Temple changes

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
no1saint

Temple changes

Post by no1saint » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:00 am

Does anyone know what alterations were made to the endowment recently?

Corsair

Re: Temple changes

Post by Corsair » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:32 am

I have not been to the temple yet. There simply are very few open for anyone with a valid temple recommend to check out. My father is a temple recorder and he has not seen details on the new changes either. I asked him about it and he could not tell me any details because he had honestly not seen them yet either. He openly told me that new ceremony changes are as much a surprise for temple staff as they are for patrons.

At the start of 2019, my father only found out about the new ceremony the morning that it was released to the temple. The temple president had a few more days notification, but he saw the new movie along with patrons the day it was released.

As the holder of a "valid" temple recommend, I will happily provide details once I get the chance to see the new ceremony. I truly do not know when that will happen. What we really need is some closet apostate parent going to the temple with a newly called missionary child. There is tiny, non-zero chance that this will be me within the next year.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:20 pm

no1saint wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:00 am
Does anyone know what alterations were made to the endowment recently?
EVERYONE has to veil (mask) their faces the entire time they are in the gaudy buildings.

:P
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:43 pm

From what I understand a new addition to the garment will be added. Because God is a God of plagues and curses, a face mask will now be worn at all times except while showering. It will have the mark of the smile 😊 on the mask, which meaning can only be found at the veil. Those who are general authorities will also wear a face mask, but to distinguish them as GAs, rather than normal members, their masks will have the sign of the Mormon God: $. This will also help deacons know which white guy to pass the sacrament to first in the event a GA visits another ward.
~2bizE

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:39 am

I have heard rumor from a bishopric acquaintance that in the new version only the witness couple receive the tokens. I wonder if anything changes at the veil.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:45 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:39 am
I have heard rumor from a bishopric acquaintance that in the new version only the witness couple receive the tokens. I wonder if anything changes at the veil.
Honestly, that sounds like a boring, common sense change that would surprise virtually no one. This sounds likely

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:50 pm

Corsair wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:45 am
Honestly, that sounds like a boring, common sense change that would surprise virtually no one. This sounds likely
After some thought, I’ve wondered if this might be part of a long-term strategy to gradually reduce Masonic content in the endowment. A lot has already been removed and pulling the tokens out from group participation would be one more step. We’ve already seen the penalties change and then be removed entirely - along with the five points of fellowship.

I know that learning about the overwhelming similarities between the endowment and Masonic ritual was a huge crack in my belief system during my mission in the late 1980s. The less similar they appear, the less shocking the connection might seem to young initiates, and the easier it would be to swallow the idea that Masonry simply acted as a prompt toward inspired restoration.

Getting rid of garment marks would be tougher - but not impossible.

Just a thought.
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:00 am

That makes sense. The parts where there is a high risk of transmission would be with the tokens, the prayer circle and at the veil.

I wonder what that would leave? A streamlined endowment?

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:49 am

no1saint wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:00 am
Seating participants on a conveyor belt would be a novel idea, but there would have to extensive retrofitting of the Temples.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:51 am

That makes me wonder whether this round of changes is intended to be temporary. Like they'd roll the changes back after things settle.

I see ITT that there's also an opinion that the change may be permanent, that it's a part of a longer series of changes to phase out masonic elements of the ceremony. If they did that, how might the interaction at the veil change?
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:11 am

nibbler wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:51 am
That makes me wonder whether this round of changes is intended to be temporary. Like they'd roll the changes back after things settle.

I see ITT that there's also an opinion that the change may be permanent, that it's a part of a longer series of changes to phase out masonic elements of the ceremony. If they did that, how might the interaction at the veil change?
“Brothers and sisters, you’ve been instructed this fine day, please knock 3 times with the mallot, whisper your new name and testimony to the watchman at the veil, beg for entrance to be with god and your family for eternity, then enter when granted! See you next week!”
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:20 am

no1saint wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:00 am
That makes sense. The parts where there is a high risk of transmission would be with the tokens, the prayer circle and at the veil.

ditto.

I can see this change as a way to stream-line and speed the thing up even further. Back in the day when I was slitting my own...<humh>...well, I remember when the men were asked to stand. It made absolute sense because the old geezers were generally asleep at that time.

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:31 pm

How will this affect initiatories? The space used is super confined and having 3 people in there makes it crowded. I wonder if you really need the different stages to go into each cubicle. You could just have one big space now.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:00 pm

no1saint wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:31 pm
How will this affect initiatories? The space used is super confined and having 3 people in there makes it crowded. I wonder if you really need the different stages to go into each cubicle. You could just have one big space now.
I would love to hear about the discussions in March and April planning for whatever they end up doing. The cynical part of me imagines that they would possibly have been better off catering to the pandemic skeptics among the church and just keep doing temple worship. It certainly would have demonstrated serious faith as well as been an excellent test of priesthood power. BYU did cancel classes in 1918, but my great-grandparents did still continue attending church.

misterfake371

Post by misterfake371 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:28 pm

[/quote]

Just a thought.
[/quote]

The LDS leadership can change nearly anything they want. The Church is anti-historical. The members will accept nearly any change and say it's inspired and an example of continuing revelation. They could get rid of garments altogether, they could perform gay marriages in the temples, and they could remove the Book of Abraham from the LDS canon. It's amazing how much power they have over so many people.
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:13 am

misterfake371 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:28 pm

Just a thought.
[/quote]

The LDS leadership can change nearly anything they want. The Church is anti-historical. The members will accept nearly any change and say it's inspired and an example of continuing revelation. They could get rid of garments altogether, they could perform gay marriages in the temples, and they could remove the Book of Abraham from the LDS canon. It's amazing how much power they have over so many people.
[/quote]

Truth!

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:32 am

Looks like the church sent an email announcing that folks can submit names for the temple prayer rolls online. Before you get excited about submitting Boaty McBoatface, you have to log into your church account first.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:40 pm

Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:32 am
Looks like the church sent an email announcing that folks can submit names for the temple prayer rolls online. Before you get excited about submitting Boaty McBoatface, you have to log into your church account first.
So you're saying that someone will actually review the names before they get put in the Magick Hankie Box™?

Do you think someone reviews the current, hand-written names?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:33 pm

From Reddit:

I know many have asked about the recent changes to the endowment announced by the First Presidency last month. Here are the modifications I can remember from taking my son through the temple for his mission this week:

- Up to 16 people per session, but you must be part of a single group (no combining of smaller groups).
- Only eight temple workers (four male, four female) plus the temple presidency and wives are in the temple at one time.
- Masks are required, though temple workers don't seem to understand social distancing (maybe they were hard of hearing?).
- Hand sanitizer is available throughout the ordinance rooms and other areas of the temple, but we were not compelled to use it, only offered.
- No changes to the initiatory, except that a single person both "washes" and anoints. A second person is present only as a witness.
- In the endowment room, only one male officiator and one female temple worker are present.
- A disclaimer from the First Presidency is given at the beginning of the endowment, similar but shorter (I think) than the previous one, and indicates that changes to the endowment do not change the fundamental doctrines of the temple.
- Slideshow is nearly identical (see next point).
- Tokens are shown on a slide during the presentation before each moment that one is to be given. The witness couple receives tokens from the officiator, but no one else in the room receives them. An explanation is given that the witness couple acts for each person in the session, and all are to consider themselves as having received them.
- Sanitizer at the witness couple's seat is available after receiving each token.
- The true order of prayer is conducted as normal, with no change (I sanitized afterward).
- Veil procedure is the same, except for using hand sanitizer both before and after.
- Temple workers are with you (within 10 feet or so) the entire time, including in the celestial room, which makes it difficult to have private moments with your spouse or family.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:44 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:33 pm
From Reddit:

I know many have asked about the recent changes to the endowment announced by the First Presidency last month. Here are the modifications I can remember from taking my son through the temple for his mission this week:

- Up to 16 people per session, but you must be part of a single group (no combining of smaller groups).
- Only eight temple workers (four male, four female) plus the temple presidency and wives are in the temple at one time.
- Masks are required, though temple workers don't seem to understand social distancing (maybe they were hard of hearing?).
- Hand sanitizer is available throughout the ordinance rooms and other areas of the temple, but we were not compelled to use it, only offered.
- No changes to the initiatory, except that a single person both "washes" and anoints. A second person is present only as a witness.
- In the endowment room, only one male officiator and one female temple worker are present.
- A disclaimer from the First Presidency is given at the beginning of the endowment, similar but shorter (I think) than the previous one, and indicates that changes to the endowment do not change the fundamental doctrines of the temple.
- Slideshow is nearly identical (see next point).
- Tokens are shown on a slide during the presentation before each moment that one is to be given. The witness couple receives tokens from the officiator, but no one else in the room receives them. An explanation is given that the witness couple acts for each person in the session, and all are to consider themselves as having received them.
- Sanitizer at the witness couple's seat is available after receiving each token.
- The true order of prayer is conducted as normal, with no change (I sanitized afterward).
- Veil procedure is the same, except for using hand sanitizer both before and after.
- Temple workers are with you (within 10 feet or so) the entire time, including in the celestial room, which makes it difficult to have private moments with your spouse or family.
This lines up with the rumours I've heard about, but we are still at phase 1 in my area, so I'm a long, long way from seeing this in person. But this all makes sense, and not having to pass the tokens around will save some time. So as was expected, not earth shattering developments.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."