Death among us

Discussions about negotiating relationships between faithful LDS believers and the apostates who love them. This applies in particular to mixed-faith marriages, but relations with children, parents, siblings, friends, and ward members is very welcome.
SaidNobody

Death among us

Post by SaidNobody » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:51 am

Random wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:41 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:29 pm
Actually, I'd like to see where S.P.G. got those "statistics."

I've heard/seen the opposite: The actual overall death rate has increased, even though with the shutdowns, death rates have decreased in other areas, such as car accidents.

(You should start a new thread S.P.G., so we quit jacking up jfro's frustrated thread. It's probably frustrating him to him.)
I would really like the honest truth about all of this stuff. I hear "truth" and "true statistics" from both sides of the camp.
wtfluff, thank you requesting this.

Honestly, I usually cannot reproduce some stats I quote because they might be in an some article I read, or part of a conversation I had.

For example: Someone backed their truck up into my Jeep (15 years old) back in June. The insurance company told me where to take it. Of course, we did the mask, no touch, meet outside thing. Being who I am, I ask how things are going, how COVID was impacting them. The girl almost started crying. Their business had almost completely died. The damage to the Jeep wasn't that bad, it ripped off a mirror ($42 online) and left a big dent lower part of the door. I felt really bad just taking the $2000 and buying a new washer and dryer.

But, that got me to thinking and thus researching. It seems that taking 50% of the people off the road didn't reduce accidents by 50% but rather almost 100% People weren't crashing. So I looked around some more. Apparently losing your job and getting unemployment is statistically less deadly than the stress of going to work. Then from what I read, hospitals basically stopped reporting heart-attacks, or cancer deaths, or death related to medical mistakes, (~250,000 annually). We know that just because there is a pandemic people with cancer aren't suddenly healed, so some got labeled as Covid-19. The number of deaths due drugs deceased for the first time, though I'm a little unclear on the time frame for that.

I think it was an article from the NIH or something like that said "normal death" was down almost 20%. The normal risks, like driving, work related accidents, work stress, even exposure to drugs came down.

I'm open for discussion. The CDC recently released a report that said only about 6% of the death was strictly Covid-19. The other 94% involved other deadly diseases (mostly being older then the US life expectancy.) The average age of covid-19 deaths is 78 years, which is actually the life expectancy in the US. My "spidey-senses" told me early on that this was extremely contagious but not that deadly, if you got the right doctors treating it. Life is dangerous and this adds risk, but it doesn't warrant this level of panic.

My step-daughter's father (sounds weird, but we are in mixed relationships) contracted this just last week. My step daughter went her uncle's funeral (now not sure how his dead, but we know he's been on the edge for more than a year) where a total of 13 people have tested positive for covid. Her father, a life-long republican, laughed at it for the first 3 days, but then called the ambulance for he and his wife. They are doing ok, but they are close to that dangerous age. It seems that everyone will be OK, but yeah, when you can't breath, you get a little freaked out.

wtfluff

Re: Death among us

Post by wtfluff » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:41 am

SaidNobody wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:51 am
Life is dangerous and this adds risk, but it doesn't warrant this level of panic.
This is a great point that lots of people like to bring up, but it doesn't change the facts or statistics.

Here's a fact that should be taken into consideration considering the "level of panic" and related to what you mentioned: COVID is killing off the old, and the feeble among us at an astronomical rate. A civilized society would figure out how to protect those folks. We haven't done that.

So, S.P.G. If you can find the articles and studies with facts and statistics to back up your claims, please post them, otherwise I have no interest whatsoever In any further discussion.

Sorry, Anecdotes about your jeep are not convincing (for me at least.)

Edit: And since I'm spewing about "Data and Facts" I saw the "overall excess death rate" in a video. Here's a quick screen-grab of the source for that for just the USA, and a direct link to the graph where you can get more info for other countries if you like:
ExcessDeath.jpg
ExcessDeath.jpg (90.84 KiB) Viewed 3862 times

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/exce ... gion=World
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

SaidNobody

Post by SaidNobody » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:28 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:41 am

Sorry, Anecdotes about your jeep are not convincing (for me at least.)

Edit: And since I'm spewing about "Data and Facts" I saw the "overall excess death rate" in a video. Here's a quick screen-grab of the source for that for just the USA, and a direct link to the graph where you can get more info for other countries if you like:

ExcessDeath.jpg

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/exce ... gion=World
Hey, me the Jeep have been through a lot together.

I was looking these stats earlier. Apparently, death stats are a little bit like the general population census. Like if you want hard data on how many people are in America, you have to look at like 2016 and apply you observations on top of that. I have my reasons to question this data. But I am not really motivated to met your requirements for this conversation. I like to talk for the friendship and edification, not proving myself. Like, really, I've got nothing to prove.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:55 pm

SaidNobody wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:28 pm
But I am not really motivated to met your requirements for this conversation. I like to talk for the friendship and edification, not proving myself. Like, really, I've got nothing to prove.
Edited to remove fluffy snark.

"Conversation" over.

[/EndConversation!]
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...