and what they were doing. So like Donald Trump, Joseph Smith, John Taylor, Brigham Young and a host of the early apostles, spoke out of both sides of his mouth and lied about honoring, obeying and sustaining the law. He and they wanted total King dictator status and the intention of going away to hide n the Rocky Mountains until things blew over was to acquire enough power and army to overthrow the United States, and rule the world.
That was the straw that broke the camels back on Joseph Smith for me. And it came out of the JS Papers.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-