New RFM interview with David Bokovoy about biblical scholarship and the Book of Abraham

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
jfro18

New RFM interview with David Bokovoy about biblical scholarship and the Book of Abraham

Post by jfro18 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:49 am

I just started listening this morning as I work, and it's already a must listen to. Instead of looking at the facsimiles and the scrolls, David Bokovoy is showing why the Book of Abraham is a 19th century text based on biblical scholarship.

And I'm learning new things already such as the 1834 patriarchal blessing that happens to end up in Abraham chapter 1 a year later... even though it's supposedly written by the hand of father Abraham!

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/202 ... ew-part-2/

Will post more later after I finish, but the Book of Abraham is beyond dead at this point between Hauglid, Ritner, and now Bokovoy.

fetchface

Re: New RFM interview with David Bokovoy about biblical scholarship and the Book of Abraham

Post by fetchface » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:56 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:49 am
Will post more later after I finish, but the Book of Abraham is beyond dead at this point between Hauglid, Ritner, and now Bokovoy.
Yep, it's a good one. Biblical scholarship is fascinating and it is nice to see it applied in this way.

The Book of Abraham is as false as the day is long. It's kind of sad that it took me so long to see it.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/

blazerb

Re: New RFM interview with David Bokovoy about biblical scholarship and the Book of Abraham

Post by blazerb » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:07 pm

It is a wonderful interview. Between Brian Hauglid's history, Robert Ritner's Egyptology, and now David Bokovoy's Biblical studies, the reasons for rejecting the BoA are so overwhelming. As David Bokovoy said, it isn't that we are unable to prove the church's claims are true, the problem is that we able to prove them false. I hope he writes his academic work on the BoA. I don't know that I will take the time to read it, but bringing all these lines of evidence together would be useful.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:41 pm

I'm 80 minutes in and this is great. RFM and Bokovoy share fantastic insights into scholarship, society, and of course Mormonism. Thanks all!! Bokovoy's comments about dicussions at the Church Office building with CES administrators inspired me to start the "Mormonism embraces Truth?" thread. :D

I also was impressed with a letter that Bokovoy wrote to some of his CES administrators that I thought was a great model for a sincere, humble interaction with people who believe differently than we do. It was about 1:00:00 into the podcast.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:14 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:49 am
And I'm learning new things already such as the 1834 patriarchal blessing that happens to end up in Abraham chapter 1 a year later... even though it's supposedly written by the hand of father Abraham!
Yeah, that is solid gold. I was amazed to hear something that significant for the first time. Even FAIR didn't have a better rebuttal than to say that it was some modern language that sneaked in there because Joseph just felt like it was a good place to stick it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:20 pm

I'm reading Bokovoy's Authoring the Old Testament now. It is an excellent explanation of the Documentary Hypothesis. Since it was written in 2014 it also shows Bokovoy's efforts to accommodate LDS theology. I think that he was like a lot of us- trying to make a complete puzzle out of pieces that don't fit.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:04 pm

I finished this one today on my way home from work. His stuff on biblical authorship explains a LOT. Many of the things that confused me back when I was a member are suddenly a lot clearer when you consider that it is multiple authors and documents that have been stitched together in a patchwork that we now have.

One question: David says that the documentary theory has been around for 200 years. How much was JSjr aware of it? It was stated that some of more pronounced issues with biblical authorship were discussed in the Adam Clark commentary. How much was he aware of and what was his take on it if he did know about it?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:50 am

I met David Bokovoy at Sunstone last year. He is just as pleasant in person as he sounded in the interview. And I concur with others on this thread about praise for "Authoring the Old Testament". It's a great book and easily approachable by someone without Bokovoy's academic background.