The church's real estate holdings

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Spicy McHaggis

The church's real estate holdings

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:40 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017 ... in-florida

I realize this info is fairly well known but this is a new article about the church's vast real estate holdings.

Interesting that their plans for the huge city in Florida is a long term plan, 50 to 100 years out before it's complete. So much for Jesus returning in during this, the most chosen generation's life.

tryingtogetitright

Re: The church's real estate holdings

Post by tryingtogetitright » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:56 pm

You don't think there'll be cities where people live after the Second Coming?

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:06 pm

Wait, Florida?
Not Jackson County MO?
Did I miss the 2nd Coming Memo?
What about the temple in Far West?
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:42 pm

tryingtogetitright wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:56 pm
Isn't everything & everyone except for TBMs supposed to be torched?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:57 pm

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:42 pm
And then the earth becomes a Urim and Thummim! Or, uh... A Seer Stone! Or, uh... A Peep stone! All of those things are interchangeable in mormonism, so which one is it? Maybe the earth becomes a divining rod?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:04 am

Claire Provost of The Guardian wrote:But most of this land, under the approved plan, could be transformed into a new urban landscape. By 2080, it could be home to as many as 500,000 people.
I think we now have a lower limit for the Second Coming. This project will take more than 60 years to be completed. There is less reason for us to be "hastening the work" when this project looks like corporate longevity.

tryingtogetitright

Post by tryingtogetitright » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:25 pm

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
No, just the wicked. Going to be lots of good people who believe something other than Mormonism in the Millennium.

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:25 pm

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:25 pm
Spicy McHaggis wrote:
No, just the wicked. Going to be lots of good people who believe something other than Mormonism in the Millennium.
First I should go on record saying I don't believe in any of that, a 2nd coming of Jesus and a 1,000 years of immortal humans living on earth before we move on to our kingdom, or whatever.

Now, to get on to your point: Yes good people will supposedly be alive in the millenium, but what about the destruction heading up to it? I grew up in the church when the Armageddon talk was full blast and constant. Many seminary classes and church lessons said the earth had to be baptized (the flood) then it had to be cleansed by fire (the blast furnace at the 2nd coming). So, it was my understanding that anyone and anything other than TBMs are in for a good, hot bonfire.

well wandered

Post by well wandered » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:52 pm

There should be a webpage that keeps a tally of all the Church's growing assets.

This is the first I've heard of the 371 apartment complex in a Dallas suburb for $45 million last year.

Abinidied

Post by Abinidied » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:58 pm

Thanks for posting this - I had no idea about this city.
Still under construction, Lake Nona describes itself as a “city of the future” with super-fast internet connections, “one of the top private [golf] clubs in the world” and homes ranging from luxury apartments to sprawling estates.
I propose they rename Lake Nona Sodom and/or Gomorrah. I'm also calling church headquarters to request my tithing contribution (a sickening six figure number because I'm old) go to the title of a 'sprawling estate' on Lake Nona with my name on it. Wish me luck.
Cum omnia defecerunt, ludere mortuis. (When all else fails, play dead.)
--Red Green

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:59 am

Still under construction, Lake Nona describes itself as a “city of the future” with super-fast internet connections, “one of the top private [golf] clubs in the world” and homes ranging from luxury apartments to sprawling estates.
The internet connections will be like the town's water. Free flowing and filtered. ;)
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:26 am

nibbler wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:59 am
The internet connections will be like the town's water. Free flowing and filtered. ;)
The internet speed mention made me giggle too.

The Corporation's ideal city would have ZERO internet access. Must keep mormon bubbles intact!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Seeing the church do stuff like this was a major shelf item for me. Made paying tithing even harder.

I spent a lot of money in my life on purchases I later regret. Advertising works in all of its mediums. But the one expenditure I regret the most is tithing.

The church's business activities can fail all day long. The revenue stream will not run dry. They can keep adjusting things until they become profitable and all the sunk costs are simply absorbed with time. While the membership is nervous about paying bills each month, the church is focused on what their investment will look like in 50 years.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.