Dan Peterson Lying as a Favor to John Gee

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Apologeticsislying

Dan Peterson Lying as a Favor to John Gee

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:04 pm

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... raham.html

In the comments section of his apologetic article here, Peterson baldly declares that Gee and Muhlstein's Egyptology views are mainstream!!!! He literally says that..... Well, why can't we find any mainstream Egyptologists lecturing with them on their evidences for the Joseph Smith Papyri and Pearl of Great Price?!? I'm just curious is all..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lying is the only Mormon Gospel apologists know how to do anymore....
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Hagoth

Re: Dan Peterson Lying as a Favor to John Gee

Post by Hagoth » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:46 pm

I wonder how many people make up the community who:

a) give a damn about the Book of Abraham
b) follow the antics of people like Petersen and Gee
c) find them credible

They must number in the dozens, possibly even hundreds. If you divided the amount of money the church has invested in this charade by the number of people who actually follow and believe these men it would probably work out to be the most extravagant endeavor per capita the church has ever undertaken.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:05 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:46 pm
I wonder how many people make up the community who:

a) give a damn about the Book of Abraham
b) follow the antics of people like Petersen and Gee
c) find them credible

They must number in the dozens, possibly even hundreds. If you divided the amount of money the church has invested in this charade by the number of people who actually follow and believe these men it would probably work out to be the most extravagant endeavor per capita the church has ever undertaken.
One of Ritner's sage observations.........
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

græy

Post by græy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:39 am

Apologeticsislying wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:04 pm

In the comments section of his apologetic article here, Peterson baldly declares that Gee and Muhlstein's Egyptology views are mainstream!!!! He literally says that..... Well, why can't we find any mainstream Egyptologists lecturing with them on their evidences for the Joseph Smith Papyri and Pearl of Great Price?!? I'm just curious is all..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Their views are mainstream if you define the in-group as just containing those two people. Three if you throw Dan P. in with them.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:22 pm

græy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:39 am
Apologeticsislying wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:04 pm

Their views are mainstream if you define the in-group as just containing those two people. Three if you throw Dan P. in with them.
Yeah, they define their own mainstream, like in the BoA essay when they say stuff like (concerning Elkinah): "This deity is not mentioned in the Bible, yet modern scholars have identified it as being among the gods worshipped by ancient Mesopotamians." The ONLY scholars who this describes are a small handful of LDS church employees." They make similar claims elsewhere in that essay and in others. When footnotes are provided it always turns out that they are citing themselves. Scholarship at its finest. ;)
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."