Baptismal Covenant

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Baptismal Covenant

Post by 2bizE » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:53 am

I remember attending a wedding in the temple and the sealer referred frequently to our baptismal covenants...
The 8 year old in me has no recollection of any baptismal covenants.
What are your thoughts?
~2bizE

Linked

Re: Baptismal Covenant

Post by Linked » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:23 pm

I think there is an argument to be made that baptism at 8 years old is even worse than baptism at birth with regards to forcing someone into a religion as a child. At 8 you are incapable of truly consenting to anything, especially to what the church claims you are committing to at baptism. But you are old enough to remember it and feel like you made a commitment. So the church gets the benefit of your parents choosing for you and the benefit of you feeling like you made the choice yourself.

As for the actual covenant, I remember learning to mourn with those that mourn and that I was taking Christ's name upon me and that he would make me clean. But the actual ceremony doesn't really say anything about that.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:03 pm

Well... You're supposed to "renew your covenants" every Sunday when you eat pretend demigod flesh, and drink pretend demigod blood.

So the "Baptismal Covenant" is the words in the Magick Sacrament Incantations™, right?

(Not saying that ANY of us were actually able to understand those "covenants" at 8 years old. Not sure anyone can truly explain exactly what those "covenants" actually mean in reality...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:51 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:03 pm
(Not saying that ANY of us were actually able to understand those "covenants" at 8 years old. Not sure anyone can truly explain exactly what those "covenants" actually mean in reality...)
Ooh ooh ooh! I know this one!

You covenant to be Mormon, and there's little else to it. You talk like a Mormon, dress like one, act like one, and think like one. And in years the church is trying to pivot toward Christianity instead of away, you talk about how this is the same thing as following Jesus.

In other words, you covenant to Morm with those that Morm.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:52 pm

Reuben wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:51 pm
In other words, you covenant to Morm with those that Morm.
Damn, that is so PERFECT that describing it as perfect doesn't even do it justice.

I definitely have to attempt to commit Morm with those that Morm to the fluffy memory bank. :geek:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...