The temple endowment ceremony is changing.... again...

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Mormorrisey

Re: The temple endowment ceremony is changing.... again...

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:22 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:06 pm
Mormorrisey wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:30 pm
(As a side note, I was endowed during the penalty phase and saw the film with the preacher, so if anyone has questions, you can PM me.)
Me too. Remember these guys from the first film?
My only regret was that I came along too late to see the live session where the preacher actually led you in a song and everyone just kind of sang random hymns. Really.
Hilarious! Of course, I'm old enough to remember the Maytag man in his better days:
Attachments
img_4218.png
img_4218.png (94.99 KiB) Viewed 5837 times
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:05 pm

I met Gordon Jump when I was on my mission.
He asked where I was from and when I said Utah his response was "I'm sorry".

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:49 am

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:17 am
Meh... They're just going to start using SCHLOADS of hand sanitizer (all packaged up in neat white containers) and EVERYONE gets to veil (mask) their faced for the entire ceremony now. Maybe white rubber gloves too?
I am imagining that there will be a white face mask added to outfit. This will start to make everyone look like they are wearing a white burqa. I am one of the lucky individuals who can still go in the temple. I renewed my recommend in a boring, uneventful meeting earlier this month. I may try and ask my temple-worker father if he can provide any insight into the changes.

The various forums get excited every time something changes in the ceremony. But it always feels like a sad trombone conclusion when factual information finally reaches the apostate ends of discussion groups. This is the least likely circumstance when something interesting might happen. I prophesy that it's going to be hand sanitizer, gloves, masks, and physical distancing when sitting in the endowment room. There might be more (and literal) hand waving, but less physical contact. I await the grumbling of a certain segment of conservative believers.
Mormorrisey wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:22 pm
Hilarious! Of course, I'm old enough to remember the Maytag man in his better days:
Right, Mormorrisey. As God as my witness, I though turkeys could fly.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:57 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:05 pm
I met Gordon Jump when I was on my mission.
He asked where I was from and when I said Utah his response was "I'm sorry".
That's hilarious! Remember him in Singles Ward, that was pretty funny cameo.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:19 pm

Question, what exactly is sacred about the temple ceremony?
Was it the blood atonement?
Was it the slashing of throat and bowels penalties?
Was it the handshakes, which everyone knows were from the Freemasons?
If you take away the rites that are Masonic, then all that is left is the parts at the veil and the story found in Book of Moses...
Thoughts?
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:26 pm

2bizE wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:19 pm
If you take away the rites that are Masonic, then all that is left is the parts at the veil and the story found in Book of Moses...
Thoughts?
Well... If you go back to the original "Anointed Quorum" and the original invention of the "endowment..."

The "sacred" part was keeping Joseph and his buddies in the quorum's polygamy exploits SECRET.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:53 pm

2bizE wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:19 pm
Thoughts?
This is what I want to know.

Because the things I was told not to talk about were the signs and tokens... not about the movie or the creation story.

So what exactly is sacred that can't be spoken of, because I would like to speak more about the temple but hold off because I know my wife considers it sacred and about "much more than the masonic elements."

But without them, what is left?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:04 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:53 pm
The best answer for that, I think, can be found in the movies themselves. I remember hearing that in some countries the contents of the movies had to pass a review board. There is a part where Peter gives Adam some of the signs and tokens. We get to see the characters' faces but not what their hands are doing. So it is obviously the signs and handshakes, and maybe the specifics of the covenants made, that are the secrets. In the Mitt Romney era there was a lot of concern from some corners that the next potential US president had sworn an oath to give the church priority above everything else, and that he had sealed it with blood oath.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:59 pm

nibbler wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:05 pm
That was going to be my question. Which hymns did they sing? Was it a random hymn from the hymnal?
If I could Hi to Kolob for sure...
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:30 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:10 pm
Schools are starting to have liability waivers and their insurance won't cover COVID claims.

Will the temple also have waivers?

My dad works at SoJo but I doubt he would tell me.
They could just add a legal disclaimer on the back of the temple recommend.

This reminds me of the FAIR response to Free Masonry. Roughly paraphrasing from memory : Nobody who goes through the endowment comes out a mason, nonetheless no mason comes away from their ceremony endowed.

The church could add that disclaimer too.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:38 pm

It would be nice to just get rid of the temple ceremony altogether!!!!!!

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:55 pm

Mackman wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:38 pm
It would be nice to just get rid of the temple ceremony altogether!!!!!!
I used to think this way. But on further thought I found myself thinking they should just pull out the weird stuff.

Permanently remove the initiatory and the garments.

Remove the robes, sash, and hats. The whole costume can go.

Add back a comfortable white leisure suit.

Add in some comfy couches you can sit next to your spouse, parents, kids, friends etc.

Reduce the endowment to a simple narrative that summarizes eternal progression beginning with the creation of the world and ends with death on earth and the idea that after this life we move on to live with God and our friends and families in paradise in the afterlife.

Imagine this: you’re sitting in the comfy seat next to your loved ones, all dressed in comfort.

The lights dim, James Earl Jone’s voice comes over the speaker welcoming you to the temple. He introduces the endowment by saying “enjoy your life’s journey, please make the best of it by being kind, serving others, and laughing at life’s challenges. God loves you, please enjoy your temple worship today.”

The movie portion starts with the creation and resembles various scenes from Planet Earth. The focus is in the beauty of the earth and asks the patrons to promise to take care of the planet.

The second part of the endowment then shows a new born baby in the hospital being loved, cared for, and celebrated by a large group representing the various people in its life. The patrons are asked to take an oath of non-judgement and to realize that all of Gods children can be born under various circumstances such as to unwed mothers, gay fathers, in rich or poor circumstances. Reiterate the idea to not judge it to take an oath of care and responsibility for all.

The third part of the endowment will show various aspects of humans growing up learning to be kind, courteous, and cheerful for the benefit of humanity. Show reflections of life’s challenges pointing out that humans learn and grow through overcoming difficulties. End with old people near death surrounded by their friends, family, and loved ones iterating they have lived a happy full life and do not fear death. They lived up to their promise to be loving and kind and have no shame or guilt for not doing enough. Life was good.

The last part of the endowment then portrays death and returning to heaven being greeted by family, friends, and loved ones who are overly excited to meet again. No focus on Jesus, judgement, or missionary work. The camera captures the reunion of loved ones and maybe pans back for a brief moment to Godly Parents sitting on their throne with smiles of pure joy as they watch with the same natural excitement of overjoyed parents helping their child ride a bike for the first time without training wheels.

The endowment then ends with the lights coming on and the voice of Robin Williams telling patrons to live long and prosper! Nanoo Nanoo!

Patrons then walk out and change back into their street clothes and celebrate worshipping in the house of the Lord with a free cup of pudding from the temple cafeteria without the funny hat marks on their foreheads. :lol:

Consequently, temple attendance increases 300% in conjunction with Saturday ward building cleaning attendance. Kidding on the ward building cleaning, the church actually hires professional cleaners in this fantasy.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:06 pm

I love it RR, but without scary commitments and a scary Satan character promising to punish you for not living up to them nobody's going to plunk down 10% of their income.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:59 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:06 pm
I love it RR, but without scary commitments and a scary Satan character promising to punish you for not living up to them nobody's going to plunk down 10% of their income.
I find your lack of faith disturbing. /JamesEarlJones
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.