What happened in General Confernce

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

What happened in General Confernce

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:14 am

Anything interesting?

I did read they are doing new temples. But isn't temple attendance down?

I remember watching the Scientology series Leah Remeni did. She showed in several episodes that the Scientology church had BIG buildings...but they were generally empty. It was their way of building the illusion of affluence and success...when in reality they were destitute of growth and numbers.

Thoughts?

alas

Re: What happened in General Confernce

Post by alas » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:28 am

Similar.

One difference is that leaders noticed back when they announced a temple every five years that there was a surge in temple attendance just after the announcement. They decided to take advantage of this surge by announcing new temples to increase temple attendance. But like taking caffeine when you need a lift, pretty soon your body adjusts to that level of caffeine and you no longer get a lift, so you need two cups, then a year later you need three. The there is a law of diminishing returns. The more temples they announce, the less excited the members are, and the smaller the surge. Like an addiction, they keep craving more and more to keep attendance to what is now normal. So, they are now locked into a pattern of needing to announce two to six temples every six months to keep attendance from tanking.

The church is SO careful not to allow members any addictive substance and they can’t even see when they have fallen into an addiction.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:57 am

alas wrote:Similar.

One difference is that leaders noticed back when they announced a temple every five years that there was a surge in temple attendance just after the announcement. They decided to take advantage of this surge by announcing new temples to increase temple attendance. But like taking caffeine when you need a lift, pretty soon your body adjusts to that level of caffeine and you no longer get a lift, so you need two cups, then a year later you need three. The there is a law of diminishing returns. The more temples they announce, the less excited the members are, and the smaller the surge. Like an addiction, they keep craving more and more to keep attendance to what is now normal. So, they are now locked into a pattern of needing to announce two to six temples every six months to keep attendance from tanking.

The church is SO careful not to allow members any addictive substance and they can’t even see when they have fallen into an addiction.
That all sounds accurate. Outside of maybe Utah county i can not imagine the can begin to fill all those buildings on any regular basis. Its really obscene in a way to throw that kind of money at something to keep up appearances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:59 am

Of course i did not listen, but considering the lack of buzz I assume nothing groundbreaking happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

fetchface

Post by fetchface » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:41 pm

No talks from Dallin Oaks on homosexuality/transgender evils? Does that mean we'll get two from him in six months to balance out?
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:20 pm

It must have been the same old bore, no one seems to be excited about anything they have said. But then again, I did already hear it lo those 40 years ago.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Random

Post by Random » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:32 pm

I didn't even realize until maybe an hour or so ago that there was a general conference recently (a thread on ldsff mentioned it; otherwise, I would have gone along still having no clue).
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:25 pm

There was an acknowledgment of the COVID-19 virus.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:14 am

Men and women are equal. Racism is bad, all races are equal.

But the pulpit continues to be dominated by white men.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:06 pm

AdmiralHoldo wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:14 am
Men and women are equal. Racism is bad, all races are equal.

But the pulpit continues to be dominated by white men.
...and the Book of Mormon makes those with a dark skin to be "loathsome".....ie, ugly.
loathsome.JPG
loathsome.JPG (94.06 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
Does this mean the church disavows the Book of Mormon?