Time for another fast?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Time for another fast?

Post by 2bizE » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:01 pm

Utah state Covid numbers continue to rise. 643 new cases today.
I think the only think that can stop this is another worldwide fast...
Take your vitamins and prepare spiritually to help stop the spread of the virus...

https://www.ksl.com/article/46767467/he ... -the-state
~2bizE

wtfluff

Re: Time for another fast?

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:13 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:01 pm
Take your vitamins and prepare spiritually to help stop the spread of the virus...

No, it's time for those useless old men in their ivory tower in downtown SLC to make a statement to their followers that the followers should pay attention to what public health officials are recommending.

They don't have any problem whatsoever telling everyone what kind of underwear they should wear, why in the **** can't they tell their followers to wear a ******* piece of cloth over their face so we can try and avoid killing off all the high-risk folks? I"m pretty sure those same high-risk folks still pay tithing, we should try and keep them around as long as possible.

Just one tiny statement, and the "Relief Society Sisters" would pull out their sewing machines and crank out millions of masks for their friends and neighbors, and you would see TONS more folks in Utah wearing masks in public.

But no, the color of shirt that the male kids in their sales-force wears is much more important than human life.

[/EndRant] Nope, I'm not disappointed at all in their "leadership" during this entire thing. Can't ya tell?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:17 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:13 pm
They don't have any problem whatsoever telling everyone what kind of underwear they should wear, why in the **** can't they tell their followers to wear a ******* piece of cloth over their face so we can try and avoid killing off all the high-risk folks? I"m pretty sure those same high-risk folks still pay tithing, we should try and keep them around as long as possible.
Didn't you hear Bednar? Wearing a mask might impose on his religious freedom. Now... if he had thought of the mask idea before anyone else we'd all be wearing masks but since someone from the government recommended it, you gotta push back... out of spite or something.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:26 am

wtfluff wrote:
2bizE wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:01 pm

No, it's time for those useless old men in their ivory tower in downtown SLC to make a statement to their followers that the followers should pay attention to what public health officials are recommending.

Just one tiny statement, and the "Relief Society Sisters" would pull out their sewing machines and crank out millions of masks for their friends and neighbors, and you would see TONS more folks in Utah wearing masks in public.

But no, the color of shirt that the male kids in their sales-force wears is much more important than human life.

[/EndRant] Nope, I'm not disappointed at all in their "leadership" during this entire thing. Can't ya tell?
I have had this exact thought. If the prophet told the members to wear a mask. Problem solved. While we're soapboxing--which is just a more mild form of jello wrestling, I'll add a few "prophecies" of my own.

1. Having people return to work without taking Covid precautions will result in more employees taking sick leave which will cost strapped employers money.

a. There have been reports of people who get mild cases having lingering symptoms. Things like fatigue and brain fog (both of which could be
indicators of depleted oxygen).
b. When the second wave hits, will these people be immune or will these people who have already had it, but have lingering conditions
now probably be part of the immune compromised demographic?

2. People talk about death being the worst outcome. Personally, I think a moderate case with a lengthy hospital stay would be worse than death,
but that's just me.

a. I read this morning that a typical hospital stay is two weeks. I'm guessing that is going to be in the neighborhood of a six figure medical bill
and that's just the hospital. That's not counting:
i. prescription medication
ii. at-home oxygen, which is not covered by insurance
b. When a second wave hits, will these people be immune or will they be immune compromised?

3. Sure, the immune compromised can continue to shelter in place, but they're still going to be doing "wild and crazy" things like...

a. grocery shopping, picking up prescription medications, going to the doctor and/or dentist, going to the mechanic, the gas station and the
hardware store. It's my understanding all we immune compromised live in dwellings that have electricity, plumbing and appliances all of
which are going to require a repair person to enter our homes to repair and maintain them. Sorry to be so annoying and requiring the
inconvenience of others wearing a mask. In the meantime, we'll just...
b. not go to the hair dresser/barber, not go to movies, plays, concerts, museums. Not meet up with friends and go out to dinner. Not go to
bars. Not go to bookstores. Not take classes or go to seminars. Not go to clothing stores and shoe stores to try on our purchases, because
that really is the best way to ensure an item will work for us. Not spend as much money on clothing. Not travel.

4. The only way to open the economy as fully as possible is to open it up for as many people as possible.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:01 am

Two birds with one stone: impose a fast and require the wearing of a mask as virtue signalling to show that no food is going into righteous members' mouths.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:52 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:01 am
Two birds with one stone: impose a fast and require the wearing of a mask as virtue signalling to show that no food is going into righteous members' mouths.
Ha! Leave it to the Tapir-Rider to come up with the ultimate solution.

And up until the last couple of days, I've always hated "Virtue Signaling," but... Virtue Signaling for the greater good of humanity has actually changed my mind about the term. :mrgreen:

And... Full disclosure: There's a lot of pandemic frustration coming out in my original post. But... (Lots of BUTS for me lately.) I really have no doubt that a simple statement by the Q15 would make a HUGE difference in the Jello-Belt. We truly, really only have a few simple tools to fight this invisible enemy right now, and in my area, next-to no-one seems to care about those tools, and right now there's exponential growth in infections. Only time will tell if that leads to exponential growth in hospitalizations and deaths, I hope it doesn't. I truly do fear for my high-risk, aging relatives who have virtually no social life outside of LD$-Inc. activities. Those folks will truly not be able to stay away from those activities, and those activities have proven multiple times to be pretty much the highest risk of infection that there is.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:13 pm

I was recently commiserating with someone about the mask issue and sharing how I'd like to move to New Zealand (not just because of Covid, I think Ardern's great). The person's response surprised me. Instead of saying, "yeah, but...they're small...they're isolated..." whatever. They said, "I agree and if Americans can't come together on wearing a simple cloth mask, then there's no way we'll be able to come together on bigger issues like police brutality or equality".

So, I'm looking at the countries and states that are handling this better than others and considering a move in about two years.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:47 pm

From this day forward I vow to never rest until I have perfected a procedure for making corned ham.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:08 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:47 pm
From this day forward I vow to never rest until I have perfected a procedure for making corned ham.
That is precisely the type of cross-cultural-cooperation that will get us through this thing!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:58 am

Give It Time wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:08 pm
Hagoth wrote:
That is precisely the type of cross-cultural-cooperation that will get us through this thing!
That's hilarious. How did that get on this thread? That's the power of the curse of Ham for you.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:00 am

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:14 am

There's a 'DezNat' (alt-right LDS) guy on Twitter that my wife follows that had some charts that showed how the 2nd fast flattened the curve... he had it as his pinned tweet and I just noticed that at some point in the last few days that was unpinned. :lol:

The charts were amazing - I saved a screenshot on my phone, but if you ever want to understand how badly people can abuse charts/statistics, this dude does it.

He also says the rock in a hat is a hoax, BY never taught Adam was God, and that Joseph Smith got the facsimiles translated correctly, so you're not dealing with an honest person.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:59 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:58 am
Give It Time wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:08 pm
Hagoth wrote:
That's hilarious. How did that get on this thread? That's the power of the curse of Ham for you.
Actually, I think it was me. I was going through my replies and somehow responded on another thread on this one. Sometimes I have NOM open in two tabs so I can refer to something that I wrote or read earlier and I want to make sure I'm remembering it correctly. I could have had a different thread open when I was commenting on this one.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:28 pm

wtfluff wrote:
That's what my RS did. They made tons of masks for people in the ward and for healthcare workers in our area (Texas)

There is this one lady in my RS who constantly complains on FB about being shamed for not wearing a mask. :roll: And then all her other posts are about "all lives matter." Go figure... :roll:
wtfluff wrote:
Ugh Right?!? We are in the middle of an unprecedented global pandemic, racial injustice is boiling over and god wants to talk to rusty about blue shirts. WTF? Like at least PRETEND to try a little harder Q15.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:33 pm

nibbler wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:17 am
wtfluff wrote:
Didn't you hear Bednar? Wearing a mask might impose on his religious freedom. Now... if he had thought of the mask idea before anyone else we'd all be wearing masks but since someone from the government recommended it, you gotta push back... out of spite or something.
He's a cyborg though so he can't catch rona.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:35 pm

After all my yelling, screaming and whining about LD$-Inc. not saying much of anything about the pandemic, or encouraging folks to follow public health recommendations, it seems that Utah faith leaders got together and did what I was wishing for yesterday:

https://coronavirus.utah.gov/faith-lead ... coverings/

Elder Randy D. Funk – First Counselor, Utah Area Presidency, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints attached his name to that document, good for him.

There's also a video from 6/16/2020 with Elder Craig C. Christensen in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Now I just with LD$-Inc. would do a better job at advertising this stuff, I don't see many of my neighbors paying attention.

Maybe CEO Nelson could mention these types of things on his "Social Media" instead of posting fake photos of himself vacuuming?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:50 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:35 pm
....Maybe CEO Nelson could mention these types of things on his "Social Media" instead of posting fake photos of himself vacuuming?
I disagree that the Church has come out forcibly enough in support of masks. What is needed in the mind of the average, garden-variety Mormon is a church leader who is so anointed that he trumps Trump. It would take no one less than Nelson, himself, calling a virtual press conference and making a firm "thus saith the Lord" with appropriate scowlings at the camera, reminding the members he is a former doctor, threatening to take away temple recommends and threats of being consigned to outer darkness to get the members to wear masks. The fact that it would be a virtual press conference, there would still probably be 10% of Utah Mormons saying it was faked.