Undie Apocalypse

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
glass shelf

Re: Undie Apocalypse

Post by glass shelf » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:02 pm

A couple years ago, my newly exmo dad and my 5yo son were with me at Target. My son needed new undies. My dad's all "take your time. Everyone deserves the undies they like best." So many layers of meaning in the exmo world. :D

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:13 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:01 pm
Reuben wrote:
Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:08 pm

But then my dad could remember his parents wearing ankle-length garments. That was when they used to kneel for the sacrament prayer and raise both hands over their heads when they prayed.
What.

What??
Is this sorta along the lines of how they did prayer circles outside the temple at stake centers and stuff pre-1970s? Apparently members had prayer groups they belonged to? How does that stuff just get erased to time?
Prayer circles were discontinued outside of the "temple/endowment" as of May 3, 1978 according to Wikipedia. Documented in Sunstone Magazine here:

https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/wp-con ... 011-06.pdf

Edit: Another reference to May, 1978 in the "Encyclopedia of Mormonsim" Pages 705 and 706 in this link:

https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/c ... oM/id/4066

I've heard "rumors" of folks having an altar inside their own home and holding prayer circles. BYU studies has an article from D. Michael Quinn that mentions "private residences" so I guess if BYU studies says "it happened" then it did indeed happen. I only skimmed the article, anyone who wants to spend more than a few minutes, here it is:

https://byustudies.byu.edu/content/latt ... er-circles

[/endprayercircletheradjack]
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:05 am

Congrats Hagoth! I am sure it is nice to not a have a reminder of the Church's hold on you next to your skin 24/7.

Give it time, the Church eventually will get rid of garments for everyone. It may take a decade or two, but mandatory underwear is way too cultish in 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have a plan to phase them out.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:31 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:05 am
Give it time, the Church eventually will get rid of garments for everyone.
And they'll deny that it was ever a worthiness requirement to wear them or that you had to make promises to two levels of Priesthood hierarchy in one-on-one interviews that you wouldn't mow the lawn without them.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:36 pm

After wearing garments for 26 years and discovering the truth, I could wear a dirty dish towel down there and it would feel 'effing amazing!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:14 am

I just did the final deed. I couldn't figure out what to do with all of the old worn-out Gs in my drawer, so I stuffed them in a bag and shoved them waaaay back behind everything else on a dust-collection shelf. I assume from there they will eventually find their way back to Kolob from there.

As I was doing this I had this weird scenario played out in my head. An electrical problem causes my house to catch fire and burn to the ground. We come home to find the fire department sifting through the ashes. "There's only one thing we can't figure out," they tell us, "everything was completely burned except a bundle of undergarments that we found stuffed in an old garbage bag."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:29 am

Hagoth wrote:I just did the final deed. I couldn't figure out what to do with all of the old worn-out Gs in my drawer, so I stuffed them in a bag and shoved them waaaay back behind everything else on a dust-collection shelf. I assume from there they will eventually find their way back to Kolob from there.

As I was doing this I had this weird scenario played out in my head. An electrical problem causes my house to catch fire and burn to the ground. We come home to find the fire department sifting through the ashes. "There's only one thing we can't figure out," they tell us, "everything was completely burned except a bundle of undergarments that we found stuffed in an old garbage bag."
This is the way! Image