Temple time capsule opened 128 years later.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Temple time capsule opened 128 years later.

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:23 pm

https://www.ldsdaily.com/church-lds/sa ... LR1sOtn5yw

First presidency was watching in anticipation hoping they wouldn't pull out documents suggesting Joseph made it all up.

It would have been funny if they opened it up and pulled out the April 1892 issue of “Playboy” put there by a Deacon.

The ironic part is the time capsule was placed with a large gathering of 30,000 members commemorating the completion of the temple and a great moment in mormon history.

They never expected the capsule would be opened by a group of few wearing a mask and socially distant. That captures the sentiment of the moment and the decline in today’s church environment.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

deacon blues

Re: Temple time capsule opened 128 years later.

Post by deacon blues » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:26 pm

It looks like concrete was a bad choice for the time capsule. A lot of the material was greatly damaged. Too bad. :?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:32 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:23 pm
The ironic part is the time capsule was placed with a large gathering of 30,000 members commemorating the completion of the temple and a great moment in mormon history.

They never expected the capsule would be opened by a group of few wearing a mask and socially distant. That captures the sentiment of the moment and the decline in today’s church environment.
You wanna talk about decline? There are women in those photos, in the same room as cRusty and his side-kick henchmen, wearing pants!

The face-covering thing is a bit of a shock, but his highness allowing women to wear pants in his presence? Well, I never!!!

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:11 pm

Is Eyring asleep?

And what is with the guys in the window behind them?
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 pm

:lol:
Okay so when I read the part about the mosey they put in the time capsule, all I could think of was George Bluth, "There's always money in the Banana Stand." The ghost of BY appeared to GBH and he's like, "there's always money in the temple." :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:35 pm

You wanna talk about decline? There are women in those photos, in the same room as cRusty and his side-kick henchmen, wearing pants!

The face-covering thing is a bit of a shock, but his highness allowing women to wear pants in his presence? Well, I never!!!
That's one of the first things I noticed also- women in the room wearing pants. Social norms change very slowly in the church, but that is something that the first presidency cannot escape in Mormon life- more mixed groups with women wearing up to date clothing. - Wndr.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:45 am

Was there a white salamander in there?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:56 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:26 pm
It looks like concrete was a bad choice for the time capsule. A lot of the material was greatly damaged. Too bad. :?
If it had been preserved better they probably would have claimed a "miracle".
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:01 pm

DPRoberts wrote:
deacon blues wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:26 pm
If it had been preserved better they probably would have claimed a "miracle".
This reminds me of the time on my mission when the mission president had to correct the false notion being taught by the missionaries that the gold plates were preserved for so long because they were metal plates, but really the book of mormon says the preservation was a miracle of the Lord's doing rather than material durability. I guess we were trying to use logic in our young brains instead of the correct magical explanation.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:00 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:45 am
Was there a white salamander in there?
They tried to open the capsule every year on September 22 for the last several years but the salamander blocked every attempt. The quake must have killed the little guy.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:03 pm

Did they HAVE to open it or could they have just put it back once Moroni’s trumpet was glued back in place and they put him back atop Oz tower? To me it speaks to Rusty’s arrogance and self-importance that HE should be the HAIC (head a$$hole in charge) when the time capsule should be opened.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:35 am

w2mz wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:03 pm
Did they HAVE to open it or could they have just put it back once Moroni’s trumpet was glued back in place and they put him back atop Oz tower? To me it speaks to Rusty’s arrogance and self-importance that HE should be the HAIC (head a$$hole in charge) when the time capsule should be opened.
They probably had no idea it was full of stuff until the quake dropped Moroni’s trumpet which forced an inspection. Upon inspection they found cracks in the base and saw some shiny coins.

Seriously. Why wait for the reconstruction project to open it? Considering they like celebrations, you would have thought 125 years later was a nice round number.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg