LDS Church proposes new community near future Tooele Valley Temple

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
wtfluff

Re: LDS Church proposes new community near future Tooele Valley Temple

Post by wtfluff » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:11 pm

COJCOLd$-Inc. withdraws community/rezoning plans:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50007804/la ... -community
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:27 pm

After it was reported by Fox News that Stake Presidents we’re trying to place unnecessary influence on the members, I’m happy the church did the right thing.
~2bizE

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:16 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:11 pm

And instead they want to annex the temple lot area into Tooele, instead of rezoning Erda. More than one way to skin a cat.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:16 pm
wtfluff wrote:

And instead they want to annex the temple lot area into Tooele, instead of rezoning Erda. More than one way to skin a cat.
So the part about avoiding discord in the community was just a lie by the FP?
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:28 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
wtfluff wrote:

Interesting. Is there any publicly available documentation regarding said annexation?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:53 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:28 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
wtfluff wrote:

Interesting. Is there any publicly available documentation regarding said annexation?
Petition to annex is mentioned at the end of this:
https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/8/14 ... day-saints

My friends in Erda have maps on their private walls and a screen shot from Tooelecity.org, I haven't been able to find the exact page they capped.

Contact who is an elected official told me off record the vote will be likely slipped in quietly in Sept.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:15 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:53 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:28 pm
Thoughtful wrote:

Petition to annex is mentioned at the end of this:
https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/8/14 ... day-saints

My friends in Erda have maps on their private walls and a screen shot from Tooelecity.org, I haven't been able to find the exact page they capped.

Contact who is an elected official told me off record the vote will be likely slipped in quietly in Sept.
Gotta love the last two paragraphs

“For example, a petition has been filed to annex 1,100 acres of unincorporated Erda into Tooele City. Those acres including the 167-acre temple and neighborhood property.

Brent Bateman, an attorney for Durham Jones and Pinegar, said he filed the petition for annexation on behalf of his clients. The church is not involved in any effort to annex the land.“
~2bizE

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:35 am

Brent Bateman, an attorney for Durham Jones and Pinegar, said he filed the petition for annexation on behalf of his clients. The church is not involved in any effort to annex the land.“
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Is this an example of "lying for the Lord" ?

Really unbelievable :roll: :roll: Or, maybe the lack of ethics is completely believable. :roll:

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:29 am

Wonderment wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:35 am
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Is this an example of "lying for the Lord" ?

Really unbelievable :roll: :roll: Or, maybe the lack of ethics is completely believable. :roll:
I have no problem believing it wasn't a directive from Salt Lake. But was it presented and approved? I would like to know if lawyer filing the petition like this without their client's consent is likely or typical.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:40 pm

https://www.ksl.com/article/50090598/la ... -in-tooele

Seems to be the pattern of DMC: dense housing around new temples, at least here behind the Zion curtain. My TBM BIL was fighting with the sub-division developer over in Lindon. They were told the lots behind them would be single family homes like theirs. But when they broke ground he found out they were doing town homes and high density housing. He would have 4-6 apartment windows looking down into his backyard. My BIL managed to keep fighting with the developer to get a single family homes directly behind them, but it took a couple of years and lots of meetings with him calling out the failed promises. My TBM BIL says that DMC is a terrible entity to work with and simply supports the interests of all those legislators and political leaders on capital hill that have their hands in development and construction companies. Then he said "But DMC is not The Church." It's painful to see him do the mental gymnastics to try and compartmentalize those things and lesson his cogdis. Sorry bro, TSCC is absolutely about land/$$$, that is the current underlying foundation it's built on; all the religion part of it is just the not-so-great wizard of oz blowing lots of smoke and fire...sometimes brimstone.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:49 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:40 pm
https://www.ksl.com/article/50090598/la ... -in-tooele

Seems to be the pattern of DMC: dense housing around new temples, at least here behind the Zion curtain. My TBM BIL was fighting with the sub-division developer over in Lindon. They were told the lots behind them would be single family homes like theirs. But when they broke ground he found out they were doing town homes and high density housing. He would have 4-6 apartment windows looking down into his backyard. My BIL managed to keep fighting with the developer to get a single family homes directly behind them, but it took a couple of years and lots of meetings with him calling out the failed promises. My TBM BIL says that DMC is a terrible entity to work with and simply supports the interests of all those legislators and political leaders on capital hill that have their hands in development and construction companies. Then he said "But DMC is not The Church." It's painful to see him do the mental gymnastics to try and compartmentalize those things and lesson his cogdis. Sorry bro, TSCC is absolutely about land/$$$, that is the current underlying foundation it's built on; all the religion part of it is just the not-so-great wizard of oz blowing lots of smoke and fire...sometimes brimstone.
Now that they've moved the temple location... What happens to the businesses LDS-Inc./DMC already forced to close in Erda?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:12 am

The comments after that article are hilarious. A mixture of “We thank thee o god for a prophet who likes to build temples....” to

Archerious · 10 hours ago
Went from a 10 minute drive to a 5 minute walk for us. The increase in my property value is an added bonus. So, thank you people of Erda, we're eternally grateful.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:55 am

The Temple was being built in Erda to boost housing development sales. Once the housing development was off the table, there was no sense building the Temple in a pasture. Build it in Tooele and they will come. Afterward Temple goers can nourish and strengthen their bodies at Popeyes' Louisiana Kitchen.

Making money since 1830.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:27 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:55 am
The Temple was being built in Erda to boost housing development sales. Once the housing development was off the table, there was no sense building the Temple in a pasture. Build it in Tooele and they will come. Afterward Temple goers can nourish and strengthen their bodies at Popeyes' Louisiana Kitchen.

Making money since 1830.
Meanwhile, Virgs will be gone anyway.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:13 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:27 pm
Excellent "Corner-Dive" Fish & Chips, and Giant Hamburgers gone from the Toole valley... Forever? :cry:

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:46 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:13 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Excellent "Corner-Dive" Fish & Chips, and Giant Hamburgers gone from the Toole valley... Forever? :cry:
Does anyone remember when Virg's was a fish and chips shop across from the Salt Lake County Complex on 21st South? What about the Sunshine Japanese Cafe a block further south? I really miss that place.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:49 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:46 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:13 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Does anyone remember when Virg's was a fish and chips shop across from the Salt Lake County Complex on 21st South? What about the Sunshine Japanese Cafe a block further south? I really miss that place.
Oh man, the Virg's near the SL County Complex was the absolute Holiest™ of all Hole-In-The-Wall restaurants.

I never visited the Erda location, but it will forever be "similar" in my mind to the "orignal?" ~21st south SLC location.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander