Open Letter to Kerry Muhlestein, Mormon Egyptologist

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Apologeticsislying

Open Letter to Kerry Muhlestein, Mormon Egyptologist

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:48 pm

Dear Kerry,
So, we received word that you want to dialogue, and that, perhaps, you are being misunderstood, and improperly maligned with John Gee, your fellow Mormon Egyptologist apologist. You ask that agendas be put aside and lets just see the evidence. Well that sounds like a noble endeavor to us, without question, especially concerning the papyri, the Pearl of Great Price, and Joseph Smith's translations.
I'm not, however, at all sure you grasp what it is you are asking for. Perhaps a little background on us may give you some guidance on how to approach this is in order.
We are not the starry-eyed innocent Mormon youth of BYU-Hawaii, or BYU-Idaho to whom you peddle your wares in order to please the Brethren to whom you are employed. We already know you have pre-ordained conclusions you must arrive at in order to continue getting paid, and it appears to us you are twisting the facts, and cherry picking the evidence in order to show Joseph Smith was correct in his interpretations of egyptological materials. We are happy to be wrong, provided we are shown with good evidence. Evidence is what matters in issues such as these, evidence with full and valid proper context, at least to us.
We feel we have been deceived in so many ways and with so many matters after having given decades of our life's blood, time, talents, and money and efforts and we are probably still feeling raw and cheated, so we aren't probably going to genuflect for you and ask for an autograph. We will be rigorous and vigorous with critical thinking, analysis, comparison, calculation, probability, and historical, doctrinal, and philosophical investigation of what you claim is the truth with the Joseph Smith Papyri and Book of Abraham.
There are scientists, historians, theologians, atheists, sociologists, former Mormon apologists, former Mormon scholars, historians, mathematicians, non-Mormons, Christians, Jews, apostates, college professors, and every kind and stripe of people in which we all have ONE thing in common - Mormonism has deceived us, and pays its scholars to do the same. We are not testimony totin youth singing I hope they call me on a mission. We are angry (it waxes and wanes), disturbed, amused, and appalled by what you Mormon scholars/historians claim. We have been around the block. Your normal methods won't work here with us.
Dialoguing with us would be most welcomed, but understand... here you enter the real world, not the contrived Mormon world of testimony Mormon hero making the bosoms of youth burn with the Holy Ghost. Let no one without good evidence and full context enter here.
We're skeptical. No, I mean it! We are also persuaded to change our minds, and I mean that too, but only when legitimate evidence shows up and is analyzed, tested, questioned, mulled over, discussed with all possible ramifications, weighed and scrutinized. If that's fair you you, it's fair for us as to how to proceed with honest, open and full disclosure discussions concerning the papyri, Joseph Smith's translations and methods, and scripture.
Sometimes, we may leave you feeling insulted. Apologies in advance, but realize Mormon deception has left us raw, and sometimes viscerally short tempered, and ill prepared for stupidity masquerading as knowledge. We had that for years already. We want light and truth now.
Feel free to come and dialogue, share, learn, laugh, cry, and wonder with us over these issues if you desire. You are most welcome to, with this caveat. This ain't gonna be Sunday School.
Best to you and yours,
Former Mormon Apologist and Co-Founder of FAIR,
Kerry A. Shirts
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Hagoth

Re: Open Letter to Kerry Muhlestein, Mormon Egyptologist

Post by Hagoth » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:00 pm

Apologeticsislying wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:48 pm
Dear Kerry,
So, we received word that you want to dialogue, and that, perhaps, you are being misunderstood, and improperly maligned with John Gee, your fellow Mormon Egyptologist apologist.
Has Muhlestein actually made such an offer? In what venue? Of course, I can't imagine he would agree to loop Dr. Ritner in on the conversation.
Apologeticsislying wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:48 pm
We're skeptical. No, I mean it! We are also persuaded to change our minds, and I mean that too, but only when legitimate evidence shows up and is analyzed, tested, questioned, mulled over, discussed with all possible ramifications, weighed and scrutinized...

...in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Apologeticsislying

Re: Open Letter to Kerry Muhlestein, Mormon Egyptologist

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:20 pm

Hagoth
Has Muhlestein actually made such an offer? In what venue? Of course, I can't imagine he would agree to loop Dr. Ritner in on the conversation.
Yes, in the Interpreter, Dan Peterson bainwashed brain child of Mormon intellectual articles........the newest edition just out. And no, of course no actual Egyptologist will ever be included in their lopsided interpretations based on the hoax of Joseph Smith's translation. Just today in his newest blog entry Peterson literally said in a Book of Abraham discussion context that both Gee and Muhlestein's egyptological views are mainstream!!! I mean the bald faced lies they tell is breath taking man!
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-