Suit worship driving me crazy

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Suit worship driving me crazy

Post by Hagoth » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:56 am

Yesterday Mrs. Hagoth listened to Zoom church and I caught bits and pieces of it as I passed by while doing stuff.

It was about emergency preparedness and seemed to focus on specific tutorials like how to turn off your gas meter valve, how to turn off you water valve, what goes into a 72 hour kit, stuff like that. The jaw dropping thing was how frequently they referred to these mundane tasks in terms of fulfilling prophecy and expressing gratitude that we have a true and living prophet to reveal these things to us. It was batsh!t crazy. It would sound so red-flag-raisingly creepy to an outsider listening in. The meeting would take half as long if you just tell people the information without the requirement to turn it into Brethren worship.

But the real message of the meeting was only secondarily about being prepared fro a disaster. The important point seemed to be that you can't function on your own, like just reading a book or a website about this stuff, you are completely dependent on the correct version of the information coming down to you from God via the channel that has a proper stamp of approval. Otherwise you're pretty much doomed.

Also, there was a lot of talk about how those special few who trust God enough to show up at the in-person meetings are experiencing a special outpouring of the spirit that you less valiant Telestial-bound stay-at-homers can't even begin to comprehend. You need to get over it and come and stick some bread in your mouth that has been fondled by teenagers.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Suit worship driving me crazy

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:05 am

I often try to see things how an outsider sees them and it is an uncomfortable exercise. Speaking of business suits I once had a catholic friend visit a sacrament meeting long ago and the remark was "You guys in your suits make it seem like a business meeting". Early Cogdis seeds produced.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:10 am

The #1 purpose of the Church is to get you to do anything and everything the brethren tell you to do.
Brigham once said something like, "I am fearful they (the LDS) settle down in a state of blind self security. (in their leaders)
I don't think I've heard any general authority say anything like that in a long, long time. :(
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:00 pm

My nevermo friends are fascinated by Mormon prepper doctrines. I try to give them background to make things make sense and it is soooo crazy sounding.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:13 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:56 am
But the real message of the meeting was only secondarily about being prepared fro a disaster. The important point seemed to be that you can't function on your own, like just reading a book or a website about this stuff, you are completely dependent on the correct version of the information coming down to you from God via the channel that has a proper stamp of approval. Otherwise you're pretty much doomed.

Also, there was a lot of talk about how those special few who trust God enough to show up at the in-person meetings are experiencing a special outpouring of the spirit that you less valiant Telestial-bound stay-at-homers can't even begin to comprehend. You need to get over it and come and stick some bread in your mouth that has been fondled by teenagers.
Boy, the Church spends a lot of time convincing you that you need it. Once you figure out you don't, you're amazed they were ever able to convince you that you did.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:44 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:56 am
You need to get over it and come and stick some bread in your mouth that has been fondled by teenagers.
I always worried about what they fondled before fondling the bread.

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:22 am

Yea the suit worship drives me crazy !!!! Wait Jesus never wore a suit !!!! Yea all the prophet BS its a little like the Catholic church that says everyday people cannot interpret the scriptures like a priest can. I have decided its all Bullshit !!!