Books & Articles about the kingdom of Deseret?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Books & Articles about the kingdom of Deseret?

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:51 am

My son is researching the history of Deseret. Can anyone recommend a not-too-biased book or maybe articles/papers?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Re: Books & Articles about the kingdom of Deseret?

Post by 2bizE » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:58 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:51 am
My son is researching the history of Deseret. Can anyone recommend a not-too-biased book or maybe articles/papers?
There was a tv show called How States Got Their Shapes had a small discussion on Deseret on the segment about Utah.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:33 pm

On July 21, 1849, Brigham Young raised the Kingdom of Deseret flag on Ensign Peak. The flag still flies at the Salt Lake City's Ensign Peak Nature Park. It helps to symbolize that Utah is both a State and a domain of the Church.

The Tribune has an excellent history column article on this once. That Google sorting engine run by the Church might have tamped it way down in the searches.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:47 am

An interesting topic, but I think there is not a lot of material to be found, unfortunately. Especially given the fact that the State of Deseret really only existed for a couple of years, despite brother Brigham's attempts to call it Deseret in the 1860s and 70s.

I know Leonard's Story of the Latter Day Saints book had a few pages on it, and the best article on those couple of years is Ronald Walker's piece found here, although he really focuses on the flag of Deseret. But it has the backstory too:

https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-cont ... N04_89.pdf

Hope that helps!
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."