Coffee question

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Hagoth

Coffee question

Post by Hagoth » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:44 am

Question for you self-made baristas: I make my coffee with a french press. It seems to be significantly less caffeinated than the stuff I typically find in coffee shops. It also seems to have a milder flavor. Is the commercially brewed brew stronger than what you get from steeping grounds in hot water?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

alas

Re: Coffee question

Post by alas » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:42 pm

I am interested in this also, not that I drink the commercially prepared kind, but because I have heard things like cold brew doesn’t give you as much caffeine or the coffee press gives you more, or dark roasted gives you more, or even that different brands of coffee contain different amounts and I would like to know truth from rumor. Or is it psychological in that when the coffee is strong flavored (as in dark roast) and bitter, people think they are getting more Kick from it

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:06 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:44 am
Question for you self-made baristas: I make my coffee with a french press. It seems to be significantly less caffeinated than the stuff I typically find in coffee shops. It also seems to have a milder flavor. Is the commercially brewed brew stronger than what you get from steeping grounds in hot water?
The first question I would ask is: When you buy from a "shop," are you getting brewed coffee, or some sort of espresso drink?

If you're getting "brewed" coffee, then it will likely be "milder" compared to your french press, as it steeps through a paper filter, where with the french press, your "filter" (the french press screen) has much bigger "openings," and thus more room for more oils and lots of other stuff to end up in your cup. (Including that thin layer of "sludge" at the bottom when you're done. :mrgreen: )

After that, there are many different variables when you use a french press: The "size" of the grind. The ratio of grounds to water. The temperature of the water. The amount of time you let the grounds steep, etc. I'm guessing that any/all/some of those could have an effect on the amount of caffeine that ends up in the cup?

(I just got un-lazy and a .5 second Google search says the amount of caffeine is dependent on the amount of time the grounds steep. That was the first hit, and I didn't dig any deeper...)

alas wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:42 pm
I am interested in this also, not that I drink the commercially prepared kind, but because I have heard things like cold brew doesn’t give you as much caffeine or the coffee press gives you more, or dark roasted gives you more, or even that different brands of coffee contain different amounts and I would like to know truth from rumor. Or is it psychological in that when the coffee is strong flavored (as in dark roast) and bitter, people think they are getting more Kick from it
The only thing I can tell you as far as caffeine is: Lighter roasted beans/grounds have more caffeine by weight than darker roasts. So unless you are actually using a scale to measure your beans/grounds, as opposed to just adding a "scoop" (measuring by volume) then the difference in caffeine between a dark or light roast will be negligible. (This is according to Gene, who runs "The Bean Yard" coffee shop in Sandy UT.)

As far as the difference in caffeine levels between a cup of brewed (paper filter) vs a press, who knows. As mentioned above, the press usually gives you a stronger/bolder cup, and my quick Google search says that steep time determines caffeine amount.

Of note: Lots of folks think that espresso has more caffeine that "regular" brewed coffee. To quote kickinghorsecoffee.com: "One 2 oz double espresso shot has about 80 milligrams of caffeine. Whereas a 12 oz brewed coffee has about 120 milligrams. So actually there is more caffeine in an average cup of drip coffee than in espresso"
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:07 am

The roasting process lessens the caffeine in the final product. Light roasts would have the most caffeine and dark roasts (French and Italian) have less caffeine. This is not as dramatic as cooking with wine, which causes the alcohol to evaporate, leaving only the wine taste from the other organic ingredients behind.

Oh, one other thing. Never serve a Mormon vodka sauce on her pasta after midnight.

(This is according to Gene, who runs "The Bean Yard" coffee shop in Sandy UT.)
Coffee shop people are a great source of information. I remember listening intently to the owner of The Coffee Club back in the 90's about the varieties of coffee. I liked trying all the types he would get in, but Kona was my favorite. Once your taste buds become jaded from coffee and curry, you might try one of the Robusta varieties rather than the smoother Arabica. I think Vietnam is the leader in the Robusta coffee production. That is about all I can remember besides that vodka sauce wisdom.

BTW, for those of you with bucks in your pockets, you can pick up some Kona coffee from The Coffee Club in Taylorsville or order it off their website.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:15 am

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:06 pm
When you buy from a "shop," are you getting brewed coffee, or some sort of espresso drink?
Both, and I'm really surprised to hear that espresso has less caffeine. Another thing I realized is that the small french press that I use most days only makes 8 ounces, but when I fork over way too much money at a shop I typically get 12 or 16 oz.

One of my kids is a bit of a tea and coffee snob who scowls at my bag of Dunkin Donuts grounds. I suspect that if I could get him to taste it he would have to grudgingly admit that it's pretty dang tasty compared to a lot of choices out there. I splurged and mail-ordered some really expensive organic stuff that got high ratings internet and I found it pretty much undrinkable. But that's me just taking shots in the dark.

Thanks for the info about light/dark roasts Moksha. Makes sense.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:47 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:15 am
I splurged and mail-ordered some really expensive organic stuff that got high ratings internet and I found it pretty much undrinkable. But that's me just taking shots in the dark.
If you want to try different varieties without breaking the bank, Star Mountain Roasters in West Valley just off of the 21st south "freeway" is the most affordable local roaster I have found. They'll sell to you at wholesale if you visit them at the Roastery, you just have to pay with cash. Not as cheap as bottom shelf beans from the grocery store, but not as expensive as other fresh roasted locally, or expensive organic internet undrinkable.

I do notice a difference between fresh, roasted locally, and the stuff from the grocery store that's been sitting for who knows how long. YMMV
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

alas

Post by alas » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:52 pm

Thanks for the information. So, I just don’t believe people who try to convince me dark roast is better because it has more “kick” as in caffeine. I suspected they were just going by psychological “the darker the stronger” idea and didn’t really know what they were talking about. I drink the lighter stuff because I don’t like the burned taste.

As far as a paper filter, I tried them and they filter out the oils and that leaves more of a bitter taste. Oil being why people add cream to hide the bitter taste. So, I accept the sludge at the bottom of the cup that comes through the wire filter.

Mostly I use a pour over type coffee maker, but on a trip camping we had no electricity so I tried an old fashioned coffee pot that really percolates. It was good. Better than the drip, or maybe it was the fresh mountain air. Of course I am still putting in 1/2 the recommended amount of grounds, so still making it weak. I’m still trying to figure out WHAT is different in the flavor with real percolated.

Mostly in the heat this summer, After I have my “medicinal dose, I am drinking weak weak coffee over lots of ice and it is barely colored water

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:44 am

With few exceptions, the only coffee I've had came from French presses (because Europe). I've never had the sludge at the bottom, though. Is it because they've all been lattes, cappuccinos and mochas? Does milk suspend the oils better than water?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:13 am

Reuben wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:44 am
With few exceptions, the only coffee I've had came from French presses (because Europe). I've never had the sludge at the bottom, though. Is it because they've all been lattes, cappuccinos and mochas? Does milk suspend the oils better than water?
The sludge at the bottom isn't oils, it's grounds that sneak through the "filter."

If you're getting a lattes, etc. made with a french press, I'd imagine they are not pouring the entire contents of the press into the cup, so the "thicker" brew at the "bottom" of the press isn't getting into your cup.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:40 am

This morning I ground fresh espresso beans and brewed some Americano. Ooh baby.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm

I drink filtered dark roast coffee with a splash of almond milk, using freshly ground beans. Seems to be pretty consistent.

One thing to consider is that unfiltered coffee has some health detriment compared to filtered.

alas

Post by alas » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:02 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm
I drink filtered dark roast coffee with a splash of almond milk, using freshly ground beans. Seems to be pretty consistent.

One thing to consider is that unfiltered coffee has some health detriment compared to filtered.
I do not filter mine because it tastes more bitter without the oils the filter filters out, along with the sludge. So, I am wondering what it is about the essential oils that someone thinks is detrimental to health.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:30 pm

alas wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:02 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm

I do not filter mine because it tastes more bitter without the oils the filter filters out, along with the sludge. So, I am wondering what it is about the essential oils that someone thinks is detrimental to health.
Increases cholesterol

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6242467/ns/he ... l%2C%20too.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:54 pm

In my experience, there are thousands of opinions on coffee out there and they all suck. Ignore them and go with what you like. There are far too many coffee snobs out there that are more interested in pushing their particular views than actually making a good cup 'o joe.

For french press, if you are getting stuff in the bottom of your cup, either you don't have a good seal in your press or you are using too fine of grounds. If you grind your own, then you want them somewhat coarser than normal drip coffee. Espresso you want a fairly fine grind compared to drip.

I use a pretty basic, Target special french press and have pretty good luck. That being said, I can't tell much difference between French press and drip in taste.

On a different note, a french press is a great starter setup to make cold brew coffee. I really like cold brew. Much less bitter and better flavor than drip and goes great on a hot morning.

I tend to prefer the taste of a lighter roast coffee. Dark roast tends to overpower the other flavors with bitter. Light get more of the flavors you actually enjoy.

If you want to try new stuff for cheap, look at your local TJ Maxx. They usually have variety of discounted coffee grinds and syrups and they always have something new. I regularly get try some new brands from there. I am also partial to Base Camp Coffee Co. They are a local roaster that I really like.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

hmb

Post by hmb » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:12 am

I prefer a Folgers-like coffee. I like the most boring, non flavored coffee with some half and half, and a little sweetener. I've tried some of the "fancy" stuff and I don't like it. If I'm out and about (which is almost never), and stop at Starbucks, I get blonde roast. It's not so bitter. The less roasted the coffee, the more the caffeine kick, so I'm told. Less "cooking" of the bean. Who knows? Probably a hoax :lol: . I like my boring, hot coffee and it aids with the splashdown phase of digestion.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:53 am

hmb wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:12 am
I prefer a Folgers-like coffee. I like the most boring, non flavored coffee with some half and half, and a little sweetener. I've tried some of the "fancy" stuff and I don't like it. If I'm out and about (which is almost never), and stop at Starbucks, I get blonde roast. It's not so bitter. The less roasted the coffee, the more the caffeine kick, so I'm told. Less "cooking" of the bean. Who knows? Probably a hoax :lol: . I like my boring, hot coffee and it aids with the splashdown phase of digestion.
Starbucks also has a decent drip coffee, which is my go to if I dont want a sugary espresso drink.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:06 pm

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha