Weird discrepency

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Weird discrepency

Post by Hagoth » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:48 am

I got an email from the church. The description in my inbox says, "Whether you struggle with the loss of a loved one, same-sex attraction, fear, or another personal trial, getting closer to Christ can empower you to overcome the hardships of life."

But when I open the email the body text says, "Whether you experience the loss of a loved one, aging, fear, or anxiety, as you come closer to Christ, He can empower you to overcome the hardships of life.

Weird. I wonder why the discrepancy.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

lostinmiddlemormonism

Re: Weird discrepency

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:04 pm

One was translated with the Urim and Thummim and the other with a rock in a hat.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:31 pm

Maybe one of the departments in charge of vetting all communications saw one of the references, said, "That's not a good look," and forgot to update the text in both places it appeared.

I wonder which one they felt wan't a good look.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:51 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:48 am
I got an email from the church. The description in my inbox says, "Whether you struggle with the loss of a loved one, same-sex attraction, fear, or another personal trial, getting closer to Christ can empower you to overcome the hardships of life."

But when I open the email the body text says, "Whether you experience the loss of a loved one, aging, fear, or anxiety, as you come closer to Christ, He can empower you to overcome the hardships of life.

Weird. I wonder why the discrepancy.
Can you post a screenshot? That's definitely a big "whoops" for the church trying to look cool and mainstream...

edit: Nevermind it's at Reddit... white Jesus is right above the text. Yikes.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:19 pm

According to facebook, if you're below a certain age they emailed you about same-sex attraction being a struggle and if you were over a certain age, they used aging instead.

Apparently people stop having same-sex attraction at a certain age. Who knew?

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:46 am

jfro18 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:19 pm
According to facebook, if you're below a certain age they emailed you about same-sex attraction being a struggle and if you were over a certain age, they used aging instead.

Apparently people stop having same-sex attraction at a certain age. Who knew?
I wonder which version of this message that Tom Christofferson received?

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:17 pm

Hagoth,

You gotta repent of being old.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin