New handbook changes

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
FiveFingerMnemonic

New handbook changes

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:56 pm

Looks like some new changes. I no longer have to ask my regional sales manager bishop down the street if it's cool if I get a vasectomy apparently, although it's still discouraged.

Also if you're a young teen who has a kid out of wedlock you have the option to jump straight into Elders quorum or relief society.

http://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org ... 072420_CTA

Hagoth

Re: New handbook changes

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:37 am

This stuff seems so silly after you stop giving power to men in SLC to decide every little detail of your life. So damn silly and creepy.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:41 am

This has probably been in there for ages (for all I know) but I ran across this:
38.1.4 wrote:All members, even if they have never married or are without family in the Church, should strive for the ideal of living in an eternal family. This means preparing to be sealed as a worthy husband or wife and to become a loving father or mother. For some, these blessings will not be fulfilled until the next life, but the ultimate goal is the same for all.
Everyone has to get married. Same goal for all.These days I find that universeview so very limited and depressing.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:26 am

nibbler wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:41 am
This has probably been in there for ages (for all I know) but I ran across this:
38.1.4 wrote:All members, even if they have never married or are without family in the Church, should strive for the ideal of living in an eternal family. This means preparing to be sealed as a worthy husband or wife and to become a loving father or mother. For some, these blessings will not be fulfilled until the next life, but the ultimate goal is the same for all.
Everyone has to get married. Same goal for all.These days I find that universeview so very limited and depressing.
The other part of this is how it directly connects into D&C 132 and that women are absolutely going to be in polygamous marriages whether it happens here or after death.

As Joseph F Smith said, if you get to the CK and you're worthy but your husband is not, you'll be given to another. Those who never got married will be dumped off on a random, older guy like they're a young girl in a handcart company.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:29 am

Yeah, the section on sealings is very explicit on the point of polygamy still being in force. A man can be sealed to multiple women. A woman cannot be sealed to multiple men.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

hmb

Post by hmb » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:13 am

jfro18 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:26 am
nibbler wrote:
The other part of this is how it directly connects into D&C 132 and that women are absolutely going to be in polygamous marriages whether it happens here or after death.

As Joseph F Smith said, if you get to the CK and you're worthy but your husband is not, you'll be given to another. Those who never got married will be dumped off on a random, older guy like they're a young girl in a handcart company.
A good reason to make sure you are NOT worthy to hold a TR. Don't sustain the authority. Don't pay 10%. Ensure your place in a lower, party kingdom.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:36 pm

I noticed on another board that Scott Lloyd posted the changes were riddled with misspelled words and grammatical problems. Sounds like a sloppy, speedy change. Maybe they have outsourced this job to the missionaries.
~2bizE

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:17 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:56 pm
Looks like some new changes. I no longer have to ask my regional sales manager bishop down the street if it's cool if I get a vasectomy apparently, although it's still discouraged.

Also if you're a young teen who has a kid out of wedlock you have the option to jump straight into Elders quorum or relief society.

http://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org ... 072420_CTA
I think they used to make them go to RS. Now they can choose to stay with their peer group. It uses to be a really bad example to get pregnant as a teen nd then flaunt it around teenagers. Then at one point they said the teens could choose but teen parents babies could not go to YW, ever with their mothers.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:03 am

that children born to a surrogate mother can be sealed to parents in a temple only with First Presidency approval.
What is the rationale for this requirement?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:18 am

nibbler wrote:
In other words, come back into the fold and we'll try to fix your broken ass life so it fits in with the tribe again and you can become a full time tithe payer asap. Lock you in with your kids into the one true way, pour on the guilt about damnation if you don't raise them right.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:01 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:03 am
that children born to a surrogate mother can be sealed to parents in a temple only with First Presidency approval.
Right? I'm confused on that one too. And it's particularly sh!tty even for the HOI. They put all this pressure on women to become mothers and penalize women who need a surrogate? As if infertility isn't already a crappy enough thing to deal with. The church is gonna step in and put more pain and frustration to an already sensitive situation. situation. What the hell?
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:04 am

MoPag wrote:
moksha wrote:
Right? I'm confused on that one too. And it's particularly sh!tty even for the HOI. They put all this pressure on women to become mothers and penalize women who need a surrogate? As if infertility isn't already a crappy enough thing to deal with. The church is gonna step in and put more pain and frustration to an already sensitive situation. situation. What the hell?
My wife and I watched a fascinating documentary on netflix that included the concept of 3 parent genetic mixing for the treatment of infertility. Imagine how they work that out in regards to heavenly ancestry and sealings and such.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:09 am

MoPag wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:01 am
moksha wrote:
Right? I'm confused on that one too. And it's particularly sh!tty even for the HOI. They put all this pressure on women to become mothers and penalize women who need a surrogate? As if infertility isn't already a crappy enough thing to deal with. The church is gonna step in and put more pain and frustration to an already sensitive situation. What the hell?
Putting my First Presidency Suit and middle initial on here: I think they need to verify that the surrogate mother wasn’t a lesbian inseminated by a gay man.

I know someone who has been a surrogate for a friend of hers two times now. When I asked her about concerns with church leaders she respectfully said it was “none of their business!”
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:30 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:04 am
My wife and I watched a fascinating documentary on netflix that included the concept of 3 parent genetic mixing for the treatment of infertility. Imagine how they work that out in regards to heavenly ancestry and sealings and such.
Interesting... And that wouldn't fit very neatly into the Fam Proc either.
Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:09 am
Putting my First Presidency Suit and middle initial on here: I think they need to verify that the surrogate mother wasn’t a lesbian inseminated by a gay man.

I know someone who has been a surrogate for a friend of hers two times now. When I asked her about concerns with church leaders she respectfully said it was “none of their business!”
Good for her.
This whole thing hits close to home for my family. My SIL really struggled with infertility. She's super TBM. She came from a big family and wanted a big family. They considered surrogacy for a while, but then she eventually was able to have a baby. This stupid rule would have hurt her. It would make her feel like even more of a failure.

There are so many women who are going to be hurt by this. The HOI is such bullsh!t. And the men who write it are creeps.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:14 pm

MoPag wrote:
moksha wrote:
They wouldn’t want the husband naturally inseminating the surrogate, so they have to get involved.
~2bizE

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:07 pm

2bizE wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:14 pm
MoPag wrote:
moksha wrote:

They wouldn’t want the husband naturally inseminating the surrogate, so they have to get involved.
Could be.

In general, just like with the crappy old vasectomy rule, church leaders just can't let go of the members' genitals. Gotta give those to God so you don't do anything dumb with them, but since he's not here, turn them over to the Q15.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.