Graceful Transfer of Power

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
moksha

Graceful Transfer of Power

Post by moksha » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:24 am

I am hoping that America can experience a graceful transfer of power. It is my hope that Trump supporters can accept that Biden is not going to destroy America and that they can remain peaceful.

Remain calm. If you are prone to anxiety then keep your towel close to you. For the rest of us, it will be a return to normalcy. Your body will adapt to the decrease in adrenalin. Let's give peace a chance.

When Obama won, the Saints immediately wanted to impeach him because of that less valiant in the Heaven War thing, but after a while, they saw that life in Utah would continue and no one was forcing them into monogamous same-sex marriages. The same thing applies here. They will see that Biden is not a communist and will not force them to use fluoride toothpaste. The Saints will see that Biden has no intention of returning them to the 3-hour block or getting vaccinated. The Latter-Day Saints will still yearn for Zion and Trump, but they will survive.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Not Buying It

Re: Graceful Transfer of Power

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:16 am

I really hope no one here is buying the "stolen election" nonsense", I'd like to think we are all here partly because at some point we learned to recognize nonsense when we see it. And I definitely hope none of you are the types that are making suggestions of violence - this is America, we don't reach for our guns when elections don't go the way we like.

But nothing about Trump is ever graceful, the best we can hope for is a relatively uneventful transfer of power with much whining and blubbering about how unfairly he's been treated.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:29 am

Oaks will probably not have to wrestle the power from Nelson’s cold dead hands.

But just in case...
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:18 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:29 am
Oaks will probably not have to wrestle the power from Nelson’s cold dead hands.

But just in case...
It's interesting that the Church's transfer of power policies has seen a few changes. How many prophets since Brigham Young have appeared to morph into their predecessor during a public debate? How many since John Taylor have delayed their official calling for a couple of years because they didn't have the support of all of the Twelve? How many counselors did David O. McKay have?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:43 am

Moderator note: I attempted to move this thread to the Coffee Shop but 60 seconds of intense trying to figger it out yielded no results. I'll leave it to a smarter Mod to make that change if they care, with a reminder that political commentary really belongs in that forum.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

SaidNobody

Post by SaidNobody » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:49 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:16 am
I really hope no one here is buying the "stolen election" nonsense", I'd like to think we are all here partly because at some point we learned to recognize nonsense when we see it. And I definitely hope none of you are the types that are making suggestions of violence - this is America, we don't reach for our guns when elections don't go the way we like.

But nothing about Trump is ever graceful, the best we can hope for is a relatively uneventful transfer of power with much whining and blubbering about how unfairly he's been treated.
I'm here.

I wonder if you will still feel that way when Trump wins.

CNN just took Georgia and AZ away from Biden, as of 10pm 11/09/2020

There are others coming.

You guys were so quick to cry Russia in 2016. We are crying Democrats. But this isn't a hoax. We have video, testimony, confessions, obvious violations of the law, and a president that doesn't lose.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:27 am

You have a strong case of confirmation bias. I get it. It happens to all of us.

For fun, pretend for a day that your beliefs are NOT true and try your best to find contradictory evidence against them.

We are in an unprecedented time of dangerous global misinformation, and it's difficult to crawl out of the rabbit holes and find the truth. Occam's Razor helps, but having a leader who has a relatively relaxed relationship with the truth does not help at all.

I used to feel, as did the Red Ranger of Mars, that truth is slippery and prone to readjustment over time, but relativism can be dangerous when zealots grab the microphone. Just ask Emma.

So, please hit pause, back up and look at the big picture. Some states have not been called, but the writing is all over the wall. Trump provided abundant foreshadowing that he would not bow out gracefully, nor ever concede. It's not in his nature. Let's not let his narcissism influence rational thought.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:46 am

SaidNobody wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:49 pm
I'm here.

There are others coming.

You guys were so quick to cry Russia in 2016. We are crying Democrats. But this isn't a hoax. We have video, testimony, confessions, obvious violations of the law, and a president that doesn't lose.
Quoted for future posterity... :D
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

SaidNobody

Post by SaidNobody » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:13 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:46 am
SaidNobody wrote:
I'm here.

There are others coming.

I'm not going to rub it in if Trump wins. But I might remind you that you are dealing with a stable genius.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:26 pm

SaidNobody wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:13 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:46 am
SaidNobody wrote:
I'm here.

There are others coming.

I'm not going to rub it in if Trump wins. But I might remind you that you are dealing with a stable genius.
Time will tell.

I'm also wondering: When did your M.O. Change?
SaidNobody wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:28 pm
I like to talk for the friendship and edification, not proving myself. Like, really, I've got nothing to prove.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

SaidNobody

Post by SaidNobody » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:45 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:26 pm

I'm also wondering: When did your M.O. Change?
SaidNobody wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:28 pm
I like to talk for the friendship and edification, not proving myself. Like, really, I've got nothing to prove.
I'm confused. Reminding you that Trump is a stable genius isn't proving myself, just sharing the gospel.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:20 pm

SaidNobody wrote:
I was able to find this on the CNN Business channel:
(CNN Business)As supporters of President Donald Trump continue to spread baseless allegations of voter fraud, a new theme is emerging in their attacks on the election's legitimacy.

Widespread allegations that President-elect Joe Biden "stole" the election are now tinged with unfounded claims that media outlets are rescinding their calls of certain states or are changing their projections in ways that disfavor Biden. These claims are untrue. But they continue to circulate virally on social media and show how, for online platforms, the problem of misinformation is as serious as ever.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/tech/bid ... index.html
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:32 pm

SaidNobody wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:13 pm
Ah ha! The ol' stable genius in a hat trick.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:40 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:20 pm
SaidNobody wrote:
I was able to find this on the CNN Business channel:
(CNN Business)As supporters of President Donald Trump continue to spread baseless allegations of voter fraud, a new theme is emerging in their attacks on the election's legitimacy.

Widespread allegations that President-elect Joe Biden "stole" the election are now tinged with unfounded claims that media outlets are rescinding their calls of certain states or are changing their projections in ways that disfavor Biden. These claims are untrue. But they continue to circulate virally on social media and show how, for online platforms, the problem of misinformation is as serious as ever.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/tech/bid ... index.html
Well... As far as I can tell, CNN never "gave" Georgia or Arizona to either candidate. CNN hasn't "Called" either of those states yet. How can CNN "take away" something that they never "gave" in the first place? Also the AP has never "Called" Georgia for either candidate either.

Silly Math.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:59 pm

Did you know that only 69% of the vote in Alaska has been counted and that the entire town of Cicely, Alaska has not reported in since the 90's?
-- Moksha

SaidNobody

Post by SaidNobody » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:33 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:59 pm
Did you know that only 69% of the vote in Alaska has been counted and that the entire town of Cicely, Alaska has not reported in since the 90's?
Alaska just reported for duty and support of Donald Trump. Not sure why it took so long. As you said some of the places haven't reported in a long time. But the margin was so great that it seems like they could have called it a long time ago.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:08 am

As they say at Four Seasons Total Landscaping, "Make America Rake Again". That resonates with voters who embrace Lawn and Order.
-- Moksha

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:15 am

SaidNobody wrote:
Not Buying It wrote:

I'm here.

There are others coming.

This hasn’t aged well...
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

SaidNobody

Post by SaidNobody » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:44 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:15 am
SaidNobody wrote:
Not Buying It wrote:

I'm here.

There are others coming.

This hasn’t aged well...
It isn't over yet. And even though more and more evidence and testimony and fraud it's being exposed the left would really just rather assume that it never happened. It happened. We will not rest until it has been addressed.

River Morgan2

Post by River Morgan2 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:00 pm

SaidNobody wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:44 pm
It isn't over yet. And even though more and more evidence and testimony and fraud it's being exposed the left would really just rather assume that it never happened. It happened. We will not rest until it has been addressed.
It IS over! There was no THERE there! The corpulent gentlewoman has yoohooed!

Fifty lawsuits could present not one scintilla of evidence and were each thrown out. Of courts packed with Trump appointees. Even the conservative leaning SCOTUS!

Stick a fork in it. It's done.

River
Every time you find humor in a difficult situation, you win. -Snoopy