What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:20 am

oliblish wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:50 pm
My son-in-law just got a positive test. My wife is sick and can't taste or smell anything. I am showing symptoms now as well. We are getting tested tomorrow.
Sorry to hear man. Hopefully it’s negative but the loss of taste and smell says there’s a high chance you’ve got it. My niece had it and that was her signal. She had a very mild case. Hope you do to if you test positive.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

alas

Post by alas » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:42 am

oliblish wrote:
My son-in-law just got a positive test. My wife is sick and can't taste or smell anything. I am showing symptoms now as well. We are getting tested tomorrow.
The lack of taste and smell is an indication that it is COVID. Flu never gives you that symptom. I hope it is mild and you and yours recover quickly with no lingering effects.

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:52 pm

alas wrote:
oliblish wrote:
The lack of taste and smell is an indication that it is COVID. Flu never gives you that symptom. I hope it is mild and you and yours recover quickly with no lingering effects.
Came back positive for both of us. So far symptoms are relatively mild. So far so good...
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:13 pm

oliblish wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:52 pm
alas wrote:
oliblish wrote:
Came back positive for both of us. So far symptoms are relatively mild. So far so good...
Sorry to hear. Keep us updated so we cam let the NOM ward council know.

How do you think you got it? Obviously community spread at this point but wondering if contact tracers reached out.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:44 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
oliblish wrote:
alas wrote: The lack of taste and smell is an indication that it is COVID. Flu never gives you that symptom. I hope it is mild and you and yours recover quickly with no lingering effects.

How do you think you got it? Obviously community spread at this point but wondering if contact tracers reached out.
My son in law got it first I believe. I have no idea where he got it. My daughter then probably gave it to my wife. She then gave it to me and my other child that lives at home. No way to be sure of course.

We were told we would be called by contact tracers. I doubt that since there were almost 4000 new cases in Utah today. There is no way to trace that many cases.

It is kind of frustrating because I have tried to be careful. I always wear a mask when I go out. But when my wife got it there was not much chance of me avoiding it.

Things are already tense in the house considering we are planning on getting divorced. This will probably delay things even more.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

hmb

Post by hmb » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:58 am

oliblish wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:44 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
oliblish wrote:

My son in law got it first I believe. I have no idea where he got it. My daughter then probably gave it to my wife. She then gave it to me and my other child that lives at home. No way to be sure of course.

We were told we would be called by contact tracers. I doubt that since there were almost 4000 new cases in Utah today. There is no way to trace that many cases.

It is kind of frustrating because I have tried to be careful. I always wear a mask when I go out. But when my wife got it there was not much chance of me avoiding it.

Things are already tense in the house considering we are planning on getting divorced. This will probably delay things even more.
I'm sorry to hear of your family's struggles with the virus and other problems. I hope you all end up with very mild cases at the worst. My brother also tested positive, and his case is mild so far.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:56 am

On the "plus" side?

I have a friend who's 94-year-old father caught, and recovered from the virus.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:52 pm

I was wondering if our stake would go back to online-only meetings after Governor Herbert's new guidelines but we got an email that says "What is not well understood by many is that the Governor's Executive Order, by its terms, does not apply to religious services... we understand that we are currently in compliance with the Governor's Executive Order."

Since we're doubling down on technicalities I would also like to point out that iced caramel macchiato is not technically a hot drink.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

alas

Post by alas » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:44 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:52 pm
I was wondering if our stake would go back to online-only meetings after Governor Herbert's new guidelines but we got an email that says "What is not well understood by many is that the Governor's Executive Order, by its terms, does not apply to religious services... we understand that we are currently in compliance with the Governor's Executive Order."

Since we're doubling down on technicalities I would also like to point out that iced caramel macchiato is not technically a hot drink.
The church cares more about keeping bodies in the pews that it does about the lives of the people of Utah.

The governor said no meeting of more than 10 people. I think that would apply to church, if they were not in the mood to willfully ignore instructions not to meet in groups of more than 8-10 people. Grocery Shopping was allowed too, but that doesn’t mean you get a large group together to go to the grocery store. The specific instructions for Thanksgiving was no more than the 10 people and only from 2 households. So, a family can have grandma and grandpa over for Thanksgiving. So, for church that means the bishop and his wife, and one speaker and her family can show up for sacrament meeting, and everyone else should watch from home. Oh...the sacrament! Oh well, guess they should go back to doing that at home for the whole rest of the ward.

My family is canceling all Thanksgiving get togethers, all Christmas get togethers, and I resent that the church thinks its meetings are more important than families seeing each other or visiting grandma in the rest home. But the church believes in family first right? Right? Guess not.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:11 pm

In my state (not UT), the governor explicitly stated that the rules do not apply to religious gatherings. I mean, I didn't know that viruses made exceptions like that, but what the heck do I know.

Also, what grade do they teach you that your nose and mouth are connected? I mean, a lot of people need to go back to school. I had to stop running errands today because there were way too many people in a store not wearing masks correctly including one of the employees. What more has to happen for people to take this seriously?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:06 pm

alas wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:44 pm
The governor said no meeting of more than 10 people.
Our stake splits splits the wards into groups by first letter of last name and each gets 1 sacrament meeting per month. They try to plan it so there are no more than 99 people at a meeting. I have no idea what the magic of 99 is.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:53 am

I think, but I'm not sure, that the 99 number was part of the initial matrix based on common chapel capacity and how many could attend and still safely distance.

In my ward, they started going back with no more than 100 and split the ward into two times. You could kinda decide which time, or at least they asked my family 1) if we wanted to attend and 2) at 9 or 11. The three wards that shared the building swapped Sundays, each taking one a month.

For about the last month, however, each ward has had one time slot and does just sac mtg for one hour each Sunday. There is no limit to how many can attend, but rope off every other pew. Us folks in the back sort of social distance ourselves in the cultural hall spill off. About half of us wear masks. They live stream with zoom and have the talks first and then they turn off the zoom and do sacrament and the people watching via zoom can do sac in their homes. No other meetings and no other parts of the building are regularly used as far as I know.

We like the arrangement. Going from 3 hours to 2 was great, and going to 1 hour is even better. Get a little spiritual thought, get a little snack, head on home.

What I don't understand... When we first started back, they seemed diligent about cleaning up the mike after someone talked and cleaning/wiping down the piano/organ and pews after we were done (and yes we'd help with this) , but now they don't seem to worry about it, or if someone does it, it's less apparent. We still don't sing, people on the stand are masked, but they all unmask to speak (seems counter intuitive, but maybe easier to hear . still, they have a mic in their face).

This is AZ

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:54 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:53 am
About half of us wear masks.
Wait. Is there no mask mandate in AZ? This is so irresponsible either way.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Its fascinating to me how the lawsuits from churches and businesses are overriding the best scientific knowledge.

America will kill itself off via rugged individualism and personal "rights".

Meanwhile, other countries govts incentivise compliance and they are succeeding, at least, more than we are.

My employer is fiscally conservative and so my health is at risk.

Waiting on my governor to shut things down again.

But my governor has covid.

I did a FaceTime with my grandma and she's not looking good. I haven't seen her in a year. This sucks all around.

PS- Utah gets around the "gatherings of 10 people" because they specify social gatherings. Religious gatherings I believe are <99.

Newme

Post by Newme » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:47 pm

glass shelf wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:11 pm
In my state (not UT), the governor explicitly stated that the rules do not apply to religious gatherings. I mean, I didn't know that viruses made exceptions like that, but what the heck do I know.

Also, what grade do they teach you that your nose and mouth are connected? I mean, a lot of people need to go back to school. I had to stop running errands today because there were way too many people in a store not wearing masks correctly including one of the employees. What more has to happen for people to take this seriously?
;)
Yeah, this special virus doesn’t like riots, big stores like walmart - and though it used to LOVE churches, now it changed its mind (can viruses have faith crisis’?)... so confusing. :lol:

The modern history of medical masks began not as a way to stop viruses, but as a way to keep spit from falling when surgeons talked as they operated. Masks help to stop spit, but obviously they do not stop people from breathing in or out thus they don’t stop respiratory virus spread.

What masks do is limit oxygen & increase carbon dioxide (which contributes to other problems) & masks cause skin and dental problems, besides bad breath. As Fauci said, “You don’t need a mask. They’re just symbolic at this point.”

What grade do they teach you that?

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:34 pm

Newme wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:47 pm
The modern history of medical masks began not as a way to stop viruses, but as a way to keep spit from falling when surgeons talked as they operated. Masks help to stop spit, but obviously they do not stop people from breathing in or out thus they don’t stop respiratory virus spread.

What masks do is limit oxygen & increase carbon dioxide (which contributes to other problems) & masks cause skin and dental problems, besides bad breath. As Fauci said, “You don’t need a mask. They’re just symbolic at this point.”

Virus particles do get through or around masks, but it's not the same amount that would be breathed out directly. If we reduce people's average exposure to virus particles, we reduce the virus's reproduction number.

I can't find your Fauci quote. I did find him saying that the mask is also symbolic.

You gotta watch out for false dichotomies.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 pm

One of my best friends has symptoms.

She has been so careful. She almost quit her job to avoid it.

Her coworker has been at work sick all week and was afraid of the nasal swab.

Coworker finally was tested and its positive. So my friend likely is positive also.

My house is the safe space for LGBT Teens. I figure its just a matter of time so I'm staying well hydrated and taking vitamins and sending them home as much as I feel is safe for them to not be here.

Just a matter of time.

I think my governor will shut us down by Tuesday.

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:14 am

My brother-in-law was just released from the hospital. He was in a bad way. Fingers crossed he stays on the mend. My brother's symptoms are still mild. Nasty stuff. We aren't going to anyone's house for the holidays (which is truly okay by me). My sister wanted to come visit for Thanksgiving, but I told her to change her plans. I'm okay with being a &itch for making that decision :roll: .

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:54 am

Newme wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:47 pm

Here's what the CDC is actually saying about masks:
Source Control to Block Exhaled Virus
Multi-layer cloth masks block release of exhaled respiratory particles into the environment,3-6 along with the microorganisms these particles carry.7,8 Cloth masks not only effectively block most large droplets (i.e., 20-30 microns and larger)9 but they can also block the exhalation of fine droplets and particles (also often referred to as aerosols) smaller than 10 microns ;3,5 which increase in number with the volume of speech10-12 and specific types of phonation.13 Multi-layer cloth masks can both block up to 50-70% of these fine droplets and particles3,14 and limit the forward spread of those that are not captured.5,6,15,16 Upwards of 80% blockage has been achieved in human experiments that have measured blocking of all respiratory droplets,4 with cloth masks in some studies performing on par with surgical masks as barriers for source control.3,9,14

Filtration for Personal Protection
Studies demonstrate that cloth mask materials can also reduce wearers’ exposure to infectious droplets through filtration, including filtration of fine droplets and particles less than 10 microns. The relative filtration effectiveness of various masks has varied widely across studies, in large part due to variation in experimental design and particle sizes analyzed. Multiple layers of cloth with higher thread counts have demonstrated superior performance compared to single layers of cloth with lower thread counts, in some cases filtering nearly 50% of fine particles less than 1 micron .14,17-29 Some materials (e.g., polypropylene) may enhance filtering effectiveness by generating triboelectric charge (a form of static electricity) that enhances capture of charged particles18,30 while others (e.g., silk) may help repel moist droplets31 and reduce fabric wetting and thus maintain breathability and comfort.
They cite 45 studies in the References: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... -cov2.html

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:07 pm

2,701 new coronavirus cases reported in Utah on Tuesday along with 11 deaths.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha